How is this phone taking 38MP images and what is 2GB RAM doing?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain this from a technical perspective? The S4 chipset does not support over 20MP so how is this being achieved?

And is 2GB solely for the camera or is multitasking being helped by it?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain this from a technical perspective? The S4 chipset does not support over 20MP so how is this being achieved?

And is 2GB solely for the camera or is multitasking being helped by it?
First off, look at the 808 PureView. If the S4 can't handle 20 MP, why can the lowly ARM11 CPU on it do so? The answer is a powerful dedicated camera processor.

For the second, I'd recommend you look into the fact that the 1020 saves both 38 MP and 5 MP versions of the photo. So, naturally, that takes up a lot of RAM.
Of course, there's also the issue of WP multitasking not being as efficient as Symbian.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A nice side effect of the extra RAM is when the OS is updated to support better multitasking the 1020 will be able to take full advantage of it. Hopefully, anyway. :)

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't there an article saying Nokia had worked directly with the chipset manufacturer to handle the sensor, so they didn't need the extra camera processor?

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

ArguableChutoy

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
AnandTech | Some Thoughts About the Lumia 1020 Camera System

One of my big questions when I heard that 41 MP PureView tech was coming to Windows Phone was what the silicon implementation would look like, since essentially no smartphone SoCs out of box support a 41 MP sensor, certainly none of the ones Windows Phone 8 GDR2 currently supports. With the PureView 808, Nokia used a big dedicated ISP made by Broadcom to do processing. On the Lumia 1020, I was surprised to learn there is no similar dedicated ISP (although my understanding is that it was Nokia?s prerogative to include one), instead Nokia uses MSM8960 silicon for ISP. Obviously the MSM8960 is only specced for up to 20 MP camera support, Nokia?s secret sauce is making this silicon support 41 MP and the PureView features (oversampling, subsampling, lossless on the fly zoom) through collaboration with Qualcomm and rewriting the entire imaging stack themselves. I would not be surprised to learn that parts of this revised imaging solution run on Krait or Hexagon DSP inside 8960 to get around the limitations of its ISP. I suspect the Lumia 1020 includes 2 GB of LPDDR2 partly to accommodate processing those 41 MP images as well. Only with the next revision of Windows Phone (GDR3) will the platform get support for MSM8974 which out of box supports up to 55 MP cameras

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills