Deleting Highres photos only, keeping the sharing version on the phone.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As my 1020 fills up with more and more photos, I want to delete high ed versions of many of them while keeping the sharing version on my phone.

Is there a way to do this in the phone? Is there a more elegant way than having to go one by one or indiscriminately through searching "highres" on my computer? The syncing apps don't seem to support this very well and what compounds the problem is that there are no previews available in windows explorer to see what each high res picture is without opening them one by one.

Any help you could offer would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If using the Nokia Pro-Cam App,

Tap the three white dots in the corner, then select Settings. Within Settings, under Capture Mode, selet "JPEG (5MP)" only. This will only save the smaller photos, and not the Hi-Res ones.
Not sure what other apps allows you to do this.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If using the Nokia Pro-Cam App,

Tap the three white dots in the corner, then select Settings. Within Settings, under Capture Mode, selet "JPEG (5MP)" only. This will only save the smaller photos, and not the Hi-Res ones.
Not sure what other apps allows you to do this.
Thanks for the response. From my understanding, that's just the capture though. I want to take 41mp pictures, but I don't want to keep them on my phone afterwards.
If I press delete on the phone, it'll delete both versions when I actually want to keep the 5mp version on the phone. When I want to do this, I'll have already most likely uploaded all my pictures (including the highres)onto my computer or SkyDrive.

The problem is, it's hard to do if I have lots of pictures taken. Even on a computer because the pictures are not separated into different folders, and they cannot be previewed in the explorer window like for the smaller pictures so if I sort them by highres, they are hard to tell apart...

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. From my understanding, that's just the capture though. I want to take 41mp pictures, but I don't want to keep them on my phone afterwards.
If I press delete on the phone, it'll delete both versions when I actually want to keep the 5mp version on the phone. When I want to do this, I'll have already most likely uploaded all my pictures (including the highres)onto my computer or SkyDrive.

The problem is, it's hard to do if I have lots of pictures taken. Even on a computer because the pictures are not separated into different folders, and they cannot be previewed in the explorer window like for the smaller pictures so if I sort them by highres, they are hard to tell apart...

When you are viewing your photos through a PC, select to view them by Size (Right Click on blank area, sort-by, then size)
Now, all of the larger photos will be separated with the small ones. Due note that your videos will be among your large pictures, so be careful not to delete those. That's how I do it.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I tried that too, but I don't seem to be able to preview my pictures easily when I scroll through them. So, I kind of have to have two windows open to compare the numbers... I still have to go 1 buy 1 if I don't want to do it indiscriminately.

Hopefully that makes sense.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I tried that too, but I don't seem to be able to preview my pictures easily when I scroll through them. So, I kind of have to have two windows open to compare the numbers... I still have to go 1 buy 1 if I don't want to do it indiscriminately.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Yeah, the Highres photos don't get a preview thumbnail. What I do is select all of the Highres ones and copy them to my PC. You can preview them there. Or copy over a set and preview them. Then, delete the copies you don't want to keep.

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Search the Camera Roll folder (on the top right) for "*_highres.jpg"

This will return all JPG files with "_highres" in the name.
Can then hit CTRL + A and then Delete.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Search the Camera Roll folder (on the top right) for "*_highres.jpg"

This will return all JPG files with "_highres" in the name.
Can then hit CTRL + A and then Delete.

Thanks for the response. However, that's not my issue. That solution just deletes all of them. I don't want to delete all of them. I have a lot of photos and I want to pick and choose which ones to keep as high res on my phone as well.

Since I can't preview them well on my computer or delete them on my phone, it's not very convenient to do so.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. However, that's not my issue. That solution just deletes all of them. I don't want to delete all of them. I have a lot of photos and I want to pick and choose which ones to keep as high res on my phone as well.

Since I can't preview them well on my computer or delete them on my phone, it's not very convenient to do so.
Images can be previewed once they are on your PC, but not so when they are still on your phone.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Right. So, perhaps it'll be a good idea to delete all the photos on my phone, then move an updated folder from my computer back on it?

sbattagl

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to use the method described here to get to the folder containing your phone's pictures from your computer. Once there, you can search for the wildcard *_highres.jpg to just get the high res pics in a search results windows without videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3