Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Nokia...the name that was synonymous to mobile phones in many countries, the most innovative brand in the whole history, but above all, the most loved brands of all times is no more.
    Nokia was what drove me to Windows Phone. It was what made me learn programming for development for WP. Nokia was the sole reason which attracted my interest to technology. I felt so proud in telling everyone, "I own a Nokia." That shining logo sitting proudly at the top of each of my phones...it will be no more.
    I know, the Nokians aren't dead, I know that they will just be working under a different name, but it still hurts to see the name disappear. Whenever I read something like "Nokia would never make a phone again," I get goosebumps. I am heartbroken. I will never ever see a Nokia phone again, and besides, 'Microsoft Lumia' would not sound all that great either.
    Why did this have to happen? Nokia was making progress, although slowly, but it had finally gained momentum!! Why is every tech website overlooking the feels of loyal Nokia customers?? I know I am not the only one here with such love for Nokia!
    Folks, I know the change maybe for good, but it hurts me to see the king of mobile devices be chained down like this.
    What do you guys say? Any dedicated Nokia fan here?

Wow - First world problems eh...

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Nokia meant a lot to me...and that's probably why I'm so upset.

I was the other way; I got a Nokia device because I liked Windows Phone and Nokia made the best ones. Hopefully it's just a change of name and the Nokia phone people will be able to keep going making amazing phones like they have before.
    Thanked by:
    WP8fan 
    snowmutt, cuzincurly and WP8fan like this.

As long as people are not loosing jobs im happy. But I get your feelings.
    Thanked by:

So, millions of dollars for development and access to patents and software is your idea of being 'chained down'? Stop reading the IT press, they know nothing!!!
    Superboy Micah likes this.

i'm italian and, as you probably know, in europe Nokia is THE company phone (even if at know it doesn't sell so much like in past), so you can understand that here is considered a great change...i'm just pleased that nokia hasn't been buyed by microsoft but it continue to exist with here maps and other services and, after 2015, it could be able to return on mobile world (but i don't think that it will happens so soon)...i hope that microsoft leave nokia team free to continue the great work that they are doing with, for example, the 1020 and all the apps that contain (ex: Amber update contains more updates than GDR2, even if it has to be just a personalization of GDR2 update)...to conclude i hope that this purchase will improve the WP software and hardware integration and that Nokia's soul (with cameraphones and continuing develop of innovative features) can survive...sorry for my bad english
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I hope Microsoft will still allow Nokia to push innovation forward, and not make it a slow speed company like MS has been in the past.
    Thanked by:
    I'm disappointed with the bad quality of new nokia devices and feel that with MS support Nokia will be more like Samsung Mobile, this is a proof that it died years ago...

I think this was to help both companies and Nokia needed as much help as does Microsoft, here's to more years of incredible phones with this partnership

Companies mainly sell out because thing aren't going good..look at Motorola.google bought them out and there not doing so good companies sell because they need help .any one seeing Samsung doing this ....i don't think so

Oh we problems much sillier than this.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I understand what you're saying. I owned many Nokia products in the past. Even owned CRT monitors back in the days when they made them.

It's all business I guess. As long as the people still survive. From what I read on the Internet, Nokia's financial standing wasn't that great. Who knows how long it will take them to be stable.
    Nokia Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile

My first "smartphone" back in the mid-90's was a Nokia. Before that, almost every phone I owned was a Nokia.

I'll miss Nokia as a handset maker. But keep in mind that the whole business is still exists. It was just given to someone else with bigger pockets to run.

I think Nokia could have gone forward and remained in the handset business if they wanted to. But for the amount of money it costs to compete in that business, and the amount of time it would have required to gain supremecy again, the board probably thought focusing on other areas of business was smarter.

Nokia as a company is still going to be around. And they'll likely do well. We'll still see their name in location services and stuff.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I was wandering... What about simple phones? Those that we use for... calling other people. Will they stop releasing them?

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Another very sad and loyal Nokia user here. It was very shocking news to hear :| The only thing that made it a little better was my stocks on which I made a hefty return...

Global Posts
    4,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by grininja View Post
    I was wandering... What about simple phones? Those that we use for... calling other people. Will they stop releasing them?
    They will continue to release basic and feature phones. That's why they licensed the Nokia name.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts
    Nokia means a lot to people in many developing countries as well. Nokia was more widely known for its Asha line which sold 50mil+ units rather than the Lumia line with 8mil in sales.

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    Quit yer bloody complaining
    LG VX8500>KIN ONEm>Palm Pixi Plus>KIN ONE>Palm Pixi Plus>Lumia 822
    >Droid X>Droid 1>Lumia 822>Droid 3>Lumia 822/iPhone 4/Veer 4G
    All on VZW except iPhone and Veer

Indeed. Heartbroken is when your dog dies or your wife leaves you. This is just time marching on.

I didn't realize Nokia still made phones until seeing the one in Star Trek 2009. Then I started looking at getting a 920 this year... last I knew of Nokia was my 3210 from about 10 years ago. It's been all LG, Motorola and Samsung (all non-smart phones, except for a LG Quantum... loved the physical keyboard!!!!!) since then. But I'm glad they hung around, loving my 920 and feel I missed out on the N97 - that looks like a killer!
    Last edited by nohra; 09-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
    and was saved from every trouble.
    The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and delivers them.

Psalm 34:6-7 NRSV

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I understand that many of the people here believe that Nokia will still continue, just under a different name. And it may even produce better devices which maybe good for WP as a whole, but the thing is, it is sad to see the name go. I understand and accept your opinion, trust me.
    But there was an emotional connection with Nokia, and that's where it makes me upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Indeed. Heartbroken is when your dog dies or your wife leaves you. This is just time marching on.
    Indeed - having an emotional attachment to an inanimate object is ridiculous. The way people are going on its like
    bm1.jpg

When any normal person would be like

bm2.jpg

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    indeed - having an emotional attachment to an inanimate object is ridiculous. The way people are going on its like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm1.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	42216

when any normal person would be like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	42217
    finally! This!!
    snowmutt and martinmc78 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by krox1105 View Post
    I understand that many of the people here believe that Nokia will still continue, just under a different name. And it may even produce better devices which maybe good for WP as a whole, but the thing is, it is sad to see the name go. I understand and accept your opinion, trust me.
    But there was an emotional connection with Nokia, and that's where it makes me upset.
    I understand where you're coming from. It's similar to how I felt when Sega left the console business.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast