Speech Recognition Issues with the Nokia 1020

WirelessBadger

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the new 1020 (Awesome) for three days now. The only issue is there seems to be no voice recognition at all on the device. When I press and hold the Windows key, it goes in to the "Listening" mode, but does not hear or recognize anything I say. I've tried all the settings I can find on it, and everything seems to be in order.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences with this?

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
seems fine to me.

I didn't realise that you can hold the window key down to perform a speech action, so thanks for that tip!

I guess you have already meddled with the setting > speech settings?

Chantal MH

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The other day i had charged my Nokia Lumia 1020 and it was fully charged, and hour later it froze up on me. At the time i didnt know what had happened so i just put it back on the charger because i thought it had died. Then the next day it still wouldnt work, so i went to the Phone store and they told me whenever this happens just do a fast restart on my phone. They restarted my phone for me and after that my voice recognition doesnt work at all. I have been looking for answers to this problem and no one seem to have a solution.

Is there anyway to fix this voice recognition error???? I use VR all the time when i text and call, so not being able to use this feature is a big problem for me. :unhappy:

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesn't work either. When I hold down the start button, I get a message that says, "Speech is off until your new language pack has been installed. You can check the progress in Speech settings." In settings I have "Enable speech recognition service," selected. But still no workie. My friends 920 works fine.

Strange, because I remember using speech recognition on the phones browser, but now that mic icon is gone.

Oh well, no big loss, my friend says it doesn't work very well anyway.

Steve

Maidul Hossain

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the new 1020 (Awesome) for three days now. The only issue is there seems to be no voice recognition at all on the device. When I press and hold the Windows key, it goes in to the "Listening" mode, but does not hear or recognize anything I say. I've tried all the settings I can find on it, and everything seems to be in order.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences with this?

Hi,
I am having the same issue with my 1020. I have also noticed that video recording are not picking up any audio. The microphone only works when in a call. Any solution?

danielm298

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here, but plug in your headset with the microphone and watch, it works then, voice recognition
And video recording, also when a call comes in put them on speaker and they can't hear you, take them off speaker and wala!! But
The microphone does work in normal calls.... for sure its a software bug, somewhere the 1020 only recognizes the mike with the headset plug in

CommandZer01

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my Lumia 1020 on thursday and noticed that the speech recognition does not work for me when I hold the windows key to say an action. I also have noticed that when it does recognize something, its completely not what I say. For example when my roommates and I were passing my phone around and saying "search pizza" for example it would say "searching for triangles" like totally something that doesn't make a lick of sense. I use to have the 920, and that one worked perfectly fine, I could mumble and it would understand what I say perfectly.

Also when I went back to AT&T and the rep there pulled out his 1020 and said "dude its a problem with all of them" and showed me on 3 demo devices that they are all the same. I hope nokia is aware of this issue.

Spider-Mic

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello, had the same issue and recognised that in video recording only the right canal had sound. The upper microphone was without function and after changed it everthing work as expected. Maybe Nokia has an qualitiy issue with the microphone/headset jack modul.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah something is wrong with the top microphone. I had to replace my old one due to this same issue. I don't know if it's a hardware issue or a software one, but it's pretty dang annoying.

CommandZer01

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
yeah I don't know if its either software or hardware, I am trading my stuff in later today for another 1020, but if the problem is the same, then its software...but lets hope it doesn't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss