1020 and camera shell

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Tried the camera shell for the first time this morning and I gotta say it has me a little nervous. It "snaps" in and connects just fine but it's the removal process that has me concerned. There doesn't seem to be a natural/fluid way to take the phone out of the casing. I tried "thumb pushing" from the middle of the phone to force it out the top of the camera shell but no dice. I would've thought that would be the natural "eject/removal" motion but it didn't want to budge. After trying a few other things that I thought might damage or break both items, I had to peel the top corner of the case away from the phone on one side and slide the phone out of the casing/shell.

Does any of this makes sense? It just doesn't seem to be an intuitive removal process...could just be my n00bness too...anyone have similar issues/concerns or perhaps a better example on how it should be done? Maybe even a link to a short YouTube video with a quick demonstration LOL

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are doing it right. Instruction packet has a diagram and that is what it showed. Makes me a bit nervous as well, but hopefully will be ok...

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are doing it right. Instruction packet has a diagram and that is what it showed. Makes me a bit nervous as well, but hopefully will be ok...

I appreciate the heads-up...I pretty much suck at RTFM with new tech toys :confused: using a $700 phone without having cracking the manual is an invitation to end user stupidity it would seem...

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the heads-up...I pretty much suck at RTFM with new tech toys :confused: using a $700 phone without having cracking the manual is an invitation to end user stupidity it would seem...

Lol. I specifically busted out the camera manual for the reasons you posted. Will never open the phone manual :)

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I specifically busted out the camera manual for the reasons you posted. Will never open the phone manual :)

I did the same thing. I put the camera grip on, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to get it off until I read the manual for the grip. I'm sure eventually, it might break, but I'll save up and prepare for that. At least if you got the grip from Microsoft, it was free.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the camera handle thingy that Microsoft is inluding free with the phone? Can the shell be kept on the phone? Can the phone be charged and hooked up to the computer for dowloading video/pictures with the shell on the phone? Thanks for any advice as I'm seriously considering this phone.

Steve

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the camera handle thingy that Microsoft is inluding free with the phone? Can the shell be kept on the phone? Can the phone be charged and hooked up to the computer for dowloading video/pictures with the shell on the phone? Thanks for any advice as I'm seriously considering this phone.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes the camera shell can be left on the phone; the phone can be charged via the mini-USB port and photos should be able to be downloaded via same said port (though I haven't actually tried). There's no reason you can't leave the shell on all the time except for size (it's like a small PnS camera in your pocket) and it wouldn't allow wireless charging (I have both shells and use them as needed). Hope this helps!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've been wondering about with the camera grip... What are the long term battery life implications for the phone's battery? Nokia says in the phone manual that you should unplug the phone once it's finished charging. (I don't know how important that is - I just have this vague impression that it's bad to keep the phone on the charger "too much".) If you use the camera grip all the time, isn't this like operating the phone while plugged in all the time? Until the camera grip's battery is dead, anyway, which may never happen in common light use scenarios. I feel very uncertain about long term battery health for this stuff.

The manual for the camera grip doesn't give any battery health guidance. it only says that the battery will eventually wear out and need to be returned for service. (I wonder how much it would cost to have Nokia "replace the battery" in a $60 camera grip accessory...) It does, however, note that you can turn the camera grip battery on and off by holding down the power button. The battery is always enabled by default and there's no guidance about when you should have it enabled or disabled, except in the case that you want to "completely switch off your phone while connected to the camera grip".

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've been wondering about with the camera grip... What are the long term battery life implications for the phone's battery? Nokia says in the phone manual that you should unplug the phone once it's finished charging. (I don't know how important that is - I just have this vague impression that it's bad to keep the phone on the charger "too much".) If you use the camera grip all the time, isn't this like operating the phone while plugged in all the time? Until the camera grip's battery is dead, anyway, which may never happen in common light use scenarios. I feel very uncertain about long term battery health for this stuff.

The manual for the camera grip doesn't give any battery health guidance. it only says that the battery will eventually wear out and need to be returned for service. (I wonder how much it would cost to have Nokia "replace the battery" in a $60 camera grip accessory...) It does, however, note that you can turn the camera grip battery on and off by holding down the power button. The battery is always enabled by default and there's no guidance about when you should have it enabled or disabled, except in the case that you want to "completely switch off your phone while connected to the camera grip".

The main difference between the grip and leaving your phone plugged into a wall is that the wall will continue to give it power. The grip loses power after a bit, so is effectively no longer charging the phone. The fact that it's charging is what kills your battery. If the grip loses power, the battery no longer thinks it's charging. ;)

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The grip will keep charging the phone as long as its own battery has power. That is quite a long time if the phone is not being used much. The solution is covered in the grip manual. Press the charge indicator button on the grip for three seconds and it will blink twice and disengage the grip battery from the phone battery. To re-engage follow the same procedure. This is covered as item 4 in the manual that comes with the accessory. This could be important as it already appears to me that a lot more people will be using the camera grip as a regular case than Nokia and other experts originally thought. There is a solution though and I will be implementing it myself to protect the battery.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I feel the exact same way, placing the phone in the camera grip is smooth and natural, it just "snaps" right into place. But the removal process always leaves me worried, I keep feeling like I'm damaging the phone or grip, it's just not very fluid. At least it means we don't have to worry about the phone slipping out?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3