How to get 38 mp photos? I only see 10 or less?

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi gang,

Ok got me the 1020, but have to admit not impressed with camera.....yet. Cannot seem to get high res photos only 10 mp or less. Even hooked usb to computer to download but only see the same? Any help how to set to high res.

Russ

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do this, but still the biggest image I see is 10 mp, and others are lower? So I am thinking there is a setting somewhere I do not have rig?

Russ

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do this, but still the biggest image I see is 10 mp, and others are lower? So I am thinking there is a setting somewhere I do not have rig?
Russ

Russ, the Nokia Pro Cam app only has two settings in Capture Mode: JPEG (5MP) & JPEG (5MP) + (34MP). To access the settings, Open Pro Cam app, tap the menu dots and tap settings. In the Capture Mode drop down make sure JPEG (5MP) + (34MP) is selected. The 5MP picture will be saved to the Pictures Hub for you to upload to social sites, while the 34MP is still available for you to edit via the Pro Cam app. You can only upload the 34MP picture to the AT&T Locker (use Wifi) or copy/move it to your PC via Windows Explorer (drag and drop). Once plugged into the PC you will see both the 5MP and 34MP picture (noted as "_high_res").

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok after making setting to save both high and low res, and taking several test shots in various conditions, and then trying to download image direct to computer here are the rsults.

Not one image was bigger than 16 mp, in fact there were only 1 mp option, and then a larger 11 - 16 option. With camera on auto each time I must admit the photos were somewhat dlear but colors and white balance were just horrible. In fact I will venture to say this "high end phone camera" takes no better photos than my ipad 3, and may even venture to say the ipad 3 takes better photos.

Now this was purchased as an alternative to bringing my big Nikon D90, but let me say Now 1 day after owning I think I may have made my worst purchase yet. I wonder if Amazon will take this back?

Russ

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're taking the photos with the Pro Cam app (which is the default) and you have it set up right, there should be files stored on your phone with filenames like WP_20130728_15_37_45_Pro__highres.jpg. Note the "highres" part, which sets the high res photos apart from the 5MP photos. If the filename doesn't have "highres" at the end, you're doing something wrong.

If you have "highres" in the filename, how about telling us the pixel dimensions of one of these images? For a 4:3 (38MP) photo the dimensions should be 7136x5360. For a 16:9 (33.5MP) photo the dimensions should be 7712x4352.

As for the while balance, sometimes you'll need to manually set the white balance (for indoor shots). As has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, even high end DSLRs don't always get the white balance right when set on automatic. This is part of knowing how to operate the camera.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok after making setting to save both high and low res, and taking several test shots in various conditions, and then trying to download image direct to computer here are the rsults.

Not one image was bigger than 16 mp, in fact there were only 1 mp option, and then a larger 11 - 16 option. With camera on auto each time I must admit the photos were somewhat dlear but colors and white balance were just horrible. In fact I will venture to say this "high end phone camera" takes no better photos than my ipad 3, and may even venture to say the ipad 3 takes better photos.

Now this was purchased as an alternative to bringing my big Nikon D90, but let me say Now 1 day after owning I think I may have made my worst purchase yet. I wonder if Amazon will take this back?

Russ
lmao

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think you are confusing megapixel for megabytes. When you look at pic info, most 5mp photos have a file size of around 1mb and most 34mp have a file size of around 10mb.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Please note Russ that MP and MB are *not* the same. A 34MP picture will equate to about a 10-15MB picture depending on the content of the photo. Also, regarding the AT&T Locker, you only need this if you want to download hi-res pix to their online storage, it's not necessary to have it in order to use or take the higher res pix but only to download them to an online storage (SkyDrive in WP doesn't currently allow it). Hope this helps...

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that. Then yes I did see those sizes, of terrible photos. :). Again sorry I sure was hoping for some cool results, but taking photos side by side with Nokia, ipad, and the Nikon D90 (of course cant compare that really) the nokia did overall the worst job. Keep in mind most of my photography is based on product photography even some using studio lightning, and some products are small. So this is only my opinion based on my on hands trial.

Luckily Amazon is doing a refund, trial and error. I do thank you guys for your help.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that. Then yes I did see those sizes, of terrible photos. :). Again sorry I sure was hoping for some cool results, but taking photos side by side with Nokia, ipad, and the Nikon D90 (of course cant compare that really) the nokia did overall the worst job. Keep in mind most of my photography is based on product photography even some using studio lightning, and some products are small. So this is only my opinion based on my on hands trial.

Luckily Amazon is doing a refund, trial and error. I do thank you guys for your help.

One thing you should be aware of about photography with the 1020, it's not good with very close/macro shots within 6 inches. I read somewhere that it had a minimum distance recommended (maybe 10-12 inches from the camera lens, but I don't recall at this time what it was though)...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Minimum distance with the 1020 is 15cm or 6 inches, but remember you can easily zoom into the image to create macro shots afterwards.

Can you post any comparison images to show us the difficulties you are having at all?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You can get pretty close, actually. This is a close up indoor photo I took in a hurry on full auto settings:

http://i.imgur.com/jJSCcyv.jpg

I think with a little care and understanding you can get excellent results from this camera. It is a fixed wide angle lens, you have to set white balance sometimes, you should know when and when not to use the flash, it helps to understand how image sizes work, etc. If you want to give up at the first sign of trouble though, so be it...

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but how could anyone who uses a D90 for product and studio shots not know the difference between megapixel and file size? And the ipad3 outperforming the 1020? Not really passing the sniff test for me. Only other explanation is a defective 1020.

LiveTilesRus

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If your iPad is outperforming the 1020, something is terribly wrong... with the device or technique.

Maybe go to the Nokia channel on youtube and watch some of the videos about zooming, manual focus etc. Just to be sure you're giving the 1020 a fair shot. Unless you're having buyers remorse then by all means take it back quickly.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I find it unbelievable that an owner of a decent DSLR would not understand the difference between storage size in bytes, which is the result of a file format (which in turn is a product of compression and other algorithms), and the megapixel count, which is a product of capturing light in a given number of pixels in order to produce a digital image (rather than an analog one.) That is, the same XMPx photo can be presented via any number of file formats and their various parameters, which may result in any number of file sizes on the disk and correspond to a visually indentical or non-identical rendition.

This is digital photography 101.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster