1020 Vs the S4

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My brother has been extolling the (many) virtues of his beloved S4 and trying his best to ridicule my preference of wanting the 1020.

Besides the camera, is there anything I can use to counter his argument?

On paper, the S4 is surely the better device based on specs and features but can anything raise the profile of the 1020?

My first thoughts are security. WP8 is tightly locked down compared to the openness of Android and less susceptible to infections and malicious code.

My second thoughts are the camera....hmmm already mentioned this.

Anything else?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
A few nods to the 1020:
- It's Windows Phone. It's smoother than Project Butter.
- As such, due to the immense number of apps following the Modern design language, it's a unified experience not only on this platform, but also on Windows 8
- The many Nokia improvements: Glance, Double-tap to wake, Pro Cam, and many more.
- There's a LANYARD STRAP. Repeat after me, there's a LANYARD STRAP. More security. Less breakability. (I'd argue that this makes it more of a camera in spirit.)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
A piece of advice if your brother is really like that: take a leaf out of my book and ignore him. Let him suffer the consequences of using TouchWiz. *evil laugh*

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Beside clearblack screen I am not sure there is anything else, perhaps sunspider performance.. Actually the security issue is not entirely bad on Android, since you doesn't by default gets access to system files - but since the system is way more flexible there is some issues mainly from non google play apps.
Also , on wp8 a few companies can see the code and security flaws, on android there is many more to fix this.

I was an android user for many years (had the s3 last, with custom rom and kernel) , but company policy it is wp8 I had to use. I must admit, android does a lot of things way better than wp8, and I am not sure there is everything wp8 do that android doesn't, but there is a ton of stuff when using wp8 I miss from my android.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have two s4's and got my Lumia 1020 yesterday. Android is complex and nobody uses all the features of the s4 it is way overkill which is why I prefer the simple Google Edition S4 that I have. The touch wiz edition are really bloated and leave only 9+ GB of internal storage unless you get a 32GB model.

They are nice phones but if you want a simple design, superb camera and want all the things you can do on a smart phone WP is fine. I think the camera, simplicity and build quality of Nokia are pluses and the only negative I have experienced is lack of google apps, which I use many. Since I have both I will use both, but lack of apps to people who already have several favorite smartphone apps is a major obstacle for WP. I think WP would be more successful luring new smartphone owners as opposed to switching platforms.

In the end he will be more jealous of your camera than you will be of his 100 features he does not use...unless he uses them all...

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
A few nods to the 1020:
- As such, due to the immense number of apps following the Modern design language, it's a unified experience not only on this platform, but also on Windows 8
- The many Nokia improvements: Glance, Double-tap to wake, Pro Cam, and many more.
- There's a LANYARD STRAP. Repeat after me, there's a LANYARD STRAP. More security. Less breakability. (I'd argue that this makes it more of a camera in spirit.)

Agree about the lanyard. Small things like that make big differences...especially on costly devices! Good call, but not sure it's one that will sway his opinion.

The lag is definitely a worthy shout but one which he will no doubt deny occurs on his state of the art, best phone in the world. Tbh, we have two Android devices in the house (Nexus 7 1st gen and Samsung Galaxy Y) and neither have huge problems when it comes to lag although Android lag is fairly well documented. My daughter's Galaxy Y isn't the most fluid device ever but it's only an entry level phone, the Nexus 7 seems to run pretty well though.

Glance is a great feature added by Amber but lets be honest, it should've been included by default. Symbian even had it. I'm not sure if something of a similar nature exists on the S4 though, same applies to tap to wake. ProCam is amazing but many S4 fans argue this is just a rip off from the S4 built-in camera controls.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
A few nods to the 1020:

I did not put my lanyard strap on...yet, do people really use it?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have two s4's and got my Lumia 1020 yesterday. Android is complex and nobody uses all the features of the s4 it is way overkill which is why I prefer the simple Google Edition S4 that I have. The touch wiz edition are really bloated and leave only 9+ GB of internal storage unless you get a 32GB model.

They are nice phones but if you want a simple design, superb camera and want all the things you can do on a smart phone WP is fine. I think the camera, simplicity and build quality of Nokia are pluses and the only negative I have experienced is lack of google apps, which I use many. Since I have both I will use both, but lack of apps to people who already have several favorite smartphone apps is a major obstacle for WP. I think WP would be more successful luring new smartphone owners as opposed to switching platforms.

In the end he will be more jealous of your camera than you will be of his 100 features he does not use...unless he uses them all...

I agree that most S4 users will not be scratching the surface when it comes to features but my brother is a bit of an IT whizz and will have no doubt researched exactly what it can do in order to get the best from it.

I do think a few things on the S4 are a little gimmicky though. The gestures and the eye scroll/sensor spring to mind. I'm sure these features can be disabled but I can't be the only person capable of watching a video or listening to music whilst being able to focus my eyes on other things that need doing?!

Manny C

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Well one thing: most of your phones memory isn't taken up by irremovable software you won't use and features that are nothing more than gimmicks.
:p

paramsingh

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 925 whilst my brother owns S4, and just like your brother my sibling also shows off with his gimmicks and specs. You can ignore your brother or list faults in S4, I usually say...
- 925's 8meg is better than his 13meg camera
- Mine is not made from cheap plastic
- It doesn't have a static array of app logos, We have live tiles
- We have halo and office suite
- Our phones don't lag despite having a quarter of processors available to S4
- We may not have as much as apps as android but we are catching up

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Beside clearblack screen I am not sure there is anything else, perhaps sunspider performance.. Actually the security issue is not entirely bad on Android, since you doesn't by default gets access to system files - but since the system is way more flexible there is some issues mainly from non google play apps.
Also , on wp8 a few companies can see the code and security flaws, on android there is many more to fix this.

I was an android user for many years (had the s3 last, with custom rom and kernel) , but company policy it is wp8 I had to use. I must admit, android does a lot of things way better than wp8, and I am not sure there is everything wp8 do that android doesn't, but there is a ton of stuff when using wp8 I miss from my android.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Whilst the security issue may not be so bad on unrooted devices, my brother certainly roots his (probably in more ways than one when you consider Australian slang :) It is definitely worth noting but at the same time, I can't wait for WP8 to be hackable.

Double edged sword.

Can I compare sunspider results between the devices anywhere please?

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is carrying microsoft on apps. Microsoft needs to start cranking out Quality apps a la google. That would really help WP. I still have not been able to get the you tube app from MSFT to work....

UPDATE: I see google is apparently blocking the you tube app. I guess I will go in browser.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is carrying microsoft on apps. Microsoft needs to start cranking out Quality apps a la google. That would really help WP. I still have not been able to get the you tube app from MSFT to work....

UPDATE: I see google is apparently blocking the you tube app. I guess I will go in browser.

Google are being utter dickwads and it amazes me that they can get away with it. Especially when you consider browser vendors including Google forced MS to include browser options into Windows at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars in fines.

I sincerely hope that a resolution is found between Google and MS but I won't hold my breath.

There are decent enough alternatives which seem to repeatedly **** on Google's t&c's but they're free to thrive.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Google are being utter dickwads and it amazes me that they can get away with it. Especially when you consider browser vendors including Google forced MS to include browser options into Windows at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars in fines.

I sincerely hope that a resolution is found between Google and MS but I won't hold my breath.

There are decent enough alternatives which seem to repeatedly **** on Google's t&c's but they're free to thrive.

Agreed. GOOG sure does make the apps for iOS though. I have most of the GOOG apps my ipad and iphone. Not sure why unless they really feel like WP is a threat. Why do they care, they give android away for free, they should want google apps on every platform. Anyways, MSFT needs to step it up now that they have acquired Nokia and get this right. They have a chance to get WP going after blowing it in the early 2000's. WP represents a large growth opportunity. The Nokia 1020 has a lot of other platforms looking at WP now, as it should. The promise of quality apps will bring them to check it out. Luckily, the 1020 is good enough to keep even if we do not abandon our other platforms...yet.

I had to go to three att stores to get my screen protector because they said the 1020 moving, at least in Dallas on the iphone 5S launch day no less :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Simple things in wp8 is what I believe makes it great:

. Dedicated shutter button
. Built in music recognition(+for quick access via option to allow search from lock screen)
. Built in Bing Vision (+ quick access like above)
.Local Scout (better with changes ms made)
. Lenses
. Highly customizable informational interface (tile sizes which changes design and informational content)
. The flow and the way you use Wp8 having a cohesive and non jarring design.
.You can literally turn your phone into a Skype phone, Facebook phone, Twitter phone, etc. due to the start screen and lock screen features/options and OS integrations
. Themes (having every app feel truly integrated and not like an extension.
.Option to set different camera app.
. Xbox (chat, multiplayer, ability to earn more player points for discounts on games)
.Built in Office (use office to keep time cards, sessions and progress of projects, gas usage calculations. These and more can replace some apps.)

All of these are just a few I wanted to mention. There is alot of neat things that takes the cake for me.

Even tho android can match most if not all of those I listed, wp8 design and simplistic usability makes a huge difference.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, WP is the only OS that says goodbye to you while shutting down.

No shut down animation, just the word "goodbye". Ah, designed with you in mind.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The sibling rivalry brought me to another question...

What new features can 1020 users look forward to being added to the phone in the future? I'm aware that some specifics may be difficult to list as certainties as MS and Nokia will be keeping things under wrap as they work on them but I'm referring to things such as USB-OTG which is supported by the CPU and would be a most welcome addition to WP.

Are there any other features that could potentially be enabled on the phone with future updates?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
My brother has been extolling the (many) virtues of his beloved S4 and trying his best to ridicule my preference of wanting the 1020.

Besides the camera, is there anything I can use to counter his argument?

On paper, the S4 is surely the better device based on specs and features but can anything raise the profile of the 1020?

My first thoughts are security. WP8 is tightly locked down compared to the openness of Android and less susceptible to infections and malicious code.

My second thoughts are the camera....hmmm already mentioned this.

Anything else?

Use them both for a week and explore the available apps.

Don't listen to the market speak from either side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)