This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree14Likes
  1. gtbuzz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I just noticed on my 1020, that I don't have an option to sync items as they arrive anymore; only 15 min, 30 min, hourly, 2 hours and manually. I've still got this option on my L920. Any idea how to get this back?
  2. rdubmu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,194 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,519 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    unfortunately, Google ended support for this for any new device. The best suggest is to have your outlook.com account setup as your gmail. Just add your gmail account to your outlook account and you can even send email from devices using your gmail account. If you need any help setting this up please let us know.
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
  3. Arsenic17's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    can you explain more rdubmu? I would like to do this. I cant stand not getting my email "as it arriveS". It only sinks every 15 min. To the OP, do you mean the phone no longer makes the email noticfication sound when you get email? Instead it just adds to the tile count silently?
  4. nbktonic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    can you explain more rdubmu? I would like to do this. I cant stand not getting my email "as it arriveS". It only sinks every 15 min. To the OP, do you mean the phone no longer makes the email noticfication sound when you get email? Instead it just adds to the tile count silently?
    "sink" - where you wash your face or maybe time to time even puke out that alcohol!

    "sync" is the right word my friend.
  5. GoodThings2Life's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    For now, you don't. Google no longer supports ActiveSync for real-time. Those whose device was previously enabled for it never got cut off, but no new connections.
  6. tgr42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    It's very easy to get real-time push email for a Gmail account on a Windows Phone. Just do the following:

    Go to your Gmail inbox in a browser. Click the settings button (gear icon) in the upper right and choose Settings. Go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Next to "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" specify the email address of your Outlook.com account or other ActiveSync-capable account. You can choose to leave copies of the emails in Gmail or delete them, up to you.

    Now when you get email in your Gmail account, it gets immediately forwarded to your Outlook.com account, which then immediately notifies your phone. Easy and effective.
    Jazmac likes this.
  7. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tgr42 View Post
    It's very easy to get real-time push email for a Gmail account on a Windows Phone. Just do the following:

    Go to your Gmail inbox in a browser. Click the settings button (gear icon) in the upper right and choose Settings. Go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Next to "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" specify the email address of your Outlook.com account or other ActiveSync-capable account. You can choose to leave copies of the emails in Gmail or delete them, up to you.

    Now when you get email in your Gmail account, it gets immediately forwarded to your Outlook.com account, which then immediately notifies your phone. Easy and effective.
    More work than most people want to do. Also, you will have issues responding to messages using the correct email address. rdubmu has it right regarding adding your gmail account to outlook.com. I did that so I would get all my gmail emails in my outlook inbox. As rdubmu said, it also allows you to send email from your gmail address inside of outlook.com.

    I believe, though don't hold me to this, that wp8 will support push for gmail in a future update. I would have to do a little looking up to verify though.
  8. hwalker84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I hate having a second Outlook Email tile on my home screen so I jus going to live with the every 15 minutes.
  9. illidanx's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    640 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtbuzz View Post
    I just noticed on my 1020, that I don't have an option to sync items as they arrive anymore; only 15 min, 30 min, hourly, 2 hours and manually. I've still got this option on my L920. Any idea how to get this back?
    Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

    when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.
  10. Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,999 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Will need to give these tips a try
  11. sloring's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by illidanx View Post
    Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

    when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.
    Works like a charm.
  12. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Will you still be able to sync contacts and calendar, receive send invites from your Gmail account if you set it up as an exchange account?
  13. illidanx's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    640 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeIII View Post
    Will you still be able to sync contacts and calendar, receive send invites from your Gmail account if you set it up as an exchange account?
    there is options to sync contacts and calender but I did not check them. I only use gmail, not google contacts and calender. Give it a try.
  14. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    So, the exchange method does work for calendar and contacts as well. However, if you have multiple calendars set up on your Gmail calendar it will not show them. Only your primary calendar for your account. For example I have a separate calendar for birthdays which does not give me the option to show this from the Calendar options. So I'm going to deal with the 15min sync for this reason. Hope this helps others.
  15. Zokudu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    If you go to m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/devices you can have it sync additional google calendars.
    strikeIII likes this.
  16. gtbuzz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by illidanx View Post
    Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

    when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.
    Thank you so much for that, it worked great. Only nit now is that I have two Outlook icons on my start screen (second one is for work email that I don't want to merge with this). Oh well. If Microsoft would get off their butts and give me a way to merge Outlook.com accounts, I'd merge everything over there. I was one of the ones that signed up for a brand new outlook.com email address instead of creating an alias on their current Microsoft Account.

    I'll follow this up with another tip for anyone that happens to be reading this thread. The default behavior for ActiveSync with gmail when you delete mail is to just remove the inbox tag instead of actually deleting it. This would drive me crazy. To fix that, go to:

    https://M.google.com/sync/settings/

    Find your new Windows Phone and enable "delete email as trash". Simple as that, not sure why it's not the default behavior. A few months ago, you weren't able to go to that link from your Windows Phone and had to do a hack on desktop IE where you set your user agent string to iPad, but I can confirm that I was able to do this on my 1020. You had to have https, the capital M as well as the trailing / to get it to work though.
  17. strikeIII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Thanks for the tips everyone.
  18. snguyen10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    I appreciate the tip on how to get push email for Gmail, but now I have a second problem...it won't let me pin the exchange email I just setup to the start screen. Any ideas?
  19. snguyen10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Scratch that, figured it out...I didn't know it automatically added it to my start screen. Had a lot of tiles so it was really far down there. Windows Phone newbie here =).
  20. Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,999 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtbuzz View Post
    Thank you so much for that, it worked great. Only nit now is that I have two Outlook icons on my start screen (second one is for work email that I don't want to merge with this). Oh well. If Microsoft would get off their butts and give me a way to merge Outlook.com accounts, I'd merge everything over there. I was one of the ones that signed up for a brand new outlook.com email address instead of creating an alias on their current Microsoft Account.

    I'll follow this up with another tip for anyone that happens to be reading this thread. The default behavior for ActiveSync with gmail when you delete mail is to just remove the inbox tag instead of actually deleting it. This would drive me crazy. To fix that, go to:

    https://M.google.com/sync/settings/

    Find your new Windows Phone and enable "delete email as trash". Simple as that, not sure why it's not the default behavior. A few months ago, you weren't able to go to that link from your Windows Phone and had to do a hack on desktop IE where you set your user agent string to iPad, but I can confirm that I was able to do this on my 1020. You had to have https, the capital M as well as the trailing / to get it to work though.
    CCan't you just add the email name below the outlook tiles? Like name them whatever you want to name them so you cam differentiate between the two. I have six outlooks and I labeled each one so I know which is which. Of course if you have tiny tiles this wont work cuz you can't see the tile name.
  21. Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,999 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I have no idea what i am doing wrong with the outlook/gmail thing

    i set it up the way it is listed above and it still says attention required.
    Does google need to be in quotes like above for the domain

    and is it just google and not google.com?
  22. illidanx's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    640 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
    I have no idea what i am doing wrong with the outlook/gmail thing

    i set it up the way it is listed above and it still says attention required.
    Does google need to be in quotes like above for the domain

    and is it just google and not google.com?
    no quotes.
    domain is just google
    server is m.google.com
    make sure your username is your full email address, including @gmail.com
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
  23. lippidp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    428 Posts
    Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Workarounds are meant to be temporary. Even if you get it to work you will certainly run into problems and/or limitations. If push email is something important to you then switch to a system that supports it. That is, either switch from Gmail to Outlook (recommended) or from WP to Android (you've got to be nuts).
  24. Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,999 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Worked perfectly now that I figured it out.
  25. Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,999 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by lippidp View Post
    Workarounds are meant to be temporary. Even if you get it to work you will certainly run into problems and/or limitations. If push email is something important to you then switch to a system that supports it. That is, either switch from Gmail to Outlook (recommended) or from WP to Android (you've got to be nuts).
    I've tried to have my Gmail forwarded towards my outlook.com account but I noticed that when forwarding email from Gmail to outlook the email doesn't automatically get sent there. Its a delay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1020 Gmail cannot search contacts on server
    By jmoney in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 12:40 AM
  2. no wifi direct on windows phone 8
    By Neeraj Mathur in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM
  3. Who buys a gaming console but no games?
    By HeyCori in forum Windows Phone & Tablet Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 01:22 AM
  5. windows phone store ratings needs to be more like ebay
    By Fred P in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

";