Is there a way to buy this phone factory unlocked in the US ?

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi again !

I just went in the Microsoft Store in NYC and then this guy said that even when you buy it with the full 610$ price, you still have to call at&t to give you an unlock code or something.

I don't trust him to be honest since when I asked him about the 64gb version he said that he didn't even know one exists.

Long story short I want to buy a Lumia 1020 with which I can get updates from Microsoft on day 1, just like with Apple.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you mean "unbranded". An ATT branded phone that is unlocked will still require ATT firmware, I believe. Unlocked has to do with service not firmware.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone.

The prices are however outrageous. I mean seriously, I love the 1020 as much as you guys but 800$ for a Windows Phone ?! I mean, you can almost get a 64gb 5S straight from Apple with that money. I don't know what they were thinking..

So even the Microsoft Stores are selling AT&T phones ? I still don't understand how this works ?
If it has at&t firmware you still have wait for the update to be distributed by at&t ?
The TRUE factory unlocked phones are only at that 800$ price ?
What about the warranty ?
The thing is I will be going back to Europe. The warranty is international ?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't say for certain phones from the Microsoft store are still branded, but if you want a phone that has updates right from Microsoft/Nokia with no carrier involvement, you need an UNBRANDED phone. Not unlocked. They are harder to come by. But it sounds like you need an Unbranded & Unlocked phone, if your taking it to Europe.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
To use it in Europe I need only unlocked.
How long are the AT&T's updates until they start rolling ? If it's only 2 weeks- 1 months I'll just buy one I think.
I'd rather keep 300-400$ in my pocket and wait 1 month...
Wow, I simply cannot believe how much they are asking for it. Especially since it's a 920 with 1 extra GB of ram and a better camera.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is probably the worst of all major carriers to push updates. I have learned to prepare I may never see an update when I buy AT&T phones. They never even updated the original HTC Titan to 7.8. Not even a single firmware update. If updates are important, I'd stay away from AT&T if possible. I'm not really sure any retail or web stores who sell unbranded 1020's, but you will pay near full price for it. You could try eBay, just make sure you research before you buy. Check feedback/reviews.

It is unfortunate they (AT&T) get so many exclusive deals for the flagship devices.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow such sad news.. So even when it is unlocked you are still using an AT&T branded phone ? I mean you still won't be able to get updates from Microsoft ?
What a downer.. I really REALLY want to buy this phone and they are leaving me no choice.

No way I am paying >650$ on this phone.
I'd rather get a 5S for that price. And trust me, I'm tired of iPhones.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Buy an att locked Lumia 1020 in Microsoft store. Then buy unlock code on eBay if att customer service gives you hard time.

So this will make my 1020 act like an OEM unlocked phone ?
As far as I can understand, it seems that the OEM and AT&T phones have different firmware and that is actually what makes the phone different.
I doubt an unlocked code can do more than allowing different carrier SIM cards in your phone.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So this will make my 1020 act like an OEM unlocked phone ?
As far as I can understand, it seems that the OEM and AT&T phones have different firmware and that is actually what makes the phone different.
I doubt an unlocked code can do more than allowing different carrier SIM cards in your phone.

What different features/specs are you looking for?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)