Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I went to ATT store today and I do not have ATT account. So when I asked that I want to have a Nokia Lumia 1020 off contract, support guy said I still have to have a ATT account. Is it possible to get the phone without opening an account? How about at Microsoft Store?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    2,851 Global Posts
    Its the typical att BS, had the same thing last year trying to buy a 920. Went to the MS store and got mine no hassle, should work for you.

Thanks !!

I'll be heading to MSFT store after work.
    Just one more question. So you get the ATT kit with it? or just say I want phone with off contract? I remember when I got Nokia 920 from ATT online last time, I got the sim card kit then I've to call ATT support and say I'm canceling the ATT account and keeping the phone. Even though I not activate the kit.
    I got mine from the ATT store; they gave me the same line - so I got a GO PHone SIM and put $25 on it. That helped because when I called their techs to plead for an unlock code, it showed me as an active customer (of a sort)

Global Posts
    2,851 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpido View Post
    Thanks !!

I'll be heading to MSFT store after work.
    Just one more question. So you get the ATT kit with it? or just say I want phone with off contract? I remember when I got Nokia 920 from ATT online last time, I got the sim card kit then I've to call ATT support and say I'm canceling the ATT account and keeping the phone. Even though I not activate the kit.
    They sell you the phone like any other product and when I bought mine there wasnt any SIM in my 920 box, I just had to install my SIM and called att to say I swapped my phone (probably not necessary) and that was it.

Actually that's very good idea. Currently I'm on month to month with T-Mobile and paying $50 and using Go phone with ATT for $60 is not that bad with 2GB of data. Any limitations of Go phone plans?

If you pay full price, you dot need an account. Or even a SIM.