Is nokia pro cam realy as good as it claims?

newoyork1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have always been an advocate for windows and windows phones from the very start of windows 8. i have had the Lumia line from day one, (900, 920, 1020). I?m big on the camera smartphones and yes they all bring something new to the market, nothing as big as 41MB!!! My wife on the other hand has a Galaxy S4, and we have compared the cameras, to my surprise the picture quality on the s4 is much better.... here is what I ran into, my wife and i are in the bedroom and my wife asked if i can take a picture of her with the s4 so that she can send it to her cousin out in NYC. i said well let me use my new Nokia 1020 41mb camera it will be better. Ok but that she would like to use hers as well. To my surprise the Nokia 1020 was putting some kind of a hue/tint after the shoot was taken, making the picture look terrible. I continued to take some pictures with both cameras and the 1020 was not coming through for me. I was very disappointed with the outcome! Can someone please tell me that it?s a software issue and Nokia already knows about it and is working on a fix? Has anyone had similar issues?

:crying::crying::crying::cry::cry::cry::angry::angry::angry:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you upload the pictures you're talking about so we can help you further? It sounds like it's the white balance, which is easily fixed from the app before you take the picture.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed poor results from the auto white balance on the 1020. I had a similar experience when doing a quick comparison with my Canon point and shoot from 2009. It kind of sucks to have to manually set the white balance, as it slows down the process and is easy to overlook before taking the picture. But, I have taken a lot of pictures with the 1020 where the white balance was automatically determined correctly, so I'm not sure yet what the deal really is.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Sand but true, Samsung cameras are good, I've seen the s3 & s4 take pictures, and they are amazing. I try telling people that Nokias are better, sadly the pictures speak for them self's, I don't care about technical issues, if an average person thinks one is better, then it is.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have always been an advocate for windows and windows phones from the very start of windows 8. i have had the Lumia line from day one, (900, 920, 1020). I’m big on the camera smartphones and yes they all bring something new to the market, nothing as big as 41MB!!! My wife on the other hand has a Galaxy S4, and we have compared the cameras, to my surprise the picture quality on the s4 is much better.... here is what I ran into, my wife and i are in the bedroom and my wife asked if i can take a picture of her with the s4 so that she can send it to her cousin out in NYC. i said well let me use my new Nokia 1020 41mb camera it will be better. Ok but that she would like to use hers as well. To my surprise the Nokia 1020 was putting some kind of a hue/tint after the shoot was taken, making the picture look terrible. I continued to take some pictures with both cameras and the 1020 was not coming through for me. I was very disappointed with the outcome! Can someone please tell me that it’s a software issue and Nokia already knows about it and is working on a fix? Has anyone had similar issues?

:crying::crying::crying::cry::cry::cry::angry::angry::angry:

I've noticed this too. I look at my screen, the picture looks amazing, I snap the picture and while it's saving it changes colors. I'm not sure what's going on, so if there's a fix for this please let us know! Mine happens even if I change the white balance setting. The pictures still look okay, but they looked way better without the strange hue/tint.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Is nokia pro cam realy as good as it claims?

No, I think it's better :)

I am getting some very good results. Flaws? Sometimes, but even the 808 had to have a couple of camera updates at first to smooth things over..

newoyork1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This exactly what I'm talking about it doesn't matter what setting I have it'll change the final outcome once it saves..

newoyork1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Can you upload the pictures you're talking about so we can help you further? It sounds like it's the white balance, which is easily fixed from the app
before you take the picture.

I change all the settings and the image looks amazing on the screen but when I snap the picture and it save its a whole different picture.

newoyork1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this too. I look at my screen, the picture looks amazing, I snap the picture and while it's saving it changes colors. I'm not sure what's going on, so if there's a fix for this please let us know! Mine happens even if I change the white balance setting. The pictures still look okay, but they looked way better without the strange hue/tint.

This is exactly what I'm talking about it doesn't matter what setting I have it'll change the final outcome once it saves. 😞

newoyork1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so who at Nokia knows what's going on and is there a fix in the works? Remember this is what your focusing your new smartphones around, the best camera? Make good on this asap because this will drop you guys among the people very quickly!!!

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
If you could post examples, that would be helpful.

It's probably a white balance issue. I know with my Canon cameras, an eos 10d and s95, the white balance is always off indoors, to the point of making everything look like it has a yellow light shining on it. Fortunately, it's an easy fix with Photoshop, as long as I shoot in Raw. Can you shoot in raw with the 1020?

My Olympus Omd E-m5 does much better in this respect. Unfortunately, with the 1020, the idea is that you take the picture and send it off, spur of the moment. You'd hope that the photo looked presentable with the onboard processing.

If you have photoshop you can adjust the white balance (if you shoot in raw), but this will require you downloading the photos to your puter, which kind of defeats the purpose of the 1020. If I'm not mistaken, you can manually adjust the white balance, maybe you could experiment with which setting looks the best and select that when you are indoors. I seem to recall using "Flourescent," with my canon's but I can't be sure.

I'll be following this thread as the main reason I'm considering the 1020 is because of it's camera.

Steve

kev roc

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly what I'm talking about it doesn't matter what setting I have it'll change the final outcome once it saves. ��

You can edit the photo in Creative Studio after you take it, go to adjust photo and change the color balance to correct it.

I've also noticed that the overall color balance of the phone is off which you should change as well as it affects how the photos "look" on the phone even though they may look differently when viewed on another device. If you change the Color Saturation down to the lowest setting and up the color temp a bit it might help the overall look of photos on your phone.

Between those two tweaks most of my photos are pretty good. I did some extensive comparison to the S4 Active (not the regular S4) and the Lumia 1020 was better in 95% of the cases.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
You can edit the photo in Creative Studio after you take it, go to adjust photo and change the color balance to correct it.

I've also noticed that the overall color balance of the phone is off which you should change as well as it affects how the photos "look" on the phone even though they may look differently when viewed on another device. If you change the Color Saturation down to the lowest setting and up the color temp a bit it might help the overall look of photos on your phone.

Between those two tweaks most of my photos are pretty good. I did some extensive comparison to the S4 Active (not the regular S4) and the Lumia 1020 was better in 95% of the cases.

I compared the photos from my S4 Active as well and the 1020 turned out better.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Some good reading in this comparison:
Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom smartphone camera shootout | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Unlike the low-light shots above, these were shot under bright direct incandescent light.
Focus was on the pink grapefruit. The Lumia 1020's white balance was off
(even when I switched it to incandescent
), the S4 overexposed some,
but is otherwise good, and the S4 Zoom and HTC One turned in good results, too.
For what it's worth, the Zoom's the only one that reproduced the grapefruit accurately.
The iPhone 5's colors give me a headache.

Read more: Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom smartphone camera shootout | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Steve

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
my 1020 camera shots have been nothing less then fantastic. I have not had any issues with the camera or white balance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos