Some 1020 vs 808 comparisons i found in the web today

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
exactly, she looks nice and while there are very good women photographers out there I don't think she is the one(not judging only by that one pic)

Well she does get her work published in magazines and gets paid for weddings, so some people I guess would like her enough to pay for her work :)

Regardless, If you look at the reviews at connect.dpreview.com, they are pretty detailed and their results do make sense. In the 1020 preview, she does point out both the camera' virtues and some of its pitfalls. One of which, no other review else seemed to notice was the lens flaring in this and the 808, probably due to the larger lens structure and no hood, but it does happen, which will have to be a consideration, at least for me. This would be my backup camera for my smaller M4/3 kit and the one I always have with me. Currently the S4 can do it ok, but it doesn't have the easy manual controls as the 1020 and it is a little too aggressive on the NR, which I cannot adjust. I'm also a fan of the larger sensor size and would like the quality to be top notch. I don't mind the grain since I prefer details, and my workflow always puts all my photos through lightroom anyways, which has a good NR filter, probably better than camera on board NR can handle. Details are important though.

I would consider the 808 as well, but this would also be my phone, and there just aren't the apps I use on symbian, so that is a non starter for me.

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
the choice is easy for you then

Hopefully. Will see more samples and reviews I'm guessing. So far it does look like they are all positive, but I'll probably want to wait for one of the more respected photography review sites to get their full review in though. Most interested in comparison. Only thing I saw in another thread that would put a slight damper is the inability to open to default camera pro app w/o entering a passcode when set.

I remember for the MS camera app, you could open the camera app from lockscreen and it would pop straight into the camera app to do a quick photo. It seems, because the Pro camera app is 3rd party, when you hold the camera button from lockscreen, it will make you enter your passcode before it lets you go into the app. I have to have a passcode since I will be using it for corporate email.

There has been talk of getting around this through kids corner and setting the camera pro app through there to get into the camera quickly. Can anyone with a 920 or so verify you can add a 3rd party camera app to kids corner? I think Smart cam would be treated the same as pro cam in this regard.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest better look at samples from flickr etc. than reviewers, because some of them have very very strange criteria :D

1020 will be the best cameraphone (at least among "ordinary" phones) for a long time, be sure of that...

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest better look at samples from flickr etc. than reviewers, because some of them have very very strange criteria :D

1020 will be the best cameraphone (at least among "ordinary" phones) for a long time, be sure of that...

Very true! That's why I don't really read them for the conclusion and score since we have no idea what criteria they use. Mostly just see them for detailed explanations and and controlled environment samples for me to gauge by my own eyes.

I'll definitely be looking at the samples posted in photo sharing sites as well.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If they have the same photo quality, that's good.

808 owners will be happy with their choice, so will 1020 owners. :)

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
If I had a 1020, I would take pics of me & her doing stuff and post them to the internet. The pics would be awesome, full of detail, and the colors would be accurate.

I have to admit, this made me laugh a little.
Got some strange looks from the people at work when I did.

Nazir Ibrahim

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
with the difference that 808 could be made to look the same like 1020 in those pictures where you consider 1020 to be better ;)

Those are based on my judgement. Maybe you will find it different. As I said, both are good and the differences are quite small. Here is my opinion (my preference)
1st photo - 808
2nd photo - 808
3rd photo - 1020
4th photo - 1020
5th photo - 1020
6th photo - 1020
7th photo - 808
8th photo - 808
9th photo - 808
10th photo - 1020

Maybe you guys have different opinion, pls share

N

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I finally had a chance to stop by an AT&T store and shoot couple of shots with both phones.

So, I think so far all the comps I've seen had the 808 on 85% jpeg processing, I am yet to see a reviewer set the jpeg processing to superfine on the 808.. so I did that.

Also, for the first two shots I set the 808 to 8Mpix pureview mode, instead of 5, which brings down the pixel combinations from 7:1 / 1 to .. probably about 5:1, which should result in loss of IQ.

And finally, I had both phones on full automatic for everything else, and for some reason the 1020 chose higher ISO speeds. I really don't understand this. Considering that it has a faster lens, OIS, and .. BSI, why is it shooting at higher ISO speeds ? It doesn't make any sense.

I mean, yes, the ISO scale for the 1020 starts at 50 points higher than the 808 in general, but still...

Anyway, like I suspected, the 808 will have the upper hand in terms of IQ regardless of the conditions.. I am 100% certain of that. I will go back there tomorrow and set both phones at 200 iso and see what happens.. I am curious to see what would happen to the shutter speeds on the 1020.

100% crop
Cox98Jb.jpg

100% crop
WipjjvV.jpg

100% crop
VhqNrv7.jpg

100% crop
nozKlgz.jpg

100% crop
nC36e1c.jpg

100% crop
VaBvzt1.jpg

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Both phones should at least have the same ISO when comparing. Would also make sense to compare the high res files as well, especially if zooming/cropping aggressively.

In any case, the white balance looks better on 808 but resolution and detail is clearly better on the 1020, which is impressive given the 1020's higher ISO setting.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Dunno why they set 1020 to shoot such high ISO. 1020 shots are 1/60 and 808 are 1/40 second. Same shutter speeds and both would probably chose same ISO value. This is why everyone should always set values manually since auto settings doesn't give best results. At least set either shutter speed or ISO manually.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I will just lock the iso next time.. I guess they set the 1020 to shoot at higher ISO to prevent blurriness from movement, I mean.. 1/40 is cutting it close when it comes to hand shake, 1/60 is better.

Even if you subtract the 50 difference between the two (1020 starts at 100, 808 at 50), the difference is still too big..

But I thought the BSI sensor and the OIS were supposed to help with all that.

Here is the iso for each one in the same order I posted them

All the 808 shots are at 1/40th and all the 1020 are at 1/60

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Both phones should at least have the same ISO when comparing. Would also make sense to compare the high res files as well, especially if zooming/cropping aggressively.

In any case, the white balance looks better on 808 but resolution and detail is clearly better on the 1020, which is impressive given the 1020's higher ISO setting.

it's not detail but edge enhancement

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
it's not detail but edge enhancement

I respectfully disagree. You can only edge enhance detail that exists. Said another way, you cannot edge enhance something into existance.

Look at the last two crops showing AT&T on the left and Victoria Secret on the right. Now look at the ceiling tiles. The 1020 shows the ceiling tiles but the 808 does not. If that's called edge enhancement then bring it on, I'll take that level of detail every day and twice on Sundays. Noise can be dealt with but nothing can be done to extract those tiles out of the 808.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I will just lock the iso next time.. I guess they set the 1020 to shoot at higher ISO to prevent blurriness from movement, I mean.. 1/40 is cutting it close when it comes to hand shake, 1/60 is better.

Even if you subtract the 50 difference between the two (1020 starts at 100, 808 at 50), the difference is still too big..

But I thought the BSI sensor and the OIS were supposed to help with all that.

Here is the iso for each one in the same order I posted them

All the 808 shots are at 1/40th and all the 1020 are at 1/60

If OIS is equally good like in 920 you can take sharp pictures even at 1/3 shutter speeds. If you support your body or arms in to something, even 1/2 shots are possible. I can take those shots even when using physical camera button. Pro camera software allows you to pre focus before shot and then using camera button from screen which allows you to keep phone even more steady when taking photo. I think it is more like they wanted freeze motion from moving objects, people and stuff.

100 or 200 ISO is very doable if OIS works and there is no moving objects in your shots that you don't want get blurred. Low light shots that i have seen when 400 ISO is used are quite low noise and gives you room to take pretty damn good photos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12