Main Problems with the 1020 (so far) and some positives.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
So I was recently on a two week family holiday and usedmy 1020 as my main camera (both for photos and video) and took over 2000photos.
Here are some issues I run into.

1. Copying Photos
First off I had to move over 30gb of photos and videos over to my Surface Pro, over 3 copy sessions during the holiday (about 10gbeach time, as I did not want to run completely out of space on my phone) whichof itself would not be a big issue, but the copying was painfully slow eachtime taking well over an hour and needing me to plug in my Surface on two of thoseoccasions.
The Surface Pro has a great fast USB 3.0 port butcombined with the very slow USB 2.0 on the Lumia 1020 and the large amount offiles being copied and you start tearing you hair out as to why Nokia did notput in a microUSB 3.0 on the phone (even if for full support you had to waitfor WP8.1 update?).

2. Nokia Camera Apps
Second big issue I run into is with the great NokiaCamera apps, i.e. the Pro Cam App and the Smart Cam App.
Both these apps have a serious flaw; that being theirinability to save edited photos to the camera roll. i.e. in the Pro Cam App youcan’t save multiple zoom ins from the same photo as it always overwrites theoriginal 5mp image.
The Smart Cam App has the same problem always overwritingthe original photo without the ability to save the new ‘version’ to the cameraroll. You are only able to email/upload/share the new edited photos, but unableto save multiple versions to the camera roll.
This is a serious deficiency in both these apps and makesthese great features useless when you don’t have a data connection to upload oremail yourself the edited images.

3. Now on a positive note. (Camera Grip)
The Nokia camera grip is the best accessory you can buyfor the 1020. During the two weeks (part of which were camping nights) it nevercame off and added valuable shooting time without which the phone would be deadby lunch on some days.
I still occasionally had to plug the phone into a carcharger during a heavy photo/video days, but on most days it lasted into theevening.
The grip is also invaluable when it comes to one handshooting or just for holding the phone in one hand while walking between siteson a trail or in the city.
Since I came back the grip is still on my 1020 and itwill probably stay on, apart from the added battery it provides a great tablestand and with the Nokia Glance Screen serves as a nice desk clock when at homeor work.

That is it. I could go into the great photo and surprisinglybrilliant video quality the 1020 has, but that has been covered to deathalready and this post has been long enough.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My opinions on your issues

1. How deeply hurt and bald are you :p .. I don't know what your tolerance is, but on my pc I get around 10MBps copy speed from my device. So going by your 10GB it should take 15 minutes. I wouldn't tear my hair out, instead just play a small game until the copying is done for that. Maybe it is a localized issue with your surface pro and 1020.

2. So you have a problem with losing pictures, this makes no sense to me because the original picture is still there. If you are so irritated by it replacing your photos make sure next time you take 3 to 4 snaps of each as you would do with other camera phones and save 50GB instead of 30GB. This is your option to get over the frustration of losing the area so carefully zoomed into.

I think I hate reading long posts, my replies reflect my angst and all my reactions are solely based on my experience with a 920.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My opinions on your issues

1. How deeply hurt and bald are you :p .. I don't know what your tolerance is, but on my pc I get around 10MBps copy speed from my device. So going by your 10GB it should take 15 minutes. I wouldn't tear my hair out, instead just play a small game until the copying is done for that. Maybe it is a localized issue with your surface pro and 1020.

2. So you have a problem with losing pictures, this makes no sense to me because the original picture is still there. If you are so irritated by it replacing your photos make sure next time you take 3 to 4 snaps of each as you would do with other camera phones and save 50GB instead of 30GB. This is your option to get over the frustration of losing the area so carefully zoomed into.

I think I hate reading long posts, my replies reflect my angst and all my reactions are solely based on my experience with a 920.

Bad taste. Bad post. If you don't like long posts just don't reply!

So I was recently on a two week family holiday and usedmy 1020 as my main camera (both for photos and video) and took over 2000photos.
Here are some issues I run into.

2. Nokia Camera Apps
Second big issue I run into is with the great NokiaCamera apps, i.e. the Pro Cam App and the Smart Cam App.
Both these apps have a serious flaw; that being theirinability to save edited photos to the camera roll. i.e. in the Pro Cam App youcan?t save multiple zoom ins from the same photo as it always overwrites theoriginal 5mp image.
The Smart Cam App has the same problem always overwritingthe original photo without the ability to save the new ?version? to the cameraroll. You are only able to email/upload/share the new edited photos, but unableto save multiple versions to the camera roll.
This is a serious deficiency in both these apps and makesthese great features useless when you don?t have a data connection to upload oremail yourself the edited images.

This is interesting and good to know. I have amber on my 920 and haven't bothered to look at edited photos. That's a bummer to learn that it's not in your camera roll. AND unable to save multiple versions to the camera roll. How unuseful is that.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
1. I have no problems saving my pictures to my computer and it does not take very long not sure why it is taking so long for you.

2. I had to adjust to the way the camera works too. I'm sure at some point Nokia will release an update that lets you save different zooms instead of
over writing all the time. That being said you can just up load the large photo and save the different zoomed images once you get home.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guess what - one of your problems is solved.. sort of.

Turns out when your phone is plugged into your pc, open it up in File Explorer.

You can transfer any photo from any location - including your pc into the camera roll folder!

I just tried it :)

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guess what - one of your problems is solved.. sort of.

Turns out when your phone is plugged into your pc, open it up in File Explorer.

You can transfer any photo from any location - including your pc into the camera roll folder!

I just tried it :)

That is not the issue; the issue is that the Nokia camera apps do not enable multiple saves from the one original Pro Cam or Smart Cam photo. You can only over-write the previous one, i.e. you can only save one zoomed in photo to camera roll; same for smart cam you can only have one version of the smart photo saved in your camera roll.

To save different versions of e.g. smart cam photos you either need to upload them or copy them to PC and then change them again on the phone....

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
1. I have no problems saving my pictures to my computer and it does not take very long not sure why it is taking so long for you.

I was surprised by the very slow copy speed, it may be that is was because I had only about 30GB of space left on my Surface; I heard that SSD performance is affected when you are running low on free space.
I will have to look into this a bit more to see what causes the slow down.

But regardless microUSB 3.0 on Phones would not hurt, especially on phones like the 1020 where you are moving lot of 10mb+ photos around. I don't know why Phone OEMs are still using the outdated USB 2.0 standard.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
upload your pic to skydrive first, than edit your pic, so you still have the original one.....

That only works if you have unlimited data connection or are close to a wifi. If you are hiking/driving/staying in a national park where there is often no signal then neither of those are an option. And once you get back home you just can't be bothered to go back and re-edit tens or even hundreds of photos.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why it's so slow unless you're doing USB to SD card. I transfer about 10GB in 15mins as others have stated on my Surface Pro.

As for #2 on the list, I agree. I want to save each reframe as a separate image too. Not deal breaker, but it'd be nice.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
@GoodThings2Life interestingly enough, once I got back the speed from Surface (SSD) to my external USB 3.0 HDD was an average 80mb/s. So it was an issue between the Lumia 1020 and Surface Pro.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Not an ideal fix, but you can take a 5mp image you want to save, open it in creative studio real quick. Perform no changes to it and save it to your saved pictures folder. Then back out to the original 5mp, open it pro cam and recrop again to get another image. Each time using creative to save the new one..

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
As for #2 on the list, I agree. I want to save each reframe as a separate image too. Not deal breaker, but it'd be nice.

@John20212 and @GoodThings2Life I use Thumba Photo Editor when I want to save multiple images from a single photo. It doesn't over write the original and saves the new image to your Saved Photo folder. It is also a great photo editing app all around. It's a definite $0.99 purchase.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
There is always a work around. But your point 2 is valid and it will be pretty easy for Nokia to make the software change. Some one should notify Nokia about that.

jeffskent

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the same concerns as the OP about my 1020 and my Surface Pro. I can't for the life of me understand why multiple zoomed shots can't be made and saved from the HiRes original. Storage space can't be an issue because even the 32 GB 1020 seems to have space for at least a thousand pics at a time, and who takes more than 1000 pics in a day? A second issue for me is: Why can't I re load one of my own HiRes pics and re zoom or edit it in Pro Camera. Pro Camera uses smart pixels or something to make a better zoomed picture. This is said to be a better zoomed picture than a simple zoom in picture. If this is so, why can't Nokia make a software editing app that would allow later smart pixel zooming after the picture is off the original camera roll? Nokia has the goal of quick and easy and beautiful picture taking with all of its cameras and apps. Right?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
@jeffskent, just to add to what you mentioned,

It would be great if Nokia made a Windows desktop app (or modern for win 8) for managing and editing Pro Cam and Smart Cam photos on the PC and not just on the Phone.

edit: anyone know best way to forward these suggestions directly to Nokia?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss