How to take incredible photos with the Nokia Lumia 1020

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
afaik you just click the camera button in and you get a fairly incredible photo already! lol

definitely some good advice though!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Great point in that article about avoiding filters. I stopped using filters for most of my shots that I upload to instagram, because I've noticed it adds a lot of noise. I only use filters for my not so great pics and in situations where a filter actually helps.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I stopped reading in the first paragraph. I really dislike art majors writing how to take better pictures with X device, and then start telling me good pictures have nothing to do with the camera...personal issue, nothing against the OP. Rest of the article was probably great.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I stopped reading in the first paragraph. I really dislike art majors writing how to take better pictures with X device, and then start telling me good pictures have nothing to do with the camera...personal issue, nothing against the OP. Rest of the article was probably great.

I think that was just a case of poor wording on his part. Maybe what he "should" have said is no matter how good the camera, there is way more to taking a great shot than good equipment. He almost makes it sound like you can take a gerat shot with ANY camera but I wouldn't go quite that far. I do believe that even if you have a great camera, you do have to have a certain "sense" about what makes a great shot and the manner in which to take it. It is nice to see though that you can take these great shots with the L1020 if you have the desire and knack for finding the shot so to speak.

Last edited:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Take it like this:

Wayne Gretzky is arguably one of (if not the) greatest hockey player of all time. However, even in his prime with the Oilers in the 80's he couldn't have made this miracle happen:

Going out on the ice in the third period where the team he was playing with was down by 99 goals with 60 seconds left to play and win.

However, this isn't even the analogy the author was going for. You can have the makings of a great photo even with subpar equipment. Maybe Wayne knocks out two goals in 60 seconds, making the crowd wonder why he wasn't put out on the ice sooner. Maybe the shot taken with the EasyShare taken with auto settings could have benefitted from better white balance - or maybe that was the photographer's intent.

Artsy fartsy

I got nothing.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have no disagreement with the photogs eye being at least as important as the hardware. Composition, subject selection, point of view, etc...all extremely important. I just take that as a given, though, and my eyes roll back in my head when I see a title about hardware that starts off saying the hardware doesn't matter.

codo27

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I admit I scoffed a photographers before and thought I'd get auto-awesome pics with the phone but I was mistaken. I have had some really nice daylight ones, but still figuring it out overall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3