Gmail - No more push mail?

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed on my 1020, that I don't have an option to sync items as they arrive anymore; only 15 min, 30 min, hourly, 2 hours and manually. I've still got this option on my L920. Any idea how to get this back?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately, Google ended support for this for any new device. The best suggest is to have your outlook.com account setup as your gmail. Just add your gmail account to your outlook account and you can even send email from devices using your gmail account. If you need any help setting this up please let us know.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
can you explain more rdubmu? I would like to do this. I cant stand not getting my email "as it arriveS". It only sinks every 15 min. To the OP, do you mean the phone no longer makes the email noticfication sound when you get email? Instead it just adds to the tile count silently?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
can you explain more rdubmu? I would like to do this. I cant stand not getting my email "as it arriveS". It only sinks every 15 min. To the OP, do you mean the phone no longer makes the email noticfication sound when you get email? Instead it just adds to the tile count silently?

"sink" - where you wash your face or maybe time to time even puke out that alcohol!

"sync" is the right word my friend.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For now, you don't. Google no longer supports ActiveSync for real-time. Those whose device was previously enabled for it never got cut off, but no new connections.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It's very easy to get real-time push email for a Gmail account on a Windows Phone. Just do the following:

Go to your Gmail inbox in a browser. Click the settings button (gear icon) in the upper right and choose Settings. Go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Next to "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" specify the email address of your Outlook.com account or other ActiveSync-capable account. You can choose to leave copies of the emails in Gmail or delete them, up to you.

Now when you get email in your Gmail account, it gets immediately forwarded to your Outlook.com account, which then immediately notifies your phone. Easy and effective.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's very easy to get real-time push email for a Gmail account on a Windows Phone. Just do the following:

Go to your Gmail inbox in a browser. Click the settings button (gear icon) in the upper right and choose Settings. Go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Next to "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" specify the email address of your Outlook.com account or other ActiveSync-capable account. You can choose to leave copies of the emails in Gmail or delete them, up to you.

Now when you get email in your Gmail account, it gets immediately forwarded to your Outlook.com account, which then immediately notifies your phone. Easy and effective.

More work than most people want to do. Also, you will have issues responding to messages using the correct email address. rdubmu has it right regarding adding your gmail account to outlook.com. I did that so I would get all my gmail emails in my outlook inbox. As rdubmu said, it also allows you to send email from your gmail address inside of outlook.com.

I believe, though don't hold me to this, that wp8 will support push for gmail in a future update. I would have to do a little looking up to verify though.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed on my 1020, that I don't have an option to sync items as they arrive anymore; only 15 min, 30 min, hourly, 2 hours and manually. I've still got this option on my L920. Any idea how to get this back?

Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.

sloring

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Repeat myself from another thread. Yes you can get push mail but you need to set up your gmail as exchange account. Here is how to do it:

when you add your email account, don't choose Google. Choose Outlook (outlook.com,exchange, office 365) instead. First just enter your email address and pw, it will fail. Then you can enter domain "google", it will fail again. Click advanced, then enter server name "m.google.com". See What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email for settings.

Works like a charm.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Will you still be able to sync contacts and calendar, receive send invites from your Gmail account if you set it up as an exchange account?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Will you still be able to sync contacts and calendar, receive send invites from your Gmail account if you set it up as an exchange account?

there is options to sync contacts and calender but I did not check them. I only use gmail, not google contacts and calender. Give it a try.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
So, the exchange method does work for calendar and contacts as well. However, if you have multiple calendars set up on your Gmail calendar it will not show them. Only your primary calendar for your account. For example I have a separate calendar for birthdays which does not give me the option to show this from the Calendar options. So I'm going to deal with the 15min sync for this reason. Hope this helps others.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so much for that, it worked great. Only nit now is that I have two Outlook icons on my start screen (second one is for work email that I don't want to merge with this). Oh well. If Microsoft would get off their butts and give me a way to merge Outlook.com accounts, I'd merge everything over there. I was one of the ones that signed up for a brand new outlook.com email address instead of creating an alias on their current Microsoft Account.

I'll follow this up with another tip for anyone that happens to be reading this thread. The default behavior for ActiveSync with gmail when you delete mail is to just remove the inbox tag instead of actually deleting it. This would drive me crazy. To fix that, go to:

https://M.google.com/sync/settings/

Find your new Windows Phone and enable "delete email as trash". Simple as that, not sure why it's not the default behavior. A few months ago, you weren't able to go to that link from your Windows Phone and had to do a hack on desktop IE where you set your user agent string to iPad, but I can confirm that I was able to do this on my 1020. You had to have https, the capital M as well as the trailing / to get it to work though.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the tip on how to get push email for Gmail, but now I have a second problem...it won't let me pin the exchange email I just setup to the start screen. Any ideas?

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Scratch that, figured it out...I didn't know it automatically added it to my start screen. Had a lot of tiles so it was really far down there. Windows Phone newbie here =).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for that, it worked great. Only nit now is that I have two Outlook icons on my start screen (second one is for work email that I don't want to merge with this). Oh well. If Microsoft would get off their butts and give me a way to merge Outlook.com accounts, I'd merge everything over there. I was one of the ones that signed up for a brand new outlook.com email address instead of creating an alias on their current Microsoft Account.

I'll follow this up with another tip for anyone that happens to be reading this thread. The default behavior for ActiveSync with gmail when you delete mail is to just remove the inbox tag instead of actually deleting it. This would drive me crazy. To fix that, go to:

https://M.google.com/sync/settings/

Find your new Windows Phone and enable "delete email as trash". Simple as that, not sure why it's not the default behavior. A few months ago, you weren't able to go to that link from your Windows Phone and had to do a hack on desktop IE where you set your user agent string to iPad, but I can confirm that I was able to do this on my 1020. You had to have https, the capital M as well as the trailing / to get it to work though.
CCan't you just add the email name below the outlook tiles? Like name them whatever you want to name them so you cam differentiate between the two. I have six outlooks and I labeled each one so I know which is which. Of course if you have tiny tiles this wont work cuz you can't see the tile name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills