Supposedly there was a fix for the "other" storage issue in the GDR2 update...

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Was gunna post this myself the other day but I thought I'd wait to see if it got any bigger. It's at 2GB, I'm on a 920.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think simply updating to GDR2 will reduce your "Other" storage. Pasting a snippet from the Windows Phone Blog that explains various features in GDR2 (http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...-in-the-new-update-for-windows-phone-8.aspx):

"The new update helps ease this space crunch and reclaim space on your phone. When phone storage fills up, Windows Phone automatically starts winnowing the size of Other down to essential files like mail attachments and app data. The operating system still needs this area as a temporary storage bin, so it’s unlikely you’ll ever see Other completely empty, but it should no longer block you from downloading apps or updates (unless you go crazy with tons of gigantic email attachments)."

rynthnyltrr

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
guys adjust the date on your phone 1 month advance. for example the date today is august 21, adjust it to September 21.. then see the temporary files on your storage check.. problem solved..

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
guys adjust the date on your phone 1 month advance. for example the date today is august 21, adjust it to September 21.. then see the temporary files on your storage check.. problem solved..
Other storage problem has nothing to do with clearing temporary files by advancing date. Advancing the date would merely alleviate the SkyDrive photo cache, not the "Other" storage as reported in storage check.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think simply updating to GDR2 will reduce your "Other" storage. Pasting a snippet from the Windows Phone Blog that explains various features in GDR2 (http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...-in-the-new-update-for-windows-phone-8.aspx):

"The new update helps ease this space crunch and reclaim space on your phone. When phone storage fills up, Windows Phone automatically starts winnowing the size of Other down to essential files like mail attachments and app data. The operating system still needs this area as a temporary storage bin, so it’s unlikely you’ll ever see Other completely empty, but it should no longer block you from downloading apps or updates (unless you go crazy with tons of gigantic email attachments)."
I'm fine with most of their comments. What i do not understand is why they have designed the OS with such a big cache pool. On my L1020 i didn't pay attention what was the size of "Other" after i've activated it. After downloading the maps of USA i've checked the "Other", it was at 2.6GB. Now it is at 2.9GB. I do not download any games, no big attachments, everything at min. I have 100MB of photos in SkyDrive, and what i find funny is when i open the "Photos", the "Other Pictures - from SkyDrive" is always blank. It feels like every time i try to open this album, it is pulling it from the cloud, not from the cache. So, the question is, why is this "Other" storage for, if it is not a cache. Definitely in buggy state, and GDR2 doesn't do a thing to fix it. I'll believe that it is fixed when i see the "Other Pictures - from SkyDrive" album loads from the cache (doesn't show as blank) and not from cloud.

Mihai A Zaharia

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It actually works, but not with such a dramatic impact on the Other Storage. I managed to free up from 975 MB to 835 MB.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Feel your pain. But its much improved since GDR1. The problem with my 1020 is that os storage can't read some Nokia things such as my 38mega pixel photos don't get read as photos and just get lumped on other.

Using Nokia storage check tells you much more. Had my phone a month have all the apps I want my other is 6.3gig OS[2gig Nokia]

The actual size 2gigs is my actual other storage.

My Ascend W1 which only has 4gb and most of the apps I want has about 1gig other storage. Before it was much worse and higher so it has been fixed.

What really needs to happen is other to be removed and told what is taking up space

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism