Screen scratches already??

VelcroBP

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1020 since launch day and already have ~5-6 light scratches on the screen. I've never used a screen protector on my previous 2 phones (Samsung Focus S and before that and iPhone 3Gs), but didn't have any troubles with those. I tend to be quite careful of my screen. I never keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change (or anything, really). I never lay it down on the screen side.

I thought that this new version of Gorilla Glass was supposed to be more resistant to scratches? Anyone else finding their screens to be overly-sensitive to scratches? I might resort to using a screen protector, but I really like the feel of this screen and would also not want to lose any clarity. Any recommendations of a top-notch screen protector that doesn't sacrifice in these areas??

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1020 since launch day and already have ~5-6 light scratches on the screen. I've never used a screen protector on my previous 2 phones (Samsung Focus S and before that and iPhone 3Gs), but didn't have any troubles with those. I tend to be quite careful of my screen. I never keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change (or anything, really). I never lay it down on the screen side.

I thought that this new version of Gorilla Glass was supposed to be more resistant to scratches? Anyone else finding their screens to be overly-sensitive to scratches? I might resort to using a screen protector, but I really like the feel of this screen and would also not want to lose any clarity. Any recommendations of a top-notch screen protector that doesn't sacrifice in these areas??

It's the oleophobic coating that scratches, not the screen. So yes GG is scratch resistant, not scratch proof though.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
is there anyway to polish out the slight scratches of the coating then??

Was hoping GG 3 to make screen protector unnecessary.

Seems I was wrong. :wink:

There're few guides on YouTube - claiming you could polish them away - haven't tried it myself, suspect it might be some people trying to get you to buy their kit. (How To Polish Scratches From A Touch Screen Phone using ians-polishing-kits from ebay.co.uk - YouTube)

Conversely if you ignore the scratches that are there - and put on a screen protector from now on - it would be probably worth it. With AMOLED and WP8 software, it's quite difficult to see scratches unless you're on an all white site.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Huh. I have mine in my pocket all the time and haven't gotten any scratches. Do you also put other metal objects in there as well?

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
you must have razor blade, nails, needles and all kinds of crazy things in your pocket with the phone or something. my phone even dropped once already, and no scratch.

FCone

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has countless very shallow tiny scratches. Despite being cared for better than any phone I owned previously. I was very concerned and am using a screen protector with my 1020. I am not a believer in GG after my 920. (Even though the 1020 is the newest generation of GG)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Some of you have to be over-sensitive to this. I haven't been exactly gentle with my L920 and only have two really small scratches near the bottom of the screen. They are not even noticable unless I look at it really close.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
you must have razor blade, nails, needles and all kinds of crazy things in your pocket with the phone or something. my phone even dropped once already, and no scratch.

I've dropped my phone on road thrice, no scratches on screen. Body is dented but that's it!

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine has very light scratches and I've never dropped my phone or exposed it to any sharp pocket items. My phone looks brand new except for the light scratches. I would be willing to bet I am far more anal than most taking care of my phone and I still have scratches.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 521 right when they came out and haven't yet gotten a screen protector. No scratches so far that I can see.

FCone

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My 920 had many very slight scratches. The 1020 has a protector because of that. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my 1020 using Tapatalk

jazRock

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
This is very sad. My lumia 1020 has like a dozen light scratches on the screen. Not very noticeable, but they're there. My wife has been using the 520 for some time now, the handling is quite rough but there is not a single scratch on the screen despite the body already getting dented a bit. I was so impressed that I invested in a 1020. I treat it like a baby, but somehow, it still gets those scratches. Like I said, almost not noticeable, but a bit disappointing that I will now most likely need to get a screen protector..

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
people need to understand that even dust can scratch your gorilla glass , yep that's right dust can be made up from many many different particles including things like quartz and other particles that will easily scratch gorilla glass if they meet each other with any force or resistance

so all it takes is 1 speck of dust with a tough article in it to be rubbed across your screen as you wipe it with a cloth and boom little scratches will appear , its the same as polishing a car and the polish cloth has a tiny speck of dirt in it , the paintwork will receive micro scratches

now gorilla glass is tough but there are other things on the hardness scale that are tougher and will easily scratch gorilla glass ...... dust can be one of them depending on what it contains

this is why I always use a screen protector as you can treat your phone like a baby and one day notice little scratches and it can be very disheartening indeed specially when such good care has been taken of the device , however its the luck of the draw , some phones wont get scratched some will depending on what they comes across in their time , the only advice is to use a protector or be prepared for micro scratches to the screen one day ;-)

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Was hoping GG 3 to make screen protector unnecessary.

Seems I was wrong. :wink:

There're few guides on YouTube - claiming you could polish them away - haven't tried it myself, suspect it might be some people trying to get you to buy their kit. (How To Polish Scratches From A Touch Screen Phone using ians-polishing-kits from ebay.co.uk - YouTube)

Conversely if you ignore the scratches that are there - and put on a screen protector from now on - it would be probably worth it. With AMOLED and WP8 software, it's quite difficult to see scratches unless you're on an all white site.

I find this racist.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I never used a screen protector on my N8 and it did get scratched. I do use one on my 1020, it doesn't go to the edge of the screen and there is quite a noticeable scratch in the gap.
I keep it in my pocket or bag, no keys or anything else near it, as I'm paranoid about the camera glass. I do place it face down on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99