Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By Narse77
  • 2 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By Narse77
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 2 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By Narse77
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 2 Post By tebugg
  • 2 Post By TechFreak1
  • 4 Post By Narse77

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    I found a thread on reddit today about a battery test comparison for the 920, 925, 928 and 1020. I think this is a good idea and will be running the tests on my 1020 and posting the results here. If you would like to join please feel free!!

Request: WPBench battery drain test on Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020. (Also chance for Reddit Gold) : windowsphone

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I'm curious to see the results.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 and Narse77 like this.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Me too! I hear all the about AMOLED and the 1020 is my first phone with this type of screen.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by Narse77 View Post
    Me too! I hear all the about AMOLED and the 1020 is my first phone with this type of screen.
    My 900 is AMOLED.
    Thanked by:
    Narse77 likes this.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    My 900 is AMOLED.
    What do you think of the screen? I never had one of the WP7 devices, I was a Apple fanboy.

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    What do you think of the screen? I never had one of the WP7 devices, I was a Apple fanboy.
    I love it! It's the first smartphone I've owned that I've been able to use outside in bright sunlight without cupping my hand over it to shade it from the sun. I definitely want AMOLED screen on my next device.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 and Narse77 like this.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    I am very impressed with the screen on the 1020. Such nice deep blacks.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I am very impressed with the screen on the 1020. Such nice deep blacks.
    That's a continuation of what they did on the 900, only better.
    Thanked by:
    Narse77 likes this.

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I recently went from the 900 to the 920. The first thing I noticed is that the LCD looked a bit washed out compared to the AMOLED screen. I will say I prefer to run the phones at low brightness and use auto brightness. I think the Auto on the 920 is much smarter and thus easier to read in the bright light than it was on my 900. My 900 has a great screen, and I love the blacks, but after using the 920, the AMOLED does seem a bit over saturated which I don't mind I suppose. I 'm curious if the 1020 brings that down a knotch and if the 768p screen helps that as well. With the screen adjustment coming to my 920 with GDR2, I wonder if I can dial in the deaper blacks and a bit more robust colors.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    That's a continuation of what they did on the 900, only better.
    by the way, if i'm understanding your comment right, that's not just a nokia thing, it's an amoled thing. amoled's naturally have deep blacks. that's because the pixels are turned off and the surrounding pixels with color are on. that's why there's some form on ghosting in amoled displays when it comes to letters or browsing. the amoled display has to turn on those pixels that were turned off (or black) and there's a very small delay during the turn on and that causes the ghosting that everyone talks about with amoleds. the same thing happens on my galaxy s4. samsung has improved their amoled displays to try to get rid of this or make it not as noticeable, but by nature of the technology, there will always be some kind of ghosting going on that you will be able to see. luckily this ghosting has no effect when you're watching a video. it is only when you use your finger to scroll the screen.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    by the way, if i'm understanding your comment right, that's not just a nokia thing, it's an amoled thing. amoled's naturally have deep blacks. that's because the pixels are turned off and the surrounding pixels with color are on. that's why there's some form on ghosting in amoled displays when it comes to letters or browsing. the amoled display has to turn on those pixels that were turned off (or black) and there's a very small delay during the turn on and that causes the ghosting that everyone talks about with amoleds. the same thing happens on my galaxy s4. samsung has improved their amoled displays to try to get rid of this or make it not as noticeable, but by nature of the technology, there will always be some kind of ghosting going on that you will be able to see. luckily this ghosting has no effect when you're watching a video. it is only when you use your finger to scroll the screen.
    You are correct.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I hate to be the one making obligatory battery c omplaints as soon as they get a device (actually, I have had mine for 12 days now) but the 1020 battery so far has been horrible. Even when not using, the battery drains like 10-20% per hour. Not sure what is causing the issues. Have identical apps to my 920 which drained around 3% per hour unused...

Also

PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    I hate to be the one making obligatory battery c omplaints as soon as they get a device (actually, I have had mine for 12 days now) but the 1020 battery so far has been horrible. Even when not using, the battery drains like 10-20% per hour. Not sure what is causing the issues. Have identical apps to my 920 which drained around 3% per hour unused...

Also
    Did the Battery die mid sentence? :P
    Can We Auto-Correct Humanity?

Centralised folder for game data + saves, which in turn is backed upto the cloud.

User voice vote link

Vote here for smart dialing!!!

User voice vote link for smart dialing

Vote for Jen Taylors voice in english speaking countries (my ears are still bleeding after listening to UK version of Cortana ) :
    User Voice link

Forum Thread
    rmichael75 and bawboh86 like this.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post

Also
    Mine lasts exactly as long as my Lumia 920 did with the same (or harder) usage. I honestly see longer usage out of my 1020. Sorry to hear you're having an issue. Maybe double check some of your background app settings and see if there's something still running? Also, some people claim they get much better battery life after doing a soft reset (press and hold the power button and volume down together for 10 seconds until the phone reboots). Have you tried that, yet? Just throwing out suggestions, because like I said, I'm seeing similar to better life out of this.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    So far the tests have shown the 1020, 928 and 925 to be quite a bit ahead of the 920. I got a little over three hours on the stress test, 925 and 928 are coming in around the 2:30 to 2:45 min mark and the 920 seems to be around 2:00 to 2:15 mark. The last I looked I was the only 1020 result. Keep in mind these tests are stressing the hardware hard so real world differences would be much greater.

After a few more tests come in I will gather all the data we have in a chart.

I love it! It's the first smartphone I've owned that I've been able to use outside in bright sunlight without cupping my hand over it to shade it from the sun. I definitely want AMOLED screen on my next device.
    actually, amoled is not better than LCD for outdoors, my N97 looked even better under bright sunlight lol, amoleds tend to have lower brightness which affects outdoor visibility, but nokia clear-as-black thing does an excellent job here, my 928 looks stunning outdoors, my only concern with amoled is the battery anxiety when browsing white pages vs watching dark videos, with lcd you can rest assured it wont matter

Quote Originally Posted by EspHack View Post
    actually, amoled is not better than LCD for outdoors, my N97 looked even better under bright sunlight lol, amoleds tend to have lower brightness which affects outdoor visibility, but nokia clear-as-black thing does an excellent job here, my 928 looks stunning outdoors, my only concern with amoled is the battery anxiety when browsing white pages vs watching dark videos, with lcd you can rest assured it wont matter
    My 1020 is noticeably brighter than my 920 @ max brightness in direct sunlight.

It's even brighter than my s4.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!