Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    I've stayed with WP7.8 because I felt WP8 wasn't really an upgrade and I was holding out for a device with keyboard. Then the Lumia 1020 with GDR2 was released. The only thing that could trump my desire for a keyboard would be a great camera with lossless zoom. I was this close to getting one until I tried the video zoom feature. It seemed choppy and I didn't like sliding my finger to operate it. I am used to a camcorder that has a nice rocker mechanism for smooth zooms at a few different speeds. I really want this phone. Does anyone know any tricks to get better performance out of the video zoom?
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 07-31-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Global Posts
    32,239 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by lippidp View Post
    I've stayed with WP7.8 because I felt WP8 wasn't really an upgrade and I was holding out for a device with keyboard. Then the Lumia 1020 with GDR2 was released. The only thing that could trump my desire for a keyboard would be a great camera with lossless zoom. I was this close to getting one until I tried the video zoom feature. It seemed choppy and I didn't like sliding my finger to operate it. I am used to a camcorder that has a nice rocker mechanism for smooth zooms at a few different speeds. I really want this phone. Does anyone know any tricks to get better performance out of the video zoom?
    Perhaps you could ask your question here.
    Thanked by:

Steadier hand would be my guess, about the choppiness. Both your movements and the image stabilization movements are intensified on zoom. Side effect of zooming.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I think your expectations are way too high. It's not a camcorder, it's a phone. It also takes amazing pictures and video. You will always be able to find an excuse to not buy something... nothing is or has ever been perfect.
    Thanked by:

I would like it if you could use the volume rocker to zoom. Pinching/spreading to zoom is just awful at (most) times.
    Thanked by:
    lippidp and John20212 like this.

PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post
    I think your expectations are way too high. It's not a camcorder, it's a phone. It also takes amazing pictures and video. You will always be able to find an excuse to not buy something... nothing is or has ever been perfect.
    This right here hits the target perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by WPmunkey View Post
    I would like it if you could use the volume rocker to zoom. Pinching/spreading to zoom is just awful at (most) times.
    I know it isn't much consolation, but you don't have to pinch. A single finger slide up to zoom in and down to zoom out works, too.
    tissotti likes this.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post
    On the contrary. I was trying really hard to find a reason to buy this phone! I was already giving in to many things about WP8 that I didn't like. This zoom was terrible, not just imperfect, and was the final deal breaker. For $299 it is not worth it to me unless I (or someone here) can find a way to make it work acceptably well.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    Perhaps you could ask your question here.
    I did, but the answer I received was a bit terse.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    That would be better for sure. I don't have the answer; I'm hoping the brilliant people at Nokia come up with a great solution to this!

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ParoleGA View Post
    Steadier hand would be my guess, about the choppiness. Both your movements and the image stabilization movements are intensified on zoom. Side effect of zooming.
    Something tells me you haven't tried it.

Considering the zoom is all software and based off touch input on the touch screen, I'd be very surprised if Nokia didn't fix it in a software update.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by si49 View Post
    Considering the zoom is all software and based off touch input on the touch screen, I'd be very surprised if Nokia didn't fix it in a software update.
    I hope so. Have you seen what I'm talking about?
    That would be better for sure. I don't have the answer; I'm hoping the brilliant people at Nokia come up with a great solution to this!
    Microsoft doesn't allow use of volume buttons in still/video mode. If it would be allowed Nokia will implement it for sure. I remember reading this from some hands on article of 1020.

Seriously, why would you want adjust volume of your phone when taking photos or shooting video? Dunno if it is just some silly limitation of OS or just Microsoft being stupid.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    ^^^^ There are people that listen to audio while using the camera
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissanviikset View Post
    Microsoft doesn't allow use of volume buttons in still/video mode. If it would be allowed Nokia will implement it for sure. I remember reading this from some hands on article of 1020.

Seriously, why would you want adjust volume of your phone when taking photos or shooting video? Dunno if it is just some silly limitation of OS or just Microsoft being stupid.
    In Windows Mobile you could assign hardware buttons to whatever you wanted. 5+ years ago...

Something tells me you haven't tried it.
    20130731_072614.jpg

The next time you are out with your camcorder, you should call me from it. We'll do lunch.

...Oh, wait. Comparing a camcorder to a phone is just silly.
    Last edited by ParoleGA; 07-31-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    you could always make it optional to use the buttons for zoom in video/photo mode, so that music listeners can just have it stay for volume

In Windows Mobile you could assign hardware buttons to whatever you wanted. 5+ years ago...
    Agreed, Windows Mobile was a much more functional OS (customizable, attachments, etc.) than WP, or IOS/Android. I still miss my HTC Diamond. It was not nearly as smooth or as user friendly, though. I wish they revamped it, instead of abandoning it. It was closer to a pocket PC than what is available today.
    TechFreak1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    I'd bet more people would appreciate using the volume buttons for zooming than music in the camera. Back out of camera to change volume or make it an option to enable this zoom. Either way the small pause or skip in the music you get when taking a picture is annoying.
    To me it seems that MS is trying to get away from using hardware buttons and put more emphasis on touch controls, ie. Zooming with finger swipe. IMO if you are the type that does a lot of video recording, using a smartphone isn't the best choice and you are using the wrong tool for the job. Don't forget it's a phone first, with a very good camera built in. Expecting it to work like a stand alone camcorder with all the bells & whistles will leave you disappointed.
    WavingReds likes this.

On the contrary. I was trying really hard to find a reason to buy this phone!
    Then this is not for you =/

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    Then this is not for you =/
    The truth is that there is no phone for me. I'm just trying to get as close as possible. I had decided all the WP8 shortcomings I could deal with and was ready to rock until I tried the video zoom.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedsoldier View Post
    To me it seems that MS is trying to get away from using hardware buttons and put more emphasis on touch controls, ie. Zooming with finger swipe. IMO if you are the type that does a lot of video recording, using a smartphone isn't the best choice and you are using the wrong tool for the job. Don't forget it's a phone first, with a very good camera built in. Expecting it to work like a stand alone camcorder with all the bells & whistles will leave you disappointed.
    I wasn't expecting anything other than features included with the phone to work well. I'm no big time videographer, but I do use the zoom quite a bit because I'm rarely next to my kids when they're doing the crazy **** they do. I zoom to get in there with them. That is the only bell or whistle I use on the camcorder!

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ParoleGA View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130731_072614.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	38701

The next time you are out with your camcorder, you should call me from it. We'll do lunch.

...Oh, wait. Comparing a camcorder to a phone is just silly.
    LOL. Ok, I disagree that comparing the mighty Lumia 1020 to a camcorder is silly. Anyway, have you been able to get video zoom to be smooth? Can you try it with a stylus from one of your old WM phones and see if that works better than using your finger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast