Pro Photog with 1020 part 2: Taking the 1020 to the next level: MACRO edition!

deepu424

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a link. I actually bought this filter back in 2001 for a totally crappy HP digital camera. In any case, it is a Tiffen filter, the thread size is 38mm, but I don't think you'll find any in that size. Probably 52mm or around there at the smallest. The higher the closeup rating, the better the magnification. This filter says +18 but I don't think it corresponds to the numbers you see on the filters nowadays.

Anyhow, you can also get a closeup filter on many of those cheap wide angle lens adapters that would do the same thing:

Z74 0 45X Wide Angle Lens with Macro Adapter Ring for Panasonic DMC LX7 Camera | eBay

Hey...Thanks for the link to the ebay... how are you attaching the lens to the phone..??

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey...Thanks for the link to the ebay... how are you attaching the lens to the phone..??

Witch scotch tape. Just like this

1020withMacro.jpg

You don't want to put that whole wide angle setup on your lens for macro. You want to unscrew the macro part and use only that piece.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
OP here again.

Tried taking advantage of the super high shutter speed of the Lumia 1020. The fastest I've been able to get is 1/16800 which is awesome. The fastest DSLR is 1/8000 which isn't quite fast enough for high speed photography. Normally, you need to use a short duration flash with an acoustic trigger wired in to simulate shutter speeds above 1/8000. Which is a super PITA. But the fast shutter speed of the 1020 just barely breaks into the high speed zone. Faster would be better, but 1/16800 is nothing to sneeze at. So I tried taking a couple shots of water splashes using only a LED flashlight as as light source.

Again, I ran into some problems with such shallow Depth of Field at maximum magnification, but overall I had fun with it. This time I didn't use the macro filter, just the MFD and zoom of the 1020.

drip1.jpg

drip2.jpg

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
OP here again.

Tried taking advantage of the super high shutter speed of the Lumia 1020. The fastest I've been able to get is 1/16800 which is awesome. The fastest DSLR is 1/8000 which isn't quite fast enough for high speed photography. Normally, you need to use a short duration flash with an acoustic trigger wired in to simulate shutter speeds above 1/8000. Which is a super PITA. But the fast shutter speed of the 1020 just barely breaks into the high speed zone. Faster would be better, but 1/16800 is nothing to sneeze at. So I tried taking a couple shots of water splashes using only a LED flashlight as as light source.

Again, I ran into some problems with such shallow Depth of Field at maximum magnification, but overall I had fun with it. This time I didn't use the macro filter, just the MFD and zoom of the 1020.

http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/WPCentral/1020Macro/drip1.jpg

http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/WPCentral/1020Macro/drip2.jpg

Awesome shots!! Really, really cool stuff.

This is a shameless self plug but, have you tried ProShot? It's has an MF assist mode that makes nailing focus really easy. Would love to hear some input from a professional photographer! :)

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have this lens for the lumia 920 and havent figured out how to use it. 12x telephoto plus 41mp = awesome shots of the moon. How did you manage to attach it?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Bumping this useful thread to show my kit and some macros I took. No post-production of the photos, taken in mediocre light on my kitchen table. These are taken with the 10x and 4x stacked.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Speechless. That's all I can really say. I'm pretty sure that if you didn't quantify pre-shoot that you were not a macro photog, no one would have known any differently. Thanks for the testament to what this phone can do when pushed, even though it's not its forte.

Rob Mulally

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
AccentAE86,
Would you mind posting a link to the macro filter you used (or similar) ones?
How many mm is the filter you used on your setup?

This information would be great ! would be great!

I created this on my Grip: let me know what you think: Google Plus Pictures of ND Filter attachment for Lumia1020

I might be able to create a mount that lets me attach the macro filter easily... would love more information too!

Cheers
Rob

poirierl

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am just wondering exactly what kind of lenses you are using for this. It looks very small in shape. I love your work! And would love to start doing close up's of my own soon.
Thanks, Luc

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Reyno1969

May 28, 2014
Visit site
After seeing this thread and AccentAE86 spider pictures it inspired me to try for myself :)
I used a 20mm eye piece from an old refracting telescope I've got (a cheap National Geographic - not very good) and cut it down its small size fits perfectly over the 1020 lens without obscuring the shot.
Here's a shot of the cut down lens with a complete 12mm eyepiece next to it:
DIY Macro lens.jpg
Here's some of my first batch of shots, these are all taken hand held but I've got a mini tripod and focusing rail on order, so hopefully my next shots should be clearer:

Amaurobius similis3.jpg

Amaurobius similis7.jpg

Amaurobius similis6.jpg

This spider is an Amaurobius similis - Lace Weaver spider approx. 10mm long by 5mm at its widest.
Any tips would be most welcome :).

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
After seeing this thread and AccentAE86 spider pictures it inspired me to try for myself :)
I used a 20mm eye piece from an old refracting telescope I've got (a cheap National Geographic - not very good) and cut it down its small size fits perfectly over the 1020 lens without obscuring the shot.
Here's a shot of the cut down lens with a complete 12mm eyepiece next to it:
View attachment 67707
Here's some of my first batch of shots, these are all taken hand held but I've got a mini tripod and focusing rail on order, so hopefully my next shots should be clearer:

View attachment 67708

View attachment 67709

View attachment 67710

This spider is an Amaurobius similis - Lace Weaver spider approx. 10mm long by 5mm at its widest.
Any tips would be most welcome :).

Very nice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo