Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By liin
  • 1 Post By eugarps
  • 1 Post By Nick_1020
  1.    #1  
    Did anyone on here see how Apple tried to steal Nokia / Microsoft's National Geographic marketing campaign: iPhone 5S' camera praised by National Geographic photog | Apple - CNET News and how Nokia reacted: https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/387635443207909376 and https://twitter.com/NokiaUS/status/387757675368284160 - I think that's first class reactive marketing, particularly Nokia US sending him a phone!

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhan Reehman View Post
    Did anyone on here see how Apple tried to steal Nokia / Microsoft's National Geographic marketing campaign: iPhone 5S' camera praised by National Geographic photog | Apple - CNET News and how Nokia reacted: https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/387635443207909376 and https://twitter.com/NokiaUS/status/387757675368284160 - I think that's first class reactive marketing, particularly Nokia US sending him a phone!
    Is there a natgeo campaign?

link to it ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

Ha ha ha. National Geographic must be even more desperate for cash than I thought when they first did the Nokia thing.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    thanks for the links. i guess they had to balance their site vs the infomercial, so all the information on the nokia ended up in the video ?

hmm, looks like they leaned towards the iphone again. or did i miss the comment section for the lumia ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

I really don't like Nokia to react. There's this one side of Nokia's marketing that's very silly, where they try to show they are better than competitors, but all it does it draw attention to its competitors and gave off the wrong vibe that Nokia is trying to upstage its competitors. As opposed to just Nokia being Nokia, would be above its competitors because it's Nokia. Just focus on Nokia brand.

I love my iOS, and have huge financial stake at Apple. Still, I switched to Nokia 1020 when renewing my contract instead of 5s. Not because Nokia 1020+W8 is better than 5s+iOS, but there's simply nothing like 1020 out there and it suits me well. That's Nokia. There's no reason to put in a 41 megapixel larger sensor for 7:1 downsampling for accurate rendition with Zeiss lens on OIS when competitors are using 8 megapixel small sensors. That is not competing, that, is innovating and having the guts to push their vision into a product. National Geographic was a good campaign. But comparing 1020 to Samsung, Apple, etc is not.

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Thanks for the links to a great story and some great pictures. The guy is one heck of a photographer.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by liin View Post
    ... that Nokia is trying to upstage its competitors. As opposed to just Nokia being Nokia, would be above its competitors because it's Nokia. Just focus on Nokia brand.
    If the actual buying public were all over 50 then the Nokia brand would be something they would know about -sure they are # 2 in over all sales of phones,
    but in smart phones they only have 3% of the market and the current crop of buyers know little about the Nokia Brand, and photography and a smart phone is a big part of their lives, so yes focus on the camera. The "Nokia brand" is largely ignored by the market demographic the Lumia is aimed at, the camera has given it much needed exposure.

Global Posts
    967 Global Posts
    I laugh that the iphone got stolen buy a Urasian Magpie (bird known for stealing shiny objects).

What's next, national geographic doing reviews on camera phones ? Would be awesome

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    "Once I figured out what the camera could do well I began to forget all the things it couldn’t do at all."

Snicker. I didn't hear Alvarez make that caveat. iPhone has a nice camera but it's not a Lumia 1020.

Bill
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Treo Pro, 1st Gen iPhone, Palm TX
    Popcorn-Billy likes this.

Global Posts
    896 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalemate 1 View Post
    I laugh that the iphone got stolen buy a Urasian Magpie (bird known for stealing shiny objects).

What's next, national geographic doing reviews on camera phones ? Would be awesome
    The Hubble Telescope sponsored by Apple.
    Popcorn-Billy likes this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liin View Post
    I love my iOS, and have huge financial stake at Apple. Still, I switched to Nokia 1020 when renewing my contract instead of 5s. Not because Nokia 1020+W8 is better than 5s+iOS, but there's simply nothing like 1020 out there and it suits me well. That's Nokia. There's no reason to put in a 41 megapixel larger sensor for 7:1 downsampling for accurate rendition with Zeiss lens on OIS when competitors are using 8 megapixel small sensors. That is not competing, that, is innovating and having the guts to push their vision into a product. National Geographic was a good campaign. But comparing 1020 to Samsung, Apple, etc is not.
    X2. I got a Lumia 1020 after a stint with iPhone dating back to the 1st Gen. The Lumia simply has a better camera. My problem was that I had lock ups with the Lumia. Whether it was hardware or OS related remains to be seen. I returned the Lumia and went back ti my old iPhone 4. My wife has health issues and I can't have a no-responsive phone, when we're out and about.

Trying to have a battle of the NatGeo photogs is a foolish exercise on Apple's part. The iPhone 5s' camera has some innovation with its new flash and anti-shake on a chip but it's not the point-and-shoot replacement the Lumia 1020 is.

I'll give Nokia a few weeks and try again. Like liin, I have a big investment in iOS but Apple has not given me a compelling reason to upgrade within their line.

Bill
    Ambassador

Visited the link, seems the user (commentor) "rcapprotti" is paid by someone to bash everyone trying to be honest.
    I just spanked that soul a little to teach him a lesson.

I can make a custom wallpaper for you for no cost :) just hit me up & check my wallpaper thread - here
    My Comic Book - Its about Iphone 5s and Innovation Click here

wow apple... you sucks!!!!!!!