Should I upgrade to the 1020 from my 920?

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't see that much of a difference from the specs side of things, my 920 has a 1.5ghz dual core, 32gb just like the 1020, except the 41MP camera and the 2gb of ram and a few things here and there, no mayor changes, anything that can make go like wow I really need to upgrade to the 1020 if u can even call it an upgrade, and that 300 dollar price.. OUCH!.. I love you Nokia but lets focus more on better specs than just megapixels and cool photos.. My opinion anyways.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
A lot more to the 1020 camera than just a larger sensor, you also get Amber update sooner, and of course the AMOLED instead of the IPS.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1020 is a premium device, nokia has worked for years to get to 41MP and it will take other companies years to figure out how to do it. The 300$ is justified and I cannot tell you the pleasure of having to take a picture and not worry about blurring or screwing up.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
1020 is a premium device, nokia has worked for years to get to 41MP and it will take other companies years to figure out how to do it. The 300$ is justified and I cannot tell you the pleasure of having to take a picture and not worry about blurring or screwing up.
Agreed. The image stabilization in the 1020 is leagues ahead of any other phone and many cameras under $1000, it has a new type of barrel shift actuators! The phone slightly rattles when shaken, the "sound of blur-free photos" according to Nokia.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Good point but that's what im referring to, In my opinion I don't feel comfortable paying 300$ just for a 41mp camera phone. Can you convince me that the 1020 its better than other phones like the note 2 which has a better CPU, GPU and a 3100 mAh battery? For the same price. Just an example.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The 1020, imo, is made for photographers in mind, such as those who are hobbyist and pros who just want a point and shoot that works. Not necessarily for the general consumer who just take photos every once in a while. To me the 920 allows low light photos, which is when most consumer photos happen because social things usually happen in the evening. Yes we would benefit from the oversampling, but consumers are usually taking photos for Facebook, not so much for post processing and printing, which is what the 1020 seems to be geared for.
For most people who are excited for this, I'd say most of them just want to own the flagship device, the best device that Nokia is offering, i.e. supporters of Nokia. The rest are actually enthusiasts who in their daily lives benefit from the camera tech offered vs just being able to show off to buddies.
So to answer the question, I think 920 users shouldn't upgrade to the 1020, unless they absolutely need that camera tech that can make changes in their lives (photography is a serious hobby/lifestyle). If that isnt you, just wait for the Amber update which should bring all the algorithms that the 925 and 1020 are using.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Stop being conflicted, each device is meant for different things.
Note 2 has its own unique feature that is a giant screen, that is it's USP.

iPhone 5 32gb , no idea why it is 300$, has its own unique feature, herds of people who buy anything apple puts out.I am sorry but that is how it is
Lumia 1020 has its USP which is its camera years ahead of its competitors.
So, ask yourself, do you want a phone with a stunning camera and lag free OS albeit with lesser apps or u want a gigantor :D or an iPhone.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would wait till the 920 gets the amber update and the pro camera software that the 1020 has. Then see. from what I am seeing there is not a HUGE difference in pictures . You have to zoom in on the 1020's pics to see the difference.

I would wait till the real phones get released at the end of this year. the ones with quad core cpus, and 1080p resolution screens. Would you be kicking yourself if you got the 1020 and in dec say a 1120 was released tha thad quadcore, 2 gig ram, 1080p screen and the same 41mp pureview sensor?

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I would wait till the 920 gets the amber update and the pro camera software that the 1020 has. Then see. from what I am seeing there is not a HUGE difference in pictures . You have to zoom in on the 1020's pics to see the difference.

I would wait till the real phones get released at the end of this year. the ones with quad core cpus, and 1080p resolution screens. Would you be kicking yourself if you got the 1020 and in dec say a 1120 was released tha thad quadcore, 2 gig ram, 1080p screen and the same 41mp pureview sensor?
Yeah I would rather wait.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you already have a 920, I wouldn't recommend upgrading unless you're a) determined to have the best possible camera experience, b) a trendy gadget owner wanting the latest greatest to show off to iSheep and Gewwgle fans, or c) both a and b.

The 92X will get the latest Amber camera updates and unless you really need to zoom for your photo-taking, it's not a compelling upgrade. If you're using any other phone at all, well then it's a question of your budget and photography needs... at which point you should be choosing either 92X or 1020 based on those needs and budget.[INFO][/INFO]

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I tell you what, I have the 920 and I'm not going to get the 1020. Other than the camera it's a 920 in disguise, like most have said if you need to keep up with the jones go ahead. If you truly want an worthy upgrade wait for the true flagship to be released.

jameslew

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
How do the 925 and the 1020 compare?

I have my 920, and it's fine. Well, aside from disliking the squishy buttons and dust obscuring my front facing camera it's fine. I've thought about switching to a 925 over on T-Mobile and selling the 920 to cover the EIP. The camera on the 925 seems to be better than the 920 as well. Thoughts, anyone played with all three?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It depends what you're looking to do... in terms of the phone, remember you have to buy a separate wireless charging case (compared to 920), if that matters to you, and you have to switch carriers or get it unlocked and bring it back to AT&T. On the other hand, it's slimmer and lighter... but is that enough to justify the cost? Now, T-Mobile generally has weaker service compared to AT&T, but not always. Check for your coverage area. If it's viable from a carrier switch perspective, then the amount you save on T-Mo plans pays for the phone, so yeah... might be a good idea.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
People are always saying wait for upgraded hardware but what exactly will that upgraded hardware bring to the table on WP, a little extra speed, slightly crisper screen but what else that is actually a tangible benefit? Any evidence of that on the S4 with its 8 cores?

It seems the way innovation is measured today is simply by how many cores you have, how much RAM is installed and how big your screen can be. Personally, I think the 1020 is a better upgrade than any future upgraded device because the area in which it offers improvement is tangible while all those cores will be waiting along with the ones on android devices to be utilized to their full extent.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. However, while the particular feature is tangible, it's also only a minor upgrade since the rest is fairly equal. Hard to justify the cost. If he had anything but a 92X, it'd be more obvious.

jameslew

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I guess what I need to do is just wait a couple of weeks and see what shakes out. I'm also sort of interested to see if they add more differentiated software features that eventually only work on the 1020. Patience is a hard thing ;-).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos