Music Management questions (playlists, controls, headphones, etc.)

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Got my 1020 over the weekend and so far am loving it... but I have questions re: managing my music. I use my phone a LOT for music (running, at work, in the car), and so far this is the only feature I'm struggling with compared to my old iPhone. Can people tell me how they're succesfully managing the following?:

Playlists: I downloaded the Windows Phone Desktop App which lets you pretty quickly sync the 1020's music using my old iTunes playlists. That's great, but the app doesn't seem to be able to do ANYTHING on its own with the lists - I can't make new ones there, delete lists, etc. - everything has to be done in iTunes, then "ported" over to the 1020 via the Desktop App. That works fine, but it seems weird that I have to build/maintain everything in Apple's app, then transfer to a different app to get on my phone . Does anyone use a different, Windows or Nokia-native app that lets you playlist etc. by transferring the old iTunes list to that app, then allowing future new lists from THAT?

Play controls: Is there any way to do Next/Previous Track WITHOUT having to wake the screen and use the on-screen controls? I run with my phone strapped to my arm, so it would be nice to be able to use one of the phone buttons to manipulate song playback.

Headphones w/controls & mic: In that same vein, does anyone know a good set of headphones with controls and mic? BONUS: Even better, does anyone know of an ADAPTER that will allow me to use my current iPhone-specific 'phones with the Lumina? I have a set of Beats and a few other sets that I'd prefer to keep using (for playback control and for mic) if possible.

Quiet: Is it just me, or is the playback, even at full volume, very quiet? When running/cycling, even with earbuds, I find myself sometimes wanting a bit more oomph in my tunes.

Thanks a million in advance for any assistance!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately this is one of the weakest points of Windows Phone right now.

Making and managing playlists is possible, but the process is not well thought-out at all. In order to make a playlist you need to add the music you want to Now Playing, and then on the Now Playing screen bring up the "..." menu and hit the 'save as playlist' option.

There is no other way to modify playlists without plugging into a PC, and honestly I have to recommend that you just do this on a PC to begin with. It's inconvenient and you shoudn't have to, but that is just by far the best option right now.

There are headphones with playback controls available for Windows Phone, although the pair I own only works with Windows Phone, so I'm not sure if you'll have any luck with finding an adapter. A bluetooth headset is likely to work, but that's about all I can think of. It's probably worth researching on your own though.

My Lumia 1020 is plenty loud, so I'm not sure what's up there. Then again, I generally prefer my music quieter than most, especially if I'm wearing headphones.

I wish I could point you to a better music player than Xbox Music (it's frustrating, hopefully they improve that app in the near future as has been done in full Windows), but I don't know of any. Maybe one exists, but I'm not aware of it.

This is a big part of why I've been using a lot of internet radio services on my phone. Much less hassle.

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all that - I'll check out the Bluetooth phones, I like the idea of "cutting the cords". I've seen several BT ones that look interesting, but don't know much about how they control the phone.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree about the lack of an option regards track advancement without waking the screen, that is a pain.

And yup, even all the way up to 30 things seem a little quiet. It's loud, but a little bit more kick would be appreciated. I use mp3gain to ramp up the volume without too much clipping and while still maintaining the albums dynamics, especially on older albums, which tend to be quieter.

Last edited:

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll check out MP3gain - thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone use a set of headphones (wireless or corded) with good in-line controls that you'd recommend? The main thing I look for in corded sets is a proper, silicone-sheathed wire (otherwise I get unacceptable rustling noise when I use them on the go) and in all sets clear treble and deep bass. Buds are typically OK - I usually have big problems keeping them in, but learned a trick with Sugru to make them "custom mold" to my ears.

Thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon