Gmail - No more push mail?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what i am doing wrong with the outlook/gmail thing

i set it up the way it is listed above and it still says attention required.
Does google need to be in quotes like above for the domain

and is it just google and not google.com?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

no quotes.
domain is just google
server is m.google.com
make sure your username is your full email address, including @gmail.com

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Workarounds are meant to be temporary. Even if you get it to work you will certainly run into problems and/or limitations. If push email is something important to you then switch to a system that supports it. That is, either switch from Gmail to Outlook (recommended) or from WP to Android (you've got to be nuts).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Workarounds are meant to be temporary. Even if you get it to work you will certainly run into problems and/or limitations. If push email is something important to you then switch to a system that supports it. That is, either switch from Gmail to Outlook (recommended) or from WP to Android (you've got to be nuts).

I've tried to have my Gmail forwarded towards my outlook.com account but I noticed that when forwarding email from Gmail to outlook the email doesn't automatically get sent there. Its a delay.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Any update on this? The "forward to outlook" isn't an option for me and the exchange setup only sort-of works, as google is no longer allowing me to sync shared calendars via exchange, it only lets you change sync options for CalDAV devices now it seems. Is MS going to actually fix this issue?

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.
Thank you so much with this and the link to get to the sync settings I finally have my wife's iCloud calendar that subscribe to showing up on my WP since subscribing to it via outlook.com doesn't work. wish I could have had this setup on my Surface Pro.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.

Just realized I needed to do it this way on my 1520 - works perfectly. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Also, if Windows is going to have a "gmail" specific account option to add, you'd think they'd set it to work this way...

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just realized I needed to do it this way on my 1520 - works perfectly. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Also, if Windows is going to have a "gmail" specific account option to add, you'd think they'd set it to work this way...

Glad that it helped. Please keep in mind that Google will cut off EAS access to gmail account at the end of December unless you connect to your account using EAS before that.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Glad that it helped. Please keep in mind that Google will cut off EAS access to gmail account at the end of December unless you connect to your account using EAS before that.

I followed your instructions - does that mean I'm connected using EAS and good to go or are you saying I need to do something else?

Alexander Stankov

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

Hi if you have enabled two-factor authentication on google account you need to generate app password instead of using your Gmail password

4d4d

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Many many thanks ILLIDANX.

Just removed my google account and when reinstalled in today on my wp8 phone, it was Carddav without push email ("as items arrive").
Thought of copying settings from another wp8 phone, but that probably would not work, and have not thought of your method.
It is great and should be heralded (however google may not want this and try to take action if it is widespread news) - it just could spare time of so many users around.... ;)
and it is - as it seems - more battery efficient method (unless you get tons of e-mails per hour)

HyperionR

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Does the workaround method still works?
I don't care about gmail contacts and calendar, just want to send and receive emails.

Thanks in advance.

jonesychris

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not working for me. Phone gives an error that says attention required on the "exchange" account for Google Apps. Error states:
It looks like you may not be using a Google Apps account that is not set up to sync with mobile devices. In your web browser on your PC, go to mobile settings for your Google Apps account, enable Google Sync under service settings, and then try to sync again.

I checked my settings and no longer see sync (although i have previously used sync on my Lumia 920, and iOS devices) so I know its turned on, wonder if this is how they disable it.
Found this guide for enabling it, and the Outlook and Blackberry section to enable the Sync is not on my Google Apps admin account so it must be gone.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/148484?hl=en

Wondering if it only works for GMail accounts now and not Google Apps.

mjlenox

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Not working for me. Phone gives an error that says attention required on the "exchange" account for Google Apps. Error states:
It looks like you may not be using a Google Apps account that is not set up to sync with mobile devices. In your web browser on your PC, go to mobile settings for your Google Apps account, enable Google Sync under service settings, and then try to sync again.

I checked my settings and no longer see sync (although i have previously used sync on my Lumia 920, and iOS devices) so I know its turned on, wonder if this is how they disable it.
Found this guide for enabling it, and the Outlook and Blackberry section to enable the Sync is not on my Google Apps admin account so it must be gone.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/148484?hl=en

Wondering if it only works for GMail accounts now and not Google Apps.

I set up my main GMail account this way in late December and it worked well (and still does). However, I also have a business GMail account I hadn't set up on my Nokia 1520. When I tried today, I got the same error you did, about "enabling Google Sync under Service settings." I have been searching all morning and cannot figure out what on earth they're talking about. (The Google forums talk like everyone just knows where this control panel and that settings option are, so they are USELESS).

Anyone please help if you can.

Thanks

nguylinh

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for solution for this too. Trying to setup my Gmail on Lumia 521 and getting the same "enabling Google Sync under Service settings". Hope someone will come up with a solution soon. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb