1020 just rebooted for no reason

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It was sitting on my desk, glance screen was on, but I wasn't using it. Then, it suddenly reboots.

Has anyone else had their Lumia 1020s reboot on them? This is a first for me, but not a good sign after only one day of ownership.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The same rebooting issue has been reported for all the other Lumia models as well so it comes as no surprise that the new 1020 will suffer with the same problem.
In my experience, when a phone reboots (not necessarily a Lumia but any phone) it's mostly because the phone is in a poor or no signal area and the phone falls over itself trying to lock onto a signal resulting in a reboot.Otherwise, you might have a faulty handset which will need looking at so if it happens repeatedly and you do have a good signal then it's best to take it back to the store for repair or replacement.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The same rebooting issue has been reported for all the other Lumia models as well so it comes as no surprise that the new 1020 will suffer with the same problem.
In my experience, when a phone reboots (not necessarily a Lumia but any phone) it's mostly because the phone is in a poor or no signal area and the phone falls over itself trying to lock onto a signal resulting in a reboot.Otherwise, you might have a faulty handset which will need looking at so if it happens repeatedly and you do have a good signal then it's best to take it back to the store for repair or replacement.

Definitely not a signal issue. I'm getting 4 bars of LTE where I'm at. One reboot doesn't necessarily scare me, but it's only my second day with the device and I seem to remember Windows Phone being one of the more stable Operating Systems. My newer Android phones never reboot randomly.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not a signal issue. I'm getting 4 bars of LTE where I'm at. One reboot doesn't necessarily scare me, but it's only my second day with the device and I seem to remember Windows Phone being one of the more stable Operating Systems. My newer Android phones never reboot randomly.

It would be best to keep an eye on it then if you can definitely rule out poor signal. My 920 doesn't reboot and pretty much behaves itself as it should. And yeah, WP 8 is generally a very stable and reliable OS so if your 1020 does reboot often I'd definitely get it checked out because there may be a hardware fault which could get worse over time and end up killing your phone altogether.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you used Here Maps before that? or any of the Navigation Apps from Nokia?

I have a 720...Everytime I launch a Here app my device will surely reboot in 30minute period. I have deleted all of them and have not encountered such.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My Rogers 920 reboots randomly as well, much more frequently than my att 920 did. Some 925 owners have reported the same thing so I'm going with this being a Nokia hardware problem.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Did you used Here Maps before that? or any of the Navigation Apps from Nokia?

I have a 720...Everytime I launch a Here app my device will surely reboot in 30minute period. I have deleted all of them and have not encountered such.

That's interesting. I did use Here. And I have a live tile for my traffic commute. I'll keep an eye on that.

Bob Isaacs

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
My new 1020 has rebooted twice since I upgraded from my Titan on Monday. The first time was last night. I was almost asleep when suddenly the bedroom lit up when the phone rebooted. It did it again this evening while I was in the middle of a call. I wonder if my problem is related to Here maps, too? I configured my commute and pinned it to the start screen last night before I went to bed, and used the Here app to navigate through traffic on my way home today. I am on the AT&T network and am currently connected at home with 4G through an AT&T microcell connected to my network.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I had rebooting problems with a 920 the first few weeks. After tweaking some settings on a mission to reduce battery drainage the rebooting stopped. I get it now maybe once in 2 months? but that is acceptable.
What comes to my head right now is...turning off Auto-Upload to SkyDrive (because it consumes your Other Storage). Turning off NFC (big battery hogger and heater). I turned Location back on since it didn't really drain my battery much....what else....I think those are the major ones.
I also made a habit of closing apps by pressing the back button instead of leaving it with the Windows button.
I believe after these changes the rebooting stopped.
It reboots once in 2 months I guess because of stuck signal.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. The OS is still smooth as butter, straight to the point and a ease to use.

ecb1171

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue....

On Wed, my phone randomly shut down and i had to soft reset to start it back up
On Thurs, my phone rebooted 4 times (3 times without a SIM card in, so I know it's not poor reception)

I am using a SIM adaptor (coming from an iPhone 5), so I thought that could be the issue (I was also having issues with dropped calls in areas where my iPhone 5 had no issues) but the reboots with no SIM card take that out of the equation.

I also thought it could be an app that I recently installed, so I uninstalled everything I added since Wed, but I still had reboots.

Given that every reboot/freeze I had was when I was not actively using the phone. I'd guess that the rebooting is related to managing applications running in the background. I'm very surprised to see this happen given that earlier builds of WP8 (and the Lumia 920 in particular) had lots of reports of phones rebooting and I thought that was fixed.

I'm on the fence about exchanging or just returning and going back to my iPhone 5 and waiting to see if Nokia/Microsoft fix this issue (as they did with the 920) I think the pros of a Lumia with WP8 outweigh the cons of the OS (especially since most of the OS related complaints I have will most likely be solved by WP8.1) , the camera on the Lumia 1020 is stunningly good and iOS is just boring to use anymore. That being said, I've owned every iPhone and I've never had one randomly reboot.

Added to that, reading some of the responses here from more veteran WP8 users doesn't give me a good feeling. A phone rebooting (even every 2 months) or not being able to use Here maps (which is one the reasons I decided I could make the jump to WP8 and not lose the navigation options I have with iOS) doesn't sound like something I want to stick with.

That being said, I've owned alot of phones and I usually have no tolerance for instability at the OS level. So the fact that I'm on the fence about exchanging the Lumia 1020 speaks to the quality of the camera and how much fun WP8 is to use (with the value added Nokia software)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just over a week with the 1020 here and I haven't seen any reboots or other strange behavior. I've barely touched the Here apps though, and I'm vigilant about not allowing anything to be enabled or running that doesn't absolutely have to be. As time goes on I may relax my approach, but I figure it's good to establish an understanding of baseline behavior and gradually branch out so as to have a better chance of identifying causes of any issues that come up.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Just over a week with the 1020 here and I haven't seen any reboots or other strange behavior. I've barely touched the Here apps though, and I'm vigilant about not allowing anything to be enabled or running that doesn't absolutely have to be. As time goes on I may relax my approach, but I figure it's good to establish an understanding of baseline behavior and gradually branch out so as to have a better chance of identifying causes of any issues that come up.

I have yet to pick up a 1020 (doing that today), but how is your battery life? Sounds like you run your phones the way I do (not allowing things to run that don't have to be), so I'm curious about your battery life. Some of the posts in various threads about battery life have me concerned. I want the camera as it looks great, but the 1020 also needs to serve as a phone.

Moviefun

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had a lot of reboots in the week i've owned it. It's not a hardware issue, but i'm curious about the here maps. I'm going to remove some stuff related to that and see if it helps. Not good Nokia !

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to pick up a 1020 (doing that today), but how is your battery life? Sounds like you run your phones the way I do (not allowing things to run that don't have to be), so I'm curious about your battery life. Some of the posts in various threads about battery life have me concerned. I want the camera as it looks great, but the 1020 also needs to serve as a phone.

I run everything on (NFC, BT, Wifi, etc) all day, never back out of any apps, and my battery life is fine. I generally go home with 50% after 10 hours. If I run it hard, I'll go home with about 30%, but battery life is definitely decent and I haven't encountered any weird battery drains.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Battery life has been excellent for me so far. I posted some details in another thread here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235806-1020-battery-issues.html#post2064065

If I do heavy sustained usage - gaming, browsing, taking pics - sure, it takes its toll, but I haven't had a chance to do any of that for the past couple of days so I've been observing relatively light usage lately. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. Same kind of usage I was doing with my Focus S, and my battery life seems noticeably better, like an extra 12-24 hours maybe. Still kind of early to tell though. Also a new battery vs. one with a year or so of usage on it.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I run everything on (NFC, BT, Wifi, etc) all day, never back out of any apps, and my battery life is fine. I generally go home with 50% after 10 hours. If I run it hard, I'll go home with about 30%, but battery life is definitely decent and I haven't encountered any weird battery drains.

Perfect - just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise