Battery fix

manleyb

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry had to make a new login because my laptop died and could not get this site to send me a reset on my password. Any way new owner of a Nokia 1020 and have read about battery life troubles and wonder is this a big issue with the 1020 or just windows phones? Today is day 8 with the new phone and I unplugged the phone when I got up, did nothing for 3 hours when I pickup the phone and the battery is down to 75%. Did check and nothing open. Now 4 hours in and down to 65%. The other day with little use my battery would have died around 6pm if I had not plugged it back in. If this fixable great if not this 1020 goes up for sale soon

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Dude understand why the battery drain is happening first instead of panicking or complaining. This happens on all platforms when apps get stuck or when the phone gets stuck (syncing issues). Try a reboot and check all your apps including the # of background tasks running.

manleyb

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It was not showing anything running in the background but a reboot fixed the issue for now. Strange thing is when I put it on the charger the night before it was not draining faster then normal and when I took it off this morning I didn't even look at it so I didn't open anything new before this happened. Would think if something was open or stuck it would have been that way before I put it on the charger. I know about ever platform has these problems from time to time I just want to make sure before the 14 days is up it is not the phone so I can get them to send me a new one before that if I think it is the phone

rdef

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I know on my 920 if I used nokia here my battery would nose dive, even if I closed it and it wasn't running in the background. Reboot and don't launch Nokia here and see if it's better.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

manleyb

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I know they have a year warranty but under the 14 days they will just send me a brand new phone and I don't have to wait. I tried the Nokia here a couple days after I got it but have not used any GPS program since. Strange thing is the battery app I have is gone from my lock screen today and I didn't change anything. Tried going in an setting to be on the lock screen and can't get it to show back up.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft or Nokia has got to provide novice users with a simple way to find out exactly what is running that is killing the battery. Android does this. Given all the problems people are having, it seems insane to not have this. People are just fumbling around in the dark and then giving up on the platform. Pretending that everything is ok and the user can just leave everything on the defaults is not a solution.

(Getting 3 days of battery life here.)

gallio

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I was experiencing extremely poor battery life on my Lumia 1020. After 3 hours of minimal use the battery would drop from 100% to around 70% and then after 5-6 hours it would be down to the 30% battery range, once again with minimal use.

I was frustrated as my Lumia 920 never had this problem. So I decided to experiment. All I changed was:

1. Unpin HERE Maps from Start
  2. Unpin HERE Drive 'My Commute' tile from Start

I never set up a My Commute, but I had the tile pinned. I am wondering if there is a glitch that is causing the app to constantly check even without having set up a commute.

I also downloaded a Maps app that opens the default maps app instead of using HERE Maps.

Today after charging over night, I took the phone off of the charger at 8:45am and now at 12:45pm I'm at 96% battery with minimal use. Problem seems to be resolved.

I'm guessing since Nokia has exclusive access to modifying Windows Phone, something in their HERE apps isn't being properly tombstoned and it's draining battery. Other's have reported seeing HERE Maps pulling down data when it's not even open.

So for others experiencing poor battery life on the Lumia 1020, I would suggest trying what I did listed above.

gallio

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Another weird thing to note though is that my phone is reportedly using 6+% of battery per hour, which is not true based on my previous post. Anyone have an idea as to why it's showing this?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I also downloaded a Maps app that opens the default maps app instead of using HERE Maps.

Cool thanks, I wasn't sure this was possible. If anyone else is reading this and wondering which Maps app it is, it's just called Maps and it appears to be only a small launcher for the built-in maps app that Nokia has hidden from us. Here's the store page:

Maps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I've been getting good battery life with HERE Maps pinned (no commute thing), but I had some problems that had me wishing for the built-in maps app. Now I can use either one!

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Another weird thing to note though is that my phone is reportedly using 6+% of battery per hour, which is not true based on my previous post. Anyone have an idea as to why it's showing this?

I'm having the exact same problem with the Lumia 928.
I really don't have much installed on it and went to bed last night with 90% charge. Was up at 7am and the phone reported LOW battery while not on the charger (30%).
Took a shower and went to pick up the phone and it was dead.
Put it on the NFC charger and it actually charges quickly.

But having a hard time identifying the culprit. On Android, I was able to easily isolate a bad service or app.
I did the above Gallio recommended and testing to see what's going on.

manleyb

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Well since I rebooted the other day no problems but I've not used anything that needs the GPS. The thing the bugs me the most is not being able to set custom tones for text messages. This thing might just go up for sale while it is still worth a nice amount. Love the camera but wish microsoft would put out more on future updates like will the tones be something we will be able to change down the road. Also something to fix the battery drain issues. With nothing showing up as running it is hard to see where the problem is

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The battery drain is some OS bug, apps get killed off 10 seconds after they are not running in the foreground. It could be that it is not doing that properly... I hope Microsoft fixes this because it is a big deal. I have caught my phone do the same thing and had to reboot to fix.

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Followup - I actually tracked the drain tonight. After trial and error I can confirm drain stopped when I unpinned HERE Commute from home screen.

Sent using Tapatalk

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to try this because my battery drain is also terrible. Seems okay when in idle but when I start using it then it takes a nose dive..my settings are as follows.
Location off
Glance off
Double tap to wake off
Auto brightness
3 background apps
That's it!! I don't use here commute but I do have maps pinned to start and I'll try and remove it to see what that does.
Never had this issue with my 920......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon