Data Sense on 1020

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I recall when I had the Lumia 900, I had a way to track my cell data usage. Since it wasn't on my 8x, I assumed it was a Nokia exclusive app. Is my mind playing tricks on me or cannot I track my data usage on the 1020?

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Nokia had an app for 7.x devices called Counter, which kept track of data usage. This was a Nokia exclusive app.

Unfortunately, and probably because Data Sense comes built into Windows Phone 8, Nokia has not updated the Counter app to work with Windows Phone 8. Which means if you are not on a supported carrier, there is currently no effective way to track data usage aside from using the account monitoring apps provided by your carrier. Until more carriers opt into Data Sense, Windows Phone 8 is unable keep track of what's going on with the data on your phone (either that or the carriers simply don't want you tracking the data so they have Microsoft disable it).

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a corporate plan for work and don't have access to the account as far as I know. The only time I really need to keep track is when I go out of town which is coming up in 2 weeks.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense should be on all WP8 devices and Microsoft needs to stop selling out to the carriers. What if after my 2 year contract is up I want to use the phone on different carrier but still dont have data sense because the previous carrier was a *****.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you dial *3282# on ATT, you will get a text showing your data usage for the current billing prriod

Thank you for that, much appreciated. One thing I noticed that there were new phone numbers added to my People view for AT&T including AT&T: View Data Usage and AT&T: View My Minutes. Nice touch by AT&T...but I'd still prefer a real-time tile like Data Sense :) (I'm just lazy that way lol)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used the MyAT&T app to monitor data usage for the past 2 years. It seems to work reasonably well. But of course, not being real-time has its limitations. It makes it more difficult than it should be to perform experiments, and you may not be able to detect something that is inappropriately wasting data until it's too late... which is just the way AT&T likes it, I'm sure. Shame on MS for giving into this.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So...The 1020 on AT&T does not have data sense??

WTF?!?!?!

Data sense is useful for a lot more than just tracking data usage. It tells much closer to real time data usage, what apps are using data, data compression for web browsing, and limits to shut off data so you don't go over your limit.

I really need data sense on my 920. Hopefully when they release the update, AT&T will allow it.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Correct, there's no Data Sense on the 1020 on AT&T. So I wouldn't expect to get it on your 920 anytime soon. They want to keep us guessing. It's more profitable that way.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Correct, there's no Data Sense on the 1020 on AT&T. So I wouldn't expect to get it on your 920 anytime soon. They want to keep us guessing. It's more profitable that way.

I just submitted a post on a thread on AT&T's forum.

Data Sense support for Windows Phone? - AT&T Community Support

I suggest that we all go on there and just bombard their forums.

I would go on twitter or facebook and nag them...but I don't have a twitter or facebook account!

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who wants Data Sense should post in the ATT forum thread (see post above), maybe if it gets enoght attention ATT will take it seriously.

As it stands right now most people don't even know about it, so can't complain if its missing on the 1020 and other ATT WP8 devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills