As many are in waiting state, The Lumia 1020 finally comes to the Philippines with Camera Grip

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Php35,650..hmm..sounds just right as in the US it is 700USD off-contract, direct convert it to PHP by multiplying it to 50(all government taxes and charges included).

For a mid class Filipino citizen it is still high. I may upgrade to it by December(price drop) or wait for Global version of alleged 929/1520(new chip). I am still enjoying my 720 with Pro Cam.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting for it to be released here in the Philippines too. But I probably won't be getting it right away, especially since I just purchased a 925 not too long ago. Deal breaker for me is the lack of carrier support at launch. My Lumia 925 is having problems connecting through LTE (prepaid) so now I think it's probably crucial to get the 1020 under a carrier plan just to make sure everything runs smoothly. Also, there's the upcoming Nokia World and the rumored 1520 (which I also like a lot). But I am still really keen on getting the 1020 later on, probably after Nokia World, or once carrier plans are announced...

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What kind of problems do you have regarding your 925 and lte? Mine's ok

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey Multo,

(Am I correct in assuming you're from the Philippines?)

Which network are you with? I am currently using a Smart Prepaid LTE SIM. With the 925, I usually average just around 5Mbps DL even when I'm right smack in the middle of an LTE coverage area - like the UP Diliman LTE areas for instance. Just to test it out I even went to several areas listed under Smart's LTE coverage list (Ortigas, Araneta Center, UP, etc) and still no observed improvement.

I've just switched that SIM over to my 1020, but it's just my second day using it so I haven't really observed if I'd get better connectivity with it. Any advice?

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey Multo,

(Am I correct in assuming you're from the Philippines?)

Which network are you with? I am currently using a Smart Prepaid LTE SIM. With the 925, I usually average just around 5Mbps DL even when I'm right smack in the middle of an LTE coverage area - like the UP Diliman LTE areas for instance. Just to test it out I even went to several areas listed under Smart's LTE coverage list (Ortigas, Araneta Center, UP, etc) and still no observed improvement.

I've just switched that SIM over to my 1020, but it's just my second day using it so I haven't really observed if I'd get better connectivity with it. Any advice?

That's weird. I average 15Mbps on my 925. Highest i've gone was 29Mbps and lowest lte i got was in the 5Mbps range but that would be dependent on the area. I always get double digits in download speed in the areas I go to. I'm on Smart postpaid but that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps it's really just the areas you go to or maybe the network was doing some enhancement during the times you checked the speed.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Php35,650..hmm..sounds just right as in the US it is 700USD off-contract, direct convert it to PHP by multiplying it to 50(all government taxes and charges included).

For a mid class Filipino citizen it is still high. I may upgrade to it by December(price drop) or wait for Global version of alleged 929/1520(new chip). I am still enjoying my 720 with Pro Cam.

Wow, its US$775 here with some wired headset officially.
But you can get it around $685 with no free accessories :(

manilabeans

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
That's weird. I average 15Mbps on my 925. Highest i've gone was 29Mbps and lowest lte i got was in the 5Mbps range but that would be dependent on the area. I always get double digits in download speed in the areas I go to. I'm on Smart postpaid but that shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps it's really just the areas you go to or maybe the network was doing some enhancement during the times you checked the speed.

Thanks. At least now I have a basis for comparison. Smart Customer care haven't been helpful. They asked me for all sorts of details and SpeedTest screenshots but they never reply. Just curious, do you recall where you usually get the 29Mbps? How about your 15Mbps average, which area? Thanks again. (This is me KnightOfAnfala BTW. I can only use the other account when I'm at work :D)

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. At least now I have a basis for comparison. Smart Customer care haven't been helpful. They asked me for all sorts of details and SpeedTest screenshots but they never reply. Just curious, do you recall where you usually get the 29Mbps? How about your 15Mbps average, which area? Thanks again.

I got 29 in an area in Rockwell, Makati. Over at the fort I get about 12-14, but not in one corner of Serendra where even 3g is bad. I get 15 in Manila near Sta Mesa as well as portions of trinoma and SM North. Parts of glorietta as well, others I forgot as I don't normally test speeds when I go to different places. Those are the ones I recall

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I got 29 in an area in Rockwell, Makati. Over at the fort I get about 12-14, but not in one corner of Serendra where even 3g is bad. I get 15 in Manila near Sta Mesa as well as portions of trinoma and SM North. Parts of glorietta as well, others I forgot as I don't normally test speeds when I go to different places. Those are the ones I recall

Prepaid sims have capped speeds..so if anyone want to go beyond what you got from prepaid apply for a postpaid plan.
My colleague here at Ortigas says with Globe LTE it can jump over 40mpbs with his iPhone..I am having a double thought now as I am planning to get the next high end Lumia on a Postpaid plan..Globe or SMART..

manilabeans

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Cool. That gives me hope. Maybe LTE is just problematic in the areas I frequent. Last question: How about non LTE? I could barely browse, or even just post on facebook when I'm out of LTE coverage.

manilabeans

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Prepaid sims have capped speeds..so if anyone want to go beyond what you got from prepaid apply for a postpaid plan.
My colleague here at Ortigas says with Globe LTE it can jump over 40mpbs with his iPhone..I am having a double thought now as I am planning to get the next high end Lumia on a Postpaid plan..Globe or SMART..

In the case of Smart, it's the other way around. Their prepaid LTE subscriptions currently have no cap, while the postpaid ones have ridiculously low caps. That's why I'm suspecting it might be at the cost of reliability. I've always been with Globe actually, but just decided to try out Smart's LTE network two months ago...

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I haven't tried prepaid so I wouldn't know the limitations, sorry

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Smart 3G has serious consistency issues. Here at the office near PBCom, I got 0.20Mbps, last Tuesday near Volvo Pasong Tamo I got 5.9Mbps.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Cool. That gives me hope. Maybe LTE is just problematic in the areas I frequent. Last question: How about non LTE? I could barely browse, or even just post on facebook when I'm out of LTE coverage.

When I'm in a non lte area, I usually get h or h+ which is sufficient for my needs. I check email, rss, browse and do social media sites as well on my phone and it has been decent. Even when I still had this sim in an android it was good.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
when my Lumia 720 is with H(HSDPA only not H+) it is not fetching data..how was the case on your 1020's?...Every time I pass Tandang Sora-Commonwealth or EDSA White plains HSPA is spotty..I'm using Globe prepaid though

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
when my Lumia 720 is with H(HSDPA only not H+) it is not fetching data..how was the case on your 1020's?...Every time I pass Tandang Sora-Commonwealth or EDSA White plains HSPA is spotty..I'm using Globe prepaid though

Same on Smart Prepaid LTE subscription. On my 925 and 1020 I could only use data when I have 4G signal. It's not as fast as I would like, but it's still more than sufficient for my browsing needs (which tend to be on the data heavy side). When signal drops to H/H+, I could barely even load the main screen of the FB app. I don't like signing up for plans but because of this bad experience with LTE I am now seriously considering signing up with either Globe or Smart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon