Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    nokia_lumia_1020_yellow_camera.jpg

The Nokia Lumia 1020's release is so close, you can almost touch it. But for some of you still on the fence, you may have some technical questions.

So for the next few hours, I'll be tackling what you throw at me as best as I can (remember, I have a site to run too).
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Central
    Email: daniel@windowscentral
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    1st......to ask a question does the 2gbs of ram make the phone faster say from the 920,925,925. I know its more for the camera but does the OS gain a little more from it
    First I played with a green robot, then I ate a shiny apple, now I'm going to lay tiles

ANY idea at all when we can expect a UK release date? I realise this isn't to do directly with the phone itself....
    Developer

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Hey Dan can you confirm the focus on the pro camera does/doesn't lock? Meaning it has to search every time you snap a picture. The iphone camera works which locks in automatically or locks in where you tap then you just keep tapping the shutter button and it will snap away unhindered. I am really hoping they change this in the pro camera software as that has an on screen shutter button.
    Apps:
    Weather Smiles - Weather Live tile with 2 locations 1 tile and a smilie :)
    My 500px / My 500px Free - 500px website viewer plus upload, account access and lockscreen wallpaper
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricbon View Post
    1st......to ask a question does the 2gbs of ram make the phone faster say from the 920,925,925. I know its more for the camera but does the OS gain a little more from it
    Good question and I've done some initial tests. It doesn't feel sluggish at all, but for launching apps, loading web pages etc. it doesn't look different compared to a 920. So if there is a gain from having an extra 1GB of RAM, it's very small and most won't notice.
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allymonty View Post
    ANY idea at all when we can expect a UK release date? I realise this isn't to do directly with the phone itself....
    Late August/September? That's all we're hearing so far for ROTW.
    Daniel Rubino
    Resident Developer

Is it at all possible to get to the 38mp photos without connecting the device to a PC (such as uploading the originals to Skydrive?)
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 and BIGPADDY like this.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Visual/style question: how visible is the camera bump on the phone when kept in your pocket? Thanks for the AUA!
    WhiteNiteLite likes this.

Is there a way I can play ATT to swap my 920 and get this one? I am already trying to convince my wife whose iPhone contract is up, but just in case that doesn't work out :)
    WhoRUx3 likes this.

I love my Lumia 920 and the ability to take great pictures. I am tempted to use another upgrade to get the 1020 but I am not sure if I should wait. I know that there are new phones that will continue to be released but I am on the fence about upgrading. I have a newborn and a 2 year old so the ability to take great pictures at a moments notice is big. How would you describe the ability of the 1020 to rapidly take pictures or describe the responsiveness in situations where you would need to take a "quick" picture of a child in the moment?

Thanks
    Thanked by:
    irvin792 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,045 Global Posts
    Have you heard anything for a Canadian release, and with the wireless charging plate attached how much does it add in weight and height compared to a 920? Thanks.
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moc426 View Post
    Hey Dan can you confirm the focus on the pro camera does/doesn't lock? Meaning it has to search every time you snap a picture. The iphone camera works which locks in automatically or locks in where you tap then you just keep tapping the shutter button and it will snap away unhindered. I am really hoping they change this in the pro camera software as that has an on screen shutter button.
    It does lock and you can throw it into full manual, which is really awesome.
    Daniel Rubino

From what I recall on another site's review is that you have to plug the camera into the PC.
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    Is it at all possible to get to the 38mp photos without connecting the device to a PC (such as uploading the originals to Skydrive?)
    Only on the AT&T version as those people can use AT&T Locker to back up the full res photos. Everyone else --> PC.
    Daniel Rubino

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Question, the camera surround is aluminum correct? So not that I use them often, but those magnetic lenses you reviewed for the L920, do they stick on without the little ring? Could be useful for future stick on lenses with that sensor. Have you tried it yet?
    Here i go
    - Is there any kind of "sharpness control " In Nokia pro camera? It was present In 808.
    - Is it able to put off the phone 38 mpx pics without using a pc? For example dropbox/SkyDrive/email
    - how grainy (noisy) are 800 ISO pics at full res compared to Lumia 920?
    - which is the highest ISO level you can select manually? And what about automatically set iso, forcing a fast shutter speed and +2ev overexposed pic In very low light? What is the max iSO level In that situation?

Enviado desde mi VOYO A15 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Eddy Praet likes this.
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrock107 View Post
    Visual/style question: how visible is the camera bump on the phone when kept in your pocket? Thanks for the AUA!
    Not that visible, but I haven't worn to many "fancy pants" with it either. Overall, I'd rather carry the 1020 than the 920 due to weight.
    Daniel Rubino

@ricbon's question about the RAM is really interesting.
    could you therefore test Halo Spartan Assault on it? It lags sometimes on the Lumia 920, shouldn't happen with the Nokia Lumia 1020, I hope.

my questions are: What is your personal opinion about the design of the Lumia 1020?
    It has this huge camera-thing on it's back, but is this camera really worth the compromise that it looks somehow weird? How does it feel in the palm? Do you notice the camera when carrying it?

Hi! How is the audio recording quality?
    Happy WP user :P
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jholso View Post
    Question, the camera surround is aluminum correct? So not that I use them often, but those magnetic lenses you reviewed for the L920, do they stick on without the little ring? Could be useful for future stick on lenses with that sensor. Have you tried it yet?
    will have to dig mine up, not sure where they rolled off too
    Daniel Rubino

Two questions:

1. Any info/whispers/leaks/anything on a possible 1025 later this year or next?

2. How fast does it fill up if you're taking pictures in conjunction with apps/music/etc?

Thanks!
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminatic View Post
    Hi! How is the audio recording quality?
    Stellar. It does stereo now.
    Daniel Rubino

In your well opinión, Nokia 808 or Lumia 1020?
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Watson View Post
    How would you describe the ability of the 1020 to rapidly take pictures or describe the responsiveness in situations where you would need to take a "quick" picture of a child in the moment?

Thanks
    The Pro Camera is "fast" in the sense it can shoot high ISO. So you can get one really good "fast" shot. But due to the 2 sec render, you won't be able to do action shots e.g. rapid fire. That's why Nokia has Smart Cam though, which you can also make the default camera app/launcher.
    Daniel Rubino

Will see lumia 920 vs lumia 1020 in low light? Thanks.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast