Excessive distortion in photos

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice that the 1020 seem to have excessive distortion starting about 2/3 from the center? I?m using my 1020 as a point and shoot replacement and it is great for anything but people. I think the live view we see on the screen when camera is on (regardless what app Pro Cam/ProShot/WP default) already has some extreme barrel correction applied to it. If my subject is about 2/3 from the center their faces start to stretch and distort like they have been pulled towards the edge of the view finder. Single person is fine but when you get 3 people in a shot, the center person would be fine but the left and right will have stretched faces. Coming from a 920, I find the distortion to be worse than the 920.
In some extreme cases of building shots, instead of having straight lines or slight rounding lines, the lines actually cave in.
The only thing I can think of is to ?undo? the correction in lightroom, but I don?t see a lens profile for the 1020 yet. Anyone else noticing this and any thoughts or advise?

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've found this too, hoping people can answer. If it's just a trade off of having a wide lens then fine, but I'd certainly like to make sure nothing is wrong with my device. I would post up samples, but I don't think my friends would take to kindly to having there pictures posted on the internet

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
There are times to use the wide lens. I really think that taking close shots is not one of them.
Use a regular lens for this.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Many of my photos are similar to your example. Did quite a bit of reading on wide angle lens and it appears to be a wide angle lens issue rather than a device issue. The lens on the 1020 is slightly wider than the 920 hence it may be more noticeable. I'm taking more care framing my shots these days to minimize this distortion. I wish they stop putting ultra wide lens in these devices!

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Many of my photos are similar to your example. Did quite a bit of reading on wide angle lens and it appears to be a wide angle lens issue rather than a device issue. The lens on the 1020 is slightly wider than the 920 hence it may be more noticeable. I'm taking more care framing my shots these days to minimize this distortion. I wish they stop putting ultra wide lens in these devices!

Yep thats what I've read too, I just wanted to make sure it was common across all 1020's. I don't mind it, and wide lenses bring a lot of benefit, however it would be nice if there was a mode or setting which could help reduce this.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
As an amateur photographer I can confirm that any wide-angle lens is going to suffer fromm distortion -pincusion/barrel. Its one of those physical limits of optics. The ~28mm focal length of phone cameras doesnt help then in this regard.

But you have a choice if you are in good light. Shoot in the 38 mp mode and then crop for higher 'effective' focal length - this mitigates the distortion to some extent.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry so late getting back.. Did some experimenting and have come to the conclusion; your phone and lens(s) are normal. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)