- 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM #1
Hey everyone, total smartphone newbie here, seriously considering the 1020 but had a quick question. If I want to use my wifi instead of cell data, is this the correct setting?
Defining Internet Connections:
On the Start screen, swipe left
Go to "Wi-Fi"
Make sure that "Wi-Fi networking" is enabled
Select the connection that you wish to use
To use a mobile data connection:
On the Start screen, swipe left and go to "Settings"
Switch "Data connection" to "On"
I believe I read that if I enable both mobile data and wifi, the phone (1020) will automatically use wifi when available minimizing the data charges. So I would probably want to keep mobile data and wifi on all the time, is this correct?
Thanks in advance.
07-31-2013, 02:17 PM #2
- 278 Posts
When you get into range of a Wi-Fi access point that you have connected to before, your phone will automatically connect to it and switch to that connection for everything until you move out of range or disconnect from the access point.
Leave mobile data on because your phone will still need it to do certain things like send or retrieve multimedia messages, or do cell data network specific tasks.
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM #3
- 37 Posts
- 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM #4
Hey Everyone, thanks for the replies..I've kind of narrowed it down to the 1020, and the other usual suspects, the iphone, galaxy s4. I don't know if I can live with the smaller iphone screen, and the galaxy seems kind of cheaply made. So, it's looking good for the 1020. Just have to stop up to the local MS store to check one out.
- By envio in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 22Last Post: 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
- By DJRedLine in forum OneDriveReplies: 19Last Post: 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM
- By Marco Arrichiello in forum Microsoft News & RumorsReplies: 2Last Post: 08-01-2013, 06:06 AM
- By Onslaughta in forum Nokia Lumia 620Replies: 3Last Post: 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
- By Andreas H in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 07-31-2013, 01:26 PM