Convince me to try with another 1020, please

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Convince yourself, nobody cares what phone you use.

such an arschloch :p
/
Just exchange it again! I have to say, that I was really worried when I decided to buy L820. I've been reading whole days about problems with this smartphone, but even so, I went to pay off cash and visited store to buy one.

and... I'm happily using it since March :p I haven't experienced ANY of issues described all around the forums... My Hardware version is 1.0.0.0 (yup, that's the first, faulty batch of 820's, apart from 4263672 other failures - mostly know from calling quality issues, caused by built-in microphones)

So it's really hit or miss, remember:

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. ;)

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you made of electrostatic? How else would you get so many faulty devices :p
I feel you, but you had to change your L820 once and that turned out good right? I had way more issues with my L920 then your phone history but I'm still here. I'm actually getting the L1020 as a compensation for all the troubles I gone through so now you can't go around saying it doesn't work because then I will n turn become very unhappy :)
We need a Apple Jedi Mindtrick. "-This drones are not what your looking for, and your WP is working perfect." ;-)

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow ! you have some bad luck with phones ! Had Desire HD to galaxy s3 to iphone 5 to 1020 and not a single problems ! I would definitely give 1020 another try.....and another.......and another......and until its working beautifully ! Got the yellow beast and love it !
The feeling of the case, the pure sexyness of the phone , the curves :love:
did i forget to mention the camera ? yes camera....41 MP i jaw dropped a few people already, and again looks , i mean I'm starring at the front of my 1020 now and one word .....daaaauuummmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn, never fails to catch eyes :wink:

Okay...... i need to be alone with my phone now :grin:

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
So, what I want from you is to convince me to try again with another 1020 ;-)
I wouldn't advise you to give the 1020 another try, greynightshirt, at least not yet.

For sure the 1020's most important feature is its camera, but:

• This camera has some severe deficiencies that can't be influenced by the software (i.e. oversaturation)
  • This camera is worse than the Nokia 808 camera, and with its incorrect colours even worse than the Nokia N8
  • Videos recorded in quiet enviroments suffer from static noise, produced by the camera optics, which is absolutely annoying for someone recording (legally) musical events.
In addition to that, a non-removable battery and software stability issues (you experienced some of these problems already).

Here are two German reviews that aren't listed in Muessig's All About the Lumia 1020 thread, but they might be worth reading in order to make your decision pro or contra the Lumia 1020:

I do regret having sold my Nokia N8 in favour of the 1020: Now I have a phone with a worse camera, more software bugs and less user-friendliness.

Unfortunately, MS/Nokia took both the N8 and the 808 off the market in the meantime.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
  • This camera has some severe deficiencies that can't be influenced by the software (i.e. oversaturation)
  • This camera is worse than the Nokia 808 camera, and with its incorrect colours even worse than the Nokia N8
In addition to that, a non-removable battery and software stability issues (you experienced some of these problems already).

Saturation can be fixed in post. Digital noise can't be fixed. Of course, it's better to excel in both. But if I had to pick, it's easy to pick one with low noise. And in the case of 1020 it's almost no noise even for large print. I tend to adjust my colors in post anyways, just for fun. I'm not a fan of "correct" colors. Playing with the composition of warm vs cool is more fun. You know, the image that I saw, or I think I saw, versus what the sensor saw. In any case, low noise outweighs any and all color issues that can be adjusted later. It's not purple fringing or that infamous Leica's UV purple issue. If you hate doing post and think the color is off, then, just do batch correct, and you can correct hundreds of photos to what you think should be, all at the same time with just one click.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had a 1020 for two weeks (64GB o2 Version from Germany), had quite a few problems with it and had to return it. I'm back to my 820, while it works flawlessly and I love the little thing to bits, after using the 1020 for a while I just feel like something is missing.

So, what I want from you is to convince me to try again with another 1020 ;-) I know this is probably stupid but I've been a bit burned with electronic purchases the past two years.

- Bought a Galaxy Note in early 2012, had to exchange it (headphone jack not working properly)
- Bought a Lumia 820 first in December 2012, had to exchange it (graphic issues, battery issues, turning off and restarting itself issues, as far as I remember)
- Bought a Acer W510 Windows tablet, also had to exchange it for another one (too many problems to count with my first one)
- Just bought the Lumia 1020 and had to return it (battery issues, touch screen problems, touch button problems, freezing & restarting itself problems)
(- I feel I should mention that I bought an iPhone 3Gs in the middle of these problems which didn't have any issues whatsoever. Don't want to go back to iPhone though, especially not now with iOS 7. I love WP.)

So, I'm weary. Really, really weary. I'd love to try again with another 1020 but what if I get another faulty one. Do I exchange again? And again? I'm just so tired of this. I just want a functioning phone :unhappy:

Please help. I really want the 1020.

Just wanted to inform you that,
People have changed as many as 8 devices (L920). Don't feel guilty, its not your fault that you received a lemon, since you paid the full price for the device you have the right to have it exchanged if it has a manufacturing fault.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You could always wait for the 1520 that's coming out soon. That thing is a beast!

That thing is also not a phone, but a phablet.
There's a difference between carrying a 4.5 incher phone and a 6 incher beast.
He'd probably have to change his whole wardrobe depending on where he keeps his phone (Shirt or trouser pocket)

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't advise you to give the 1020 another try, greynightshirt, at least not yet.

For sure the 1020's most important feature is its camera, but:

• Videos recorded in quiet enviroments suffer from static noise, produced by the camera optics, which is absolutely annoying for someone recording (legally) musical events.

Here are two German reviews that aren't listed in Muessig's All About the Lumia 1020 thread, but they might be worth reading in order to make your decision pro or contra the Lumia 1020:

I do regret having sold my Nokia N8 in favour of the 1020: Now I have a phone with a worse camera, more software bugs and less user-friendliness.

Unfortunately, MS/Nokia took both the N8 and the 808 off the market in the meantime.

I'm really baffled by your comments. I happened to own the N8, 808 AND the 1020. The 1020 beats both of them hands down. I was never impressed by the N8 - too soft and fuzzy. The 808 rectified that, and the 1020 tops it up with even sharper images and especially in lowlight conditions.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Convince yourself, nobody cares what phone you use.

Put another way (sugar-coated). Don't rely anyone else to make decisions for you. Or convince you into a decision. You will simply be dissappointed in the long run.

Put another way, the civilized way, the intelligent way, the way we will do things here at WPC.

Make a post seek advice, get informed and then make an informed decision based on your own needs. The input of others can truly help make these types of decisions.

To those I have quoted here. Remember think before you post, if your not contributing in a positive way don't hit that post button.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
- Bought a Lumia 820 first in December 2012, had to exchange it (graphic issues, battery issues, turning off and restarting itself issues, as far as I remember)
- Bought a Acer W510 Windows tablet, also had to exchange it for another one (too many problems to count with my first one)
- Just bought the Lumia 1020 and had to return it (battery issues, touch screen problems, touch button problems, freezing & restarting itself problems)

I had to exchange my L920 because of it doing the freezing/restarting thing. Once I exchanged it, all of the other problems--unresponsive touchscreen, inconsistent battery life, vibrations sounding like the device was about to give up the ghost--went away as well. From dealing with my 920 and reading about other people's issues with Nokia's phones, it seems like the vast majority of their units are Alphas and the rest Epsilons--no middle ground. Chances are good that if you exchange your unit, your next one will likely be an Alpha. It's unfortunate that it has to be this way, but in the brave new world of smartphones, ending really is better than mending.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had a 1020 for two weeks (64GB o2 Version from Germany), had quite a few problems with it and had to return it. I'm back to my 820, while it works flawlessly and I love the little thing to bits, after using the 1020 for a while I just feel like something is missing.

So, what I want from you is to convince me to try again with another 1020 ;-) I know this is probably stupid but I've been a bit burned with electronic purchases the past two years.

- Bought a Galaxy Note in early 2012, had to exchange it (headphone jack not working properly)
(- I feel I should mention that I bought an iPhone 3Gs in the middle of these problems which didn't have any issues whatsoever. Don't want to go back to iPhone though, especially not now with iOS 7. I love WP.)

So, I'm weary. Really, really weary. I'd love to try again with another 1020 but what if I get another faulty one. Do I exchange again? And again? I'm just so tired of this. I just want a functioning phone :unhappy:

Please help. I really want the 1020.

if I were you, is use my warranty to the max, I wouldn't care if they give me a new phone every 2 weeks for a year...eventually I would get one that works properly.

on an unrelated note...what possibly could you be doing to your devices to have such a high dud rate ? are you leaving them next to magnets ? are you swimming with them in your pocket ? are you dual booting (running two os's) them ?

but nevertheless. who cares if it does not work, you have a warranty...use it...make consumers proud!

and remember...sticks and stones can break your phone but warrantys will never hurt you.

exchange/repair the phone a million times using your warranty if you have to but when you get a 1020 that is solid and consistently reliable...you will have your reward and all the persuasion you need :smile:

Last edited:

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Saturation can be fixed in post. [...]
One main criterion for a good camera is color neutrality. Lumia 1020 photos are known for sometimes being tinted and on the whole they have a tendency to be oversaturated and oversharpened. Whether or not someone likes this is a matter of taste. But the possibility of a later correction via postprocessing does not make a failing camera better or its inadequateness less worse. I think you will agree.

The 1020 camera software is at an early stage though; I hope that Nokia will add the ability to take photographs with more natural colors in future updates, so both of us would be pleased.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
One main criterion for a good camera is color neutrality. Lumia 1020 photos are known for sometimes being tinted and on the whole they have a tendency to be oversaturated and oversharpened. Whether or not someone likes this is a matter of taste. But the possibility of a later correction via postprocessing does not make a failing camera better or its inadequateness less worse. I think you will agree.

The 1020 camera software is at an early stage though; I hope that Nokia will add the ability to take photographs with more natural colors in future updates, so both of us would be pleased.

Most of the time those "natural colors" you get with smartphones like the iPhone look pale and they don't represent the colors you see with your eyes. Heck, most smartphones will show the sky in a grayish color when it's blue. The 1020 takes better pictures with colors that are closer to what you can see, but a little bit saturated as you said.

This is all in the software and has nothing to do with how the camera performs.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm really baffled by your comments. I happened to own the N8, 808 AND the 1020. The 1020 beats both of them hands down. I was never impressed by the N8 - too soft and fuzzy. The 808 rectified that, and the 1020 tops it up with even sharper images and especially in lowlight conditions.
What I mean becomes obvious here:

But perhaps you will find the following statements more conciliatory (and maybe they will also be helpful for greynightshirt's decision-making):

By the way, greynightshirt's concern here makes perfectly sense for me: although I didn't return my 1020, I think my feelings are probably similar to hers: first of all having been in anticipation of the Lumia's delivery, then having been delighted by all that new wonderful functionality. Then however disappointment (buggy software, dissatisfaction with photo quality and more) followed. But despite all my disappointment and frustation: I can't get this little yellow gadget out of my head. And so my mind is looking for arguments suitable for justifying my heart's decision to not return the 1020...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05