Ok. What happened to the "Never" option for the lock screen timeout?? Irritating as hell!

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok. What happened to the "Never" option for the lock screen timeout?? Irritating as hell!

Why doesn't the 1020 have the "never" option for the lock screen? The 920 has it. The HTC's have it. I use Glympse a lot and the damn thing keeps timing out every 5 min.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ok. What happened to the "Never" option for the lock screen timeout?? Irritating as hell!

What carrier do you have? Some carriers' firmware does not include that option.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Ok. What happened to the "Never" option for the lock screen timeout?? Irritating as hell!

My carrier is AT&T. My HTC HD7S had it (on AT&T) so it can't be carrier related.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My carrier is AT&T. My HTC HD7S had it (on AT&T) so it can't be carrier related.

Your profile shows you have the 900. I have that device also, and I'm on AT&T; 5 minutes is the longest screen lock setting. I know that people who have the 900 on carriers other than AT&T have the "never" option.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Your profile shows you have the 900. I have that device also, and I'm on AT&T; 5 minutes is the longest screen lock setting. I know that people who have the 900 on carriers other than AT&T have the "never" option.

No I need to update that. I am using the 1020

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

No I need to update that. I am using the 1020
It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T only offered 5 minute screen timeout on the 1020, since that's what they did on the 900.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Pretty sure they removed the "Never" option on the 920 as well. But they later restored it with a firmware update. Interesting that they did this (removed it) again. Don't know why they would care.

Not that I would ever use it, though.

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Make up their minds already.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Pretty sure they removed the "Never" option on the 920 as well. But they later restored it with a firmware update. Interesting that they did this (removed it) again. Don't know why they would care.

I am getting really sick and tired of ATT and other carriers picking and choosing how to screw up the user experience and disabling fetures how they see fit. And what pisses me off even more is the fact that Microsoft is allowing them to do it.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

I use it because I use a lot of driving aps ( Glympse, maps, etc) and the screen locks after 5 min. I'm hoping they bring it back...again.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I use it because I use a lot of driving aps ( Glympse, maps, etc) and the screen locks after 5 min. I'm hoping they bring it back...again.
A good app should keep the screen on if thats what the user needs, heck even games are able to do that. Not that I agreed with ATT tempering the UI.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

HTC handset always had the Never option. I don't recall Nokia handset have Never ever.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

HTC handset always had the Never option. I don't recall Nokia handset have Never ever.

Yep. I had an HTC prior to this on ATT and it had the never option. That's why I don't think its ATT doing this. Unless they are just picking and choosing at their discretion. I don't know if it's MS, Nokia or ATT that is to blame.

algs26

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

You're risking burn in (or fading on an OLED screen) if you leave a static image on the screen for a long time.

It would make sense if the LCD equipped phones had the "never" option while the OLED phones did not.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Yep. I had an HTC prior to this on ATT and it had the never option. That's why I don't think its ATT doing this. Unless they are just picking and choosing at their discretion. I don't know if it's MS, Nokia or ATT that is to blame.

It's the manufacturer's firmware

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 920 didnt have Never at launch then it was added in a fwe weeks after. Allowing it should be personal choice, but there are too many dumbasses out there that would leave it on and burn their screens in and complain and try to get free replacements.

ATT is not the issue. Lumia 900 has 5 min max, 920 has never, and 1020 has 5 min max.Its all related to the technology driving the screens. 900 and 1020 have AMOLED screens which are very prone to burn in if static image is left on screen. The 920 has an LCD screen, which it is possible to burn in, but it would take a very long time and no one would leave it on that long. Basically they are retard proofing the phone, and screwing over some of the more intelligent users like us.

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 920 didnt have Never at launch then it was added in a fwe weeks after. Allowing it should be personal choice, but there are too many dumbasses out there that would leave it on and burn their screens in and complain and try to get free replacements.

ATT is not the issue. Lumia 900 has 5 min max, 920 has never, and 1020 has 5 min max.Its all related to the technology driving the screens. 900 and 1020 have AMOLED screens which are very prone to burn in if static image is left on screen. The 920 has an LCD screen, which it is possible to burn in, but it would take a very long time and no one would leave it on that long. Basically they are retard proofing the phone, and screwing over some of the more intelligent users like us.

Okay understandable, and understood. Doesn't the 1520 have an LCD screen? So then what would be AT&T's excuse there, because mine tops out at 5 minutes which becomes quite dangerous trying to do anything in the middle of the freeway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky