Screen scratches already??

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I just got a 1020 yet installing a screen protector was pretty much the first thing I did after u boxing the unit. My former Nokia E7, as well as my current and past work supplied phone, were equipped with Gorilla Glass displays. All of them collected very fine scratches during the usage times, even though I usually treat my phones quite carefully, for example I never put them into pockets with other objects.

Around the web you can find information's regarding GG and scratches. As already said by others here, Gorilla Glass can scratch pretty easy when being scratched by the wrong dust particles. Using a screen protector is still the only way to make sure your screens stay in mint conditions!

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am on to my 3rd 1020, having gone through two replacements. The first one I had for probably 3 months and treated it very carefully. It had zero scratches. Latest replacement I have had only a couple of weeks and I noticed yesterday the screen has quite a few small scratches already, which I find very strange as I am still very careful with it.

This makes me wonder whether there is variability across individual phones, either different hardware versions or slight differences in manufacturing of the glass. Otherwise I cannot explain how my latest phone has these scratches.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I am on to my 3rd 1020, having gone through two replacements. The first one I had for probably 3 months and treated it very carefully. It had zero scratches. Latest replacement I have had only a couple of weeks and I noticed yesterday the screen has quite a few small scratches already, which I find very strange as I am still very careful with it.

This makes me wonder whether there is variability across individual phones, either different hardware versions or slight differences in manufacturing of the glass. Otherwise I cannot explain how my latest phone has these scratches.

because the air contains different dust particles and some of them contain things that are tougher then gorilla glass so when you clean your phone screen with this dust on it will leave micro scratches , like swirls on a cars paint that can only be seen in the right light , you might have treated the phone like a baby and been extra carefull with the device but all it takes is 1 dust particle with a bit of quartz/sand etc in it and boom your screen could easily get a small scratch ...... earings are another reason , people forget that precious stones can be tougher then gorilla glass and scratch it easily when in contact with it ...... its scratch resistant not scratch proof which is a dam shame as a scratch proof display would rock ;-)

this is why I always use a screen protector because you can treat the phone as good as possible but still end up with a small scratch to it :-/

Dexterrino

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
with coatings or not, a scratch on a screen is still a scratch on a screen!
they just made up that oleo phobic coating stuff to hide its true nature- GG3 still scratches..
got micro scratches on my 1020 too after a month.

we dont need those coatings! the material glass is already so compressed and dense that micro bumps will never occur.

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My screen didn't have any scratches after 9 months, and I drop it with great regularity. However, upon dropping it the other night the screen has smashed. Not sure what to do as I am on a 2 year contract.

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My screen didn't have any scratches after 9 months, and I drop it with great regularity. However, upon dropping it the other night the screen has smashed. Not sure what to do as I am on a 2 year contract.

Are you happy to work off a broken screen? I guess not; get it replaced, and use a case since you drop it so frequently.

Last edited:

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you happy to work off a broken screen? I guess not; get it replaced, and use a case since you drop it so frequently.

No mate. Not sure what to do, seems expensive to get it fixed. May hold out for a few months and see what new devices are coming, keep saving and hope something good comes out. Getting really sick of my 1020 anyway as it is sooooo slow.

Robert William

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
indeed mate, my lumia 1020 has also 2 scratches until now!, i've just bought it only a month, i thought GG3 is much better. what the hell is happening, my lumia 920 doesn't have any problem without any screen guard o_O

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
indeed mate, my lumia 1020 has also 2 scratches until now!, i've just bought it only a month, i thought GG3 is much better. what the hell is happening, my lumia 920 doesn't have any problem without any screen guard o_O
As already stated multiple times, GG is quite easy to scratch. A grain of sand in your pocket which gets in contact with your screen is enough to scratch the glass. Maybe you got just that unlucky with your 1020 compared to your 920.
The only way to really start improving this would be to use stronger materials, like Apple is aiming for with their sapphire glass.

Robert William

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
As already stated multiple times, GG is quite easy to scratch. A grain of sand in your pocket which gets in contact with your screen is enough to scratch the glass. Maybe you got just that unlucky with your 1020 compared to your 920.

The only way to really start improving this would be to use stronger materials, like Apple is aiming for with their sapphire glass.

Oh i see mate, but i think GG is quite strong u know since i've seen video on youtube scratching lumia 920 with knife, hammer, nail, etc and the glass won't even scratch. It's just pretty dissapointing to saw that it would scratch just because of a sand :|

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh i see mate, but i think GG is quite strong u know since i've seen video on youtube scratching lumia 920 with knife, hammer, nail, etc and the glass won't even scratch. It's just pretty dissapointing to saw that it would scratch just because of a sand :|

I wish I would still have the links, but I've seen two German videos demonstrating just how easy GG scratches. They've also first used knives, keys and I think a nail or screw to scratch it, without much success. Then he placed two sandgrains he collected on the beach on too of the screen and moved them without much pressure: The scratches could be easily seen.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I got my 1020 off of someone on Kijiji, she only had the phone for 1 month and my gosh the screen had TONS of scratches. I convinced her to give me the phone drastically reduced price as i could not believe how badly it was scuffed. To this day I have not added a single extra scratch to the device, no screen protector but a cheap $5 chase to contain the overheating so i can hold the device without problems. I had my 920 for a year without any scratches, i never use screen protectors and always keep phones in my pocket...i am shocked by how poorly she handled the device, or how bad the GG was made for the 1020. Shocking.

Robert William

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I wish I would still have the links, but I've seen two German videos demonstrating just how easy GG scratches. They've also first used knives, keys and I think a nail or screw to scratch it, without much success. Then he placed two sandgrains he collected on the beach on too of the screen and moved them without much pressure: The scratches could be easily seen.

o_O, so basicly GG Couldnt b scratched by heavy things but instead it could lose by sands? My Gosh. But i never used my new lumia 1020 harshly you know,there's even no sand at my home. Just used it same with my lumia 920, i wonder if the lumia 1020 GG is more durable than others now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos