Unknown "objects" on my Lumia 1020 display when showing black screen

jerrryCZ

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I've bought Nokia Lumia 1020 in yellow and everything works like a charm, but I found a small problem which is visible only at night (in darkness). I can't take a photo because it's really hard to see and catch it on camera but I tried to reproduce "what I see" in Photoshop (look at the attached image below). This problem occurs only when the display background is black or when I open a black image on full screen. In this case I can see black "objects" or stripes… It looks like small cracks on display (cover glass), but the phone is brand new and has never fallen down. When I switch to any screen with other color (or set White theme instead of Black), these "objects" are gone and everything is ok. And I can't see these "objects" during the day, only at night (or in the darkness/low light conditions). Does anybody know what the hell these objects are? :(

img.jpg
I created this in Photoshop – "objects" are hard to see & hard to capture with my DSLR

Last edited:

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unknown objects on my Lumia 1020 while showing black screen

Yes. I just posted this in the problems and defects thread.

I wrote:I'm noticing black lines and spots on this AMOLED screen with a dark background. Take a look at the screen against a gray or dark picture. This is stuff that I encountered on the Galaxy S2 but Samsung seemed to fix on the S3 going forward. Wonder where Nokia is getting these screens because its not the best quality.

Certainly not the best AMOLED panels that Nokia is using.

jerrryCZ

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unknown objects on my Lumia 1020 while showing black screen

I think this must be a display-manufacturing issue :(

Last edited:

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's typical of all AMOLED displays. When the display is dark artifacts tend to be visible, and manifest themselves in the form of blobs or lines. I don't remember the specifics now, but it's related to manufacturing limitations in properly aligning the various layers. Not all pixels get consistent voltage applied because they're not always making full contact. It's a problem that's evident in low voltage mode, hence why you see those artifacts on a dark screen.

Numerous companies have tried to improve the process but I don't think anyone has hit on a consistently good solution yet. AMOLED still has numerous drawbacks, short life expectancy and risk of burn-in being the most significant, at least for the end user. It's why you still don't see them used for much more than smartphones which generally get tossed within a year or two. Sony has introduced high-end reference class OLED monitors which start at roughly $15k for a 25" display. At that price range they can afford to be extra careful about manufacturing. But widespread adoption of OLED for larger displays is a long way off.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Initial batch of any phone has issues, but hey they are the luckiest as they get a replacement quickly because the manufacturer is keen to rectify the problem :)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
There's no fix for it...are you saying you got a new phone that doesn't have it?

I don't have a L1020, but I purchased a L720 on day 1 of its launch in my country.
Had a casing defect, the Nokia shop guy came to my office and took it for inspection after a tiff, accepted that it was a fault and did the replacement, has happened with a few of my previous mobiles and also with my colleagues who ordered the first batch of any phone. (This is not limited to Nokia), also the manufacturer has to be open to accept the fault and be able to rectify it, else the belt is loosened and the pants may fall down.

The fix is ask for a replacement, if the shop does not agree, mail Stephen Elop and the shop will come to your place to treat you the way you should have been treated.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a L1020, but I purchased a L720 on day 1 of its launch in my country.
Had a casing defect, the Nokia shop guy came to my office and took it for inspection after a tiff, accepted that it was a fault and did the replacement, has happened with a few of my previous mobiles and also with my colleagues who ordered the first batch of any phone. (This is not limited to Nokia), also the manufacturer has to be open to accept the fault and be able to rectify it, else the belt is loosened and the pants may fall down.

The fix is ask for a replacement, if the shop does not agree, mail Stephen Elop and the shop will come to your place to treat you the way you should have been treated.

Sounds like every phone has it though, its an inherent flaw with amoled, not a defect.

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My 820 has the same issue. Only visible though in utter darkness with a black screen... Looks well funky but doesn't bother me at all as i very rarely have a fully black screen...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)