ATT will unlock off-contract Lumia 1020?

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to 2 ATT customer reps, they said they'll unlock Lumia 1020 for me once I get the phone if I paid it in full off-contract. I hope they're not bsing me. I just ordered a Lumia 1020 from Microsoft store. Hopefully I'll get it by Friday or Earlier. Does anyone know where to buy the wireless charging cover?

Has anyone gotten a Lumia 1020 off-contract and called ATT to unlock it?

**update: AT&T can now unlock your Lumia 1020, either call or chat with a rep online to get the code.**

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Reps are notorious for not knowing what they are talking about so I would call back and see if another rep gives you the same info, going on past form I doubt very much they will unlock it.

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
oh man :( I spoke to 3 reps.. 2 said they'll unlock it, just have to give them the imei number of the phone. 1 said not sure. It does sound like they have the access to the unlock codes. If not, hopefully someone will come out with a tool to manually unlock it.

I am currently using N9. I finally decided to get a windows phone only because of the camera and I really like the yellow phone with black cover, looks really good.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Was the same situation with the L920, and people had to wait the 6 months until the exclusivity was up before att or 3rd parties would unlock it. Its a risk, maybe they have changed their policy regarding unlocking phones but its very possible you could be waiting a while to get it unlocked. However Negri Electronics have unlocked versions listed so that may actually be your best bet.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I dunno. Negri-electronics and Expansys USA both have the phone for preorder as AT&T unlocked devices. This was not the case with the 920. I just bought the 925, so I'll wait a bit and see but it looks like we could be getting these unlocked soon.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting that they negri-electronics claims its an unlocked atnt 1020.

Guess we will have to wait and see what is up this rounds.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I would want verification in writing from whatever department issues the unlock codes that they will be handing them out before the exclusivity period ends before I spent money on the phone with the assumption that I could get it unlocked.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Negri is showing pre-orders for the unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020.
That means, they will ship when they receive it...its not clear when they will receive it - could be next week, or could be after the exclusivity ends.
I have bought several phones from them - they have all been global variants of some sort from different regions...
Beware.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a 99.9% chance that they will have you wait 6 months before they give you an unlock code. Don't buy anything that it's not factory unlocked (and it's not clear when such devices will be available). Also, it is very likely that international variations of LTE devices have incompatible LTE frequencies for the US. Sorry!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are willing to pay full price for a phone and they do not unlock it. then walk away! You can get the unlocked device from other sources. Its there loss.

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
guess I might have to cancel the order ;( Microsoft store's order is approved but still says "awaiting inventory". if negri-electronics doesnt charge sales tax, I think I might order from them. ordering from ms store after tax total amt is $771.88.

Would be nice if someone that already bought and recieved an off-contract lumia 1020 can call att to confirm it.

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 1020 off-contract and paid in full. The rep sent me to the att.com/unlockdevice site and when I entered my IMEI it said: Currently, this device cannot be unlocked. I'll give it 1-2 weeks and try again before I try more reps on the phone, but hopefully they have access to the unlock codes and can give them to us. If they don't have access to them it'll be a problem.

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got the phone today from the microsoft store in new york. they also give free camera grip, and a $10 dollar app credit, but not the$50 store credit because it's only if you sign up for 2 year contract; I bought the phone off-contract.

Called ATT customer service, gave them the imei, said the the device is not eligible for unlock yet but she said she'll put in a case for me to request for an unlock code. She said it'll take about a week.

DyeLongJustice

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
People went through this process with the 920, and it was a no go. Let us know how it works out for you! I think remember one person who did get it unlocked, but they had to raise a huge stink, called multiple times, and finally somehow got an unlock code. It will not be easy for most people, I'm afraid :/

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
People went through this process with the 920, and it was a no go. Let us know how it works out for you! I think remember one person who did get it unlocked, but they had to raise a huge stink, called multiple times, and finally somehow got an unlock code. It will not be easy for most people, I'm afraid :/

tried different things and no dice no way to get it unlocked, and I kind of need it to use it overseas ugh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa