Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. hwalker84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    So now that I have my Lumia 1020 in hand the first thing I wanted to try was seeing if the Pro Cam app would quick launch with a password protected phone. It doesn't. You still have to input your password.
    strikeIII likes this.
  2. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,933 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I guess that makes sense since it's a 3rd party app and doesn't replace the default camera. I will be using the stock camera app as my default then.
    strikeIII likes this.
  3. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Good to know. I was just about to post this question on why I'm now entering my PIN when I launch the Camera. I will be changing to default myself.
  4. Stil_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I'm actually disappointed to hear this. I would be hooking this up with my corporate exchange email, which has a password policy. I wanted the Pro app to be the default and be available for lock screen quick photos too. :(
  5. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,933 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Same issue with smart cam, gotta put the passcode before using it.
  6. techiedude007's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Any chance we could get a workaround for this? Software patch? Maybe assign it to Kids Corner so you can swipe to Kids Corner and launch the camera/app? Just throwing ideas at the wall and see if something sticks. I haven't used WP8 or Kids Corner yet so I don't know their limitations...
  7. Stil_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by techiedude007 View Post
    Any chance we could get a workaround for this? Software patch? Maybe assign it to Kids Corner so you can swipe to Kids Corner and launch the camera/app? Just throwing ideas at the wall and see if something sticks. I haven't used WP8 or Kids Corner yet so I don't know their limitations...
    Ahh, was just thinking the same thing in another thread. Can anyone with a WP8 phone verify with the smart cam app in kids corner? That should be treated the same way as the pro cam.
  8. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by techiedude007 View Post
    Any chance we could get a workaround for this? Software patch? Maybe assign it to Kids Corner so you can swipe to Kids Corner and launch the camera/app? Just throwing ideas at the wall and see if something sticks. I haven't used WP8 or Kids Corner yet so I don't know their limitations...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stil_1 View Post
    Ahh, was just thinking the same thing in another thread. Can anyone with a WP8 phone verify with the smart cam app in kids corner? That should be treated the same way as the pro cam.
    Just tried the kids corner idea but you still need to enter your password or PIN to access the kids corner first to launch the Pro Cam or Smart Cam apps.
  9. Stil_1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeIII View Post
    Just tried the kids corner idea but you still need to enter your password or PIN to access the kids corner first to launch the Pro Cam or Smart Cam apps.
    Dang, so kids corner needs a passcode? why? Isn't the corner so kids can't mess up the phone or get access to things they shouldn't be? If they need to enter your pass code to get into that feature, what is the value add in that? They could then just get into your regular phone too, right? Sorry, not too sure how it works with a passcode :)
  10. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stil_1 View Post
    Dang, so kids corner needs a passcode? why? Isn't the corner so kids can't mess up the phone or get access to things they shouldn't be? If they need to enter your pass code to get into that feature, what is the value add in that? They could then just get into your regular phone too, right? Sorry, not too sure how it works with a passcode :)
    I agree. I don't know why you should need a passcode for kids corner espcially since you have control of what apps can go in there.
  11. hwalker84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stil_1 View Post
    Dang, so kids corner needs a passcode? why? Isn't the corner so kids can't mess up the phone or get access to things they shouldn't be? If they need to enter your pass code to get into that feature, what is the value add in that? They could then just get into your regular phone too, right? Sorry, not too sure how it works with a passcode :)
    Yes I believe if you have a passcode then Kids corner shares that same passcode which is stupid.
  12. videian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Apple is the only one that has gotten this simple function right..
  13. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by videian View Post
    Apple is the only one that has gotten this simple function right..
    It works find with the default Camera App it's just the Pro or Smart Cam would be nice to have launch instead.
  14. TexasLabRat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    385 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post
    Yes I believe if you have a passcode then Kids corner shares that same passcode which is stupid.
    The kids corner PIN thing must be new...it doesn't ask me for a PIN to launch kids corner on my 810. But since we're the forgotten ones...we're on old code. I *do* have to enter my pin to get back into the phone after leaving the kids zone via the power button, which is intended behavior. Also, I added "smart shoot" to my kids zone (different than the smart camera app, but still a 3rd party camera app) and it doesn't ask for a PIN to launch from within kids zone..but again I'm on older code than most of the rest of the lumia universe so YMMV.
  15. techiedude007's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasLabRat View Post
    The kids corner PIN thing must be new...it doesn't ask me for a PIN to launch kids corner on my 810. But since we're the forgotten ones...we're on old code. I *do* have to enter my pin to get back into the phone after leaving the kids zone via the power button, which is intended behavior. Also, I added "smart shoot" to my kids zone (different than the smart camera app, but still a 3rd party camera app) and it doesn't ask for a PIN to launch from within kids zone..but again I'm on older code than most of the rest of the lumia universe so YMMV.
    Hmm, I wonder if this is a bug in the new code or working as intended? Either way, it needs to be fixed/updated to reflect "if camera is activated from locked mode, no matter the app it calls, it should *not* require a PIN to unlock". That's supposed to be one for the main selling points of WP. Nokia/MS, are you listening/reading?

    Who has a contact email or blog that this can be posted/spammed to ASAP for consideration?

    Techiedude
    Last edited by techiedude007; 07-26-2013 at 09:01 AM.
  16. StefEBear's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by videian View Post
    Apple is the only one that has gotten this simple function right..
    You have no idea. iOS will not even let you set an alternative default photo App. Also, it does not have the dedicated photo button that this forum is talking about.
  17. RyanR47's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by StefEBear View Post
    You have no idea. iOS will not even let you set an alternative default photo App. Also, it does not have the dedicated photo button that this forum is talking about.
    But we are talking about Nokia and Microsoft here. If Nokia can make a custom SoC for the Lumia 1020 with qualcomm, I find it inexcusable that they cant find a work around for this, especially considering how useless the default camera becomes when paired with 1020.
  18. photobriangray's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    While I was upset by this at first, I realized that Pro Cam was still a little too slow for the whole purpose of the launch with the shutter button feature, to get a quick snap. I set the phone to unlock to the default app, which we do lose the Pro Cam reframing, but if you don;t get the shot to reframe, what's the point? If you have time, just lens over and unlock.

Similar Threads

  1. Changing the default camera app
    By Olof7 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 11:39 AM
  2. Front cam issue in my 920..!!! :-\
    By jey979 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
  3. Newbie Switching from Android to 1020
    By daviddcmd in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
  4. App download stuck
    By perunavaras in forum Nokia Lumia 620
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
  5. App download stuck
    By perunavaras in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions