An Open Letter to Mr. Stephen Elop, CEO of Nokia Corporation

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Dear Mr. Elop,

Thank you for building what will be long be considered a groundbreaking and ?catch-me-if-you-can? device that blows nearly any Apple or Samsung device out of the water (pun intended, Sammy). The Nokia Lumia 1020 is the device I have been drooling over since it was known as ?Elvis? and ?Eos?. Unfortunately it has proven to be just as elusive.

I anxiously awaited your launch in NYC, and placed my pre-order so that I could be among the first to have the device to discover new stories with friends and family. But unfortunately I am still empty handed. Having watched the launch presentation and subsequent questions by the press, I am thinking back upon on a ?question/comment? that mentioned AT&T being a ?horrible launch partner?. At the time I thought it was somewhat unfounded. But after having ordered my two new devices on the Microsoft Store, I can see that the problem is actually far greater. Simplexity ? which I am told handles the fulfillment of devices for them ? has also sadly let you, your dedicated team, Microsoft and countless fans down.

This was to be my first Nokia device since the 3650 on AT&T that I had way back when. For some history, I have been a continuous AT&T customer since 1997? which they ?deny? because they went from AT&T to Cingular then back to AT&T during that time and "lost" my loyalty since my history with them was wiped out with each subsequent swap in name. But that doesn?t involve you, my friend. My first Windows Mobile devices were the HP iPaq 6945, the HTC Fuze and Fuze II, and my latest, the HTC Titan I. I am anxious to switch, but why does it have to be so darn hard? I held off on the Lumia 920 even though my heart told me yes, but my wallet told me no since I was under contract. I was even considering just before the launch to switch to T-Mobile for the Lumia 925 or Verizon for the Lumia 928. But you tried to bring me back to AT&T with the exclusive Lumia 1020. Unfortunately I have had buyer?s remorse ever since the money was deducted from my account after my purchase at the Microsoft Store. I now realize it was a ransom.

Here is a link to my latest (of four) conversations today with a representative of MS Store/Simplexity by phone and online chat:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233824-18.htm#post2058292

The two phones I have been trying to purchase have been available in various local AT&T and Microsoft stores, yet I can?t get an answer as to when mine would be in stock?let alone ship. Please help me understand when the term ?Pre-Order? switched from ?front of the line? to the back. Are we just fulfilling a role of supply vs. demand and scarcity for the sake of the media? If so, it is sadly having the opposite effect on me. As a fan (and not even yet a customer) of yours who wants to sing your praises to countless friends and family, kindly let me know why I should be on the back-burner versus an idle-minded person wandering into an AT&T or Microsoft store? And I doubt that AT&T employees are pushing anything other than Droids or iPhones since there are plenty in stock here on Long Island.

I have never more anticipated a device yet loathed the buying experience more than this launch. And if I do take delivery of the little marvel, I fear that the bitter feeling will remain and taint further decisions and recommendations.

Thank you for this opportunity to vent my frustrations, but I owe you the perspective from the ground up for all that you and your team have done for us. The flowers aren?t always as colorful as your awesome photo samples and color palate when looking from the bottom. And in the end we share the same goal in promoting your efforts!

With Professional Respect,

Phil Perlman

p.s. Please accept my apologies for posting this online, but I fear it is the only way to garner any attention in light of the fact that I can't even reach a front-line sales representative for answers!

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
@gsquared: I don't think anything get accomplished by that... my goal was to bring attention to the logistics of this launch. I would just as soon forget the whole thing and switch carriers. But I do want the platform to be successful... to a certain point. Otherwise, a process left unchecked is a process left unchanged. I don't think anyone is happy in this circumstance.

In the past I have had BIG retailers ship me an order directly from another store that has the same item sitting in stock. Is fragmentation in distribution to blame here?

Why can't any partner (AT&T, MS, etc.) just ship from whatever source is available then reconcile between one another later to make the greatest number of customers happy?

As a marketing professional, I thought that the customer came first...

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Like other people have also reported, I too received a message shortly ago from simplexity about an August 1st shipment. I am going to cancel my order tomorrow in principal based on how we've all been treated.

It is unfortunate that long time advocates like us have had to jump through a ring of fire to get a device on pre-order posthumously. In retrospect, I can't help but feel like this has been a ginormous disappointment over a device that I have never even touched. I will just hold onto my existing phones until they die.

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you should tweet Mr. Elop instead. I sent a tweet to @MicrosoftStore expressing my frustration with Simplexity this past Friday (26th). They answered earlier today saying they were working hard to get the 1020 pre-orders delivered as quickly as possible. Then they tweeted later on that I could call them at 877-696-7786 to get update and apologized for the inconvenience. I replied back it was too late, already cancelled, Simplexity was useless and went to local MS Store to get one. Not sure if I will hear anything further, but was glad for a response and acknowledgement.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Like other people have also reported, I too received a message shortly ago from simplexity about an August 1st shipment. I am going to cancel my order tomorrow in principal based on how we've all been treated.

It is unfortunate that long time advocates like us have had to jump through a ring of fire to get a device on pre-order posthumously. In retrospect, I can't help but feel like this has been a ginormous disappointment over a device that I have never even touched. I will just hold onto my existing phones until they die.

I think I can honestly say that if I had held out as long as you have (and had certain expectations that had gone completely unmet and horribly unresolved), I too would have a bad taste left in my mouth and that whatever I was waiting for would be anticlimactic (within reason lol). When the great anticipation of something shiny and new is replaced by exasperation and disappointment, it's *really* hard to reconcile those. In the grand scheme of things, life will go on (lol) but for this moment in your business relationship with Nokia, MS, and the name-that-which-we-shall-not-repeat-ever-again-on-these-forums it's currently a burning proctological mess.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
"... device that blows nearly any Apple or Samsung device out of the water ..."

nearly any? So it blows some, but some not, which means it does not blow the better ones out of the water. So it is not a from-water-ejecting device. It is just a plain "good," or "nice," phone.

Or am I reading too much into this?

Sorry :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
"... device that blows nearly any Apple or Samsung device out of the water ..."

nearly any? So it blows some, but some not, which means it does not blow the better ones out of the water. So it is not a from-water-ejecting device. It is just a plain "good," or "nice," phone.

Or am I reading too much into this?

Sorry :)

I only read the entire letter because of this post (and that's already the first problem: Why should anybody at Nokia read this entire confusing thing?) and it could easily be torn apart. Your example is only one of many. Another one is this:

If I was Stephen Elop - who will never read this - I would take offense at being called "my friend" as I was a 5 year old that has stolen a cookie. This after a perplexing rant about AT&T without any context. Calling this man friend also stands in a direct contrast to the "Professional Respect" at the end.

Or just the general message: "I'm no consumer of Nokia, I don't have a Nokia device nor did I have one in the last years, but now I want one and I want it now!"

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with this.

I have to say that this is reminiscent of my experience getting hold of a RED Lumia 920, soon after the launch and a friend of mine recently had issues getting a WHITE 920 for his upgrade.

In your position I'd have stayed put, given that you at least had a date, which is after all, tomorrow and then gripped and groused. I switched from Expansys to Clove because I could get an answer and save something like ?60 to boot.

Don't forget that it won't take long for the delight of using Windows Phone on high-end hardware will soon put your trials into perspective. :)

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Just cancel the pre-order and go into the store? Also Microsoft Stores were doing pre-orders in store. Instead of dealing with online I'd recommend a face to face. Less likely to be given a run around when you are looking the people in the face.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I only read the entire letter because of this post (and that's already the first problem: Why should anybody at Nokia read this entire confusing thing?) and it could easily be torn apart. Your example is only one of many. Another one is this:

If I was Stephen Elop - who will never read this - I would take offense at being called "my friend" as I was a 5 year old that has stolen a cookie. This after a perplexing rant about AT&T without any context. Calling this man friend also stands in a direct contrast to the "Professional Respect" at the end.

Or just the general message: "I'm no consumer of Nokia, I don't have a Nokia device nor did I have one in the last years, but now I want one and I want it now!"

Sorry for bursting your bubble, my friend ;), BUT: Elop already answered a lot of emails like this one. I wrote him one a few months ago about the terrible situation in o2, telekom and other stores in Germany (was working in one of them at that time). I told him how none of all the other staff in stores like the one I was working in really knew what Windows Phone was and how bad it was for Nokia and Microsofot to let something like that happen...

My letter was longer than this one. I got e response from him after a few hours. He answered all my questions, thanked me for giving him all the info (of course it was nothing new for him) and wrote a few sentences about hte future plans from Nokia (nothing new for me).

So all in all: he DOES read letters like this and actually a lot of CEOs do that... There is no better pr for companies like these than being in direct contact with your customers... Of course he will not respond to every email...but I am pretty sure that he will try...

And no... "Pics or never happened" does not count here... you can believe me, or not... I don't care :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for bursting your bubble, my friend ;), BUT: Elop already answered a lot of emails like this one. I wrote him one a few months ago about the terrible situation in o2, telekom and other stores in Germany (was working in one of them at that time). I told him how none of all the other staff in stores like the one I was working in really knew what Windows Phone was and how bad it was for Nokia and Microsofot to let something like that happen...

Yeah, sure, because he has nothing better to do than to read through all these emails and answer them, and no people doing it for him ;-)

You can believe Santa Claus answers your letters, I don't care either.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sure, because he has nothing better to do than to read through all these emails and answer them, and no people doing it for him ;-)

You can believe Santa Claus answers your letters, I don't care either.

You not liking the idea CEOs might do stuff like tha is totally fine with me :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You not liking the idea CEOs might do stuff like tha is totally fine with me :)

Just to give you a perspective: My boss doesn't read all the mails he gets and lets his secretary answer some of them, and he's most certainly not the head of an international multi-billion company that employs 100.000 people.

But as I have said, you certainly got answers to your letters for Santa Claus too. :)

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
@Chregu, maybe you could offer some constructive advice to the OP on how he can air his concerns/complaints, instead of being negative. I offered my thoughts, ie. Twitter. If you don't agree with his thoughts or method, offer up something better or just stay out of it entirely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism