Discharge rate

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone

I've read on this forum and other forums that some people are getting 1% or even lower idle discharge ratings. I'm trying to achieve the same but haven't been able.

Right now my phone idles at arund 3,5-5%/hour discharge rate. Sometimes higher. Nothing seems to lower it, I've tried everything.

Current settings:
Xbox music/game connection: off
3g,data: off
Wireless: on (have tried with off but doesnt lower it)
Brightness: low
glance: off
No tiles on main screen
No background apps running
email sync, set to manually on gmail account and daily on the hotmail account.
Many nokia-apps removed, including Drive+ and Music. Removed all map-apps
Touch sensitivity set to normal and double tap to wake up is off
tap+send is off

I have these apps installed: Battery. Yes, i only have 1 app installed to measure my discharge rate. I've even tried without this app and measured by myself, discharge rate is about the same.

According to many review sites standy time should be much higher and some users on forum say they can get their phone to survive 2 days. I can't.

By the way, i got the phone 1 week ago and have given the battery time to adjust. I'm aware that the battery can require some time to get normal, but should this really affect discharge rate? My battery have gotten like 7-8 full charges. I have let it die once then fully charge it again.

I have tried soft reset and factory reset. Didnt help.

Right now i tried turning on flight mode, i then got 7% discharge rate... It seems to stay at this rate. This is really frustrating.

Would appreciate help on this because it drains my battery in 1 day even when i'm not using it.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's normal if your battery discharges in 1 day even if you're not using it. I just managed to get my longest battery life time of 21hrs yesterday on my 1week old 1020. And that's with regular connectivity on LTE (checking FB, email sync), about 30 minutes of video, snapping several pictures, downloading a couple of apps, regular SMS and Viber chatting and about 20 minutes on MS Office.

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's normal if your battery discharges in 1 day even if you're not using it. I just managed to get my longest battery life time of 21hrs yesterday on my 1week old 1020. And that's with regular connectivity on LTE (checking FB, email sync), about 30 minutes of video, snapping several pictures, downloading a couple of apps, regular SMS and Viber chatting and about 20 minutes on MS Office.

Thanks for reply. Maybe i've a faulty battery then. Have you gotten a battery app installed? If so what is your average discharge rate?

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I also think you may have faulty battery but try overcharge it first for at least 3 days. The recent update for 1020 also has 'Battery tunings' update (based on info from hardware tests app).You should try to update it once it is available in your region.

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I also think you may have faulty battery but try overcharge it first for at least 3 days. The recent update for 1020 also has 'Battery tunings' update (based on info from hardware tests app).You should try to update it once it is available in your region.

I will try that update as soon as it arrives. You think i should charge it for 3 days in a row or 4-6 hours overcharge each day?

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well overcharge is actually not good but my htc8x had similar problem like you and I tried to overcharge it for 8 hrs in 3 cycles and it got better. I always charge my phone when battery % is lower than 20%...there is a thread in htc8x forum where a guy gives some guidelines to improve the battery life.

Edit:4-6 hrs is the charging method that I currently do for my HTC8X, which I found to be working well.

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Well overcharge is actually not good but my htc8x had similar problem like you and I tried to overcharge it for 8 hrs in 3 cycles and it got better. I always charge my phone when battery % is lower than 20%...there is a thread in htc8x forum where a guy gives some guidelines to improve the battery life.

Will try that then, worth a try!

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/203318-battery-tricks-tips-htc-8x.html

Here's the link

Edit: btw do you have a limited period exchange policy with your carrier/store? If u have, I think better change it with a new unit...if there is no exchange allowed (i.e. They will send it directly to nokia repair dept) then you can attempt to try my method

I was actually down in the store yesterday and complained. I have 1 more week that I can regret the buy, though it seems that i can't have it exchanged, they will send it to repair if i go that road :/ I'm overcharging it now and i hope that willl help.

May i ask, what is your discharge rate on your phone?

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Was just about to create a new thread until I saw this. I've actually been having a very similar problem with my 1020. The lowest discharge rate I can ever get to is 2.53%/hr, but that only happens when the battery is close to 100%. I've noticed that the discharge rate increases rather dramatically as the battery level goes down, all the way up to 10%+/hr, and turning off all the extra features seem to have no effect. I've kept most of the battery draining features on (eg. background apps, glance etc.) but I haven't noticed any significant difference in battery drain. Like you, I've soft and hard reset the device, to no avail. Does your device get hot? Mine has stayed cool the entire time.

A new phone update was just released, if that doesn't help battery life, I plan on taking it back for repairs or a replacement. Even at 2.53%, that discharge rate is way higher than what others seem to be getting. Many reviews stated that the 1020 can outperform the iPhone 5 in battery life, but at this rate, it doesn't even come anywhere close to it. Either way, I'm not too optimistic that the update alone can fix this, but my fingers are crossed. As of right now, I can only get 10 hours of standby time.

This bit probably wouldn't make a difference, but which variant (RM-877, RM-876, RM-875) are you using? I can't help but feel that the RM-876 might come with shorter battery life (given that it doesn't have 4G support either), but much more likely than not, the battery would be the same for all 3 variants.

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well this is my comparison between my Lumia 1020 & HTC 8X:
With my usual use (light to medium use mostly used for whatsapp and viber) within 4-5 hrs my Lumia 1020 drops to 87-90%..HTC8X drops to 76%-79%. If Idle is vary (Lumia 1020) but the WORST I see is 1% drop in 1hr. But last Sunday, I still believe the battery measurement was somewhat broken, after used for only 10secs phone call and idle afterwards, it was still 100% even after 7 hrs and 20 mins. I planned to wait until when it would drop by 1% but couldn't resist to use the camera hahaha. For my HTC8X, the worst when it is idle is 1% drop after 20-30mins.

fahadaslam2000

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I also have a very similar disappointing experience from Nokia Lumia 625, which is said to deliver 15 hours+ of talktime on 3G and somehere 500 hours of standby ( hahaha :p ). In the first week, the discharge rate was somewhere around 7-9% which now in the third week has reduced to 5%, thereby giving me somewhere a battery life of 21 hours stand by with minimal calling, chatting and average internet usage on a 3.5G network. I'm also giving my handset a little time, waiting for the battery life to improve, otherwise I'll have to rush to a Nokia Service Centre :/

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Was just about to create a new thread until I saw this. I've actually been having a very similar problem with my 1020. The lowest discharge rate I can ever get to is 2.53%/hr, but that only happens when the battery is close to 100%. I've noticed that the discharge rate increases rather dramatically as the battery level goes down, all the way up to 10%+/hr, and turning off all the extra features seem to have no effect. I've kept most of the battery draining features on (eg. background apps, glance etc.) but I haven't noticed any significant difference in battery drain. Like you, I've soft and hard reset the device, to no avail. Does your device get hot? Mine has stayed cool the entire time.

A new phone update was just released, if that doesn't help battery life, I plan on taking it back for repairs or a replacement. Even at 2.53%, that discharge rate is way higher than what others seem to be getting. Many reviews stated that the 1020 can outperform the iPhone 5 in battery life, but at this rate, it doesn't even come anywhere close to it. Either way, I'm not too optimistic that the update alone can fix this, but my fingers are crossed. As of right now, I can only get 10 hours of standby time.

This bit probably wouldn't make a difference, but which variant (RM-877, RM-876, RM-875) are you using? I can't help but feel that the RM-876 might come with shorter battery life (given that it doesn't have 4G support either), but much more likely than not, the battery would be the same for all 3 variants.

We seem to have exactly the same problem. Mine stays cool also, doesn't get warm at all. My variant is RM-875, but haven't even been able to use 4G because of the poor battery.

I am hoping aswell that the update fixes this, because this discharge rate we are having isnt acceptable at all. I actually tried flight mode and the drain increased which is kind of sad. I actually once reached 1% discharge rate but it was over night with flight mode on. And this time it increased the rate.

Something seems rather unstable on this phone, just hoping that the update fixes it. If not, I'm gonna return it

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
My Discharge-Rate is also between 4-5%, so I think it's normal. Where are the People with a <1% Discharge-Rate? :evil:

There are some threads on this forum about battery drains, there i read several people claiming their battery lasts easily 2 days and they have around 1% discharge rate on idle.

I just tried overcharging for 6 hours, nothing changed. I'm doing another factory reset right now to see if anyhting changes

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Try reset it again and don't install any app and also don't add any email and try a day with that . That's prove whether the battery is culprit or the apps.

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have 1.99% right now, after having had it on idle for about 30minutes. I average about 4% on normal usage, but I once had a warning saying that it's discharging at about 14% (while I was on intermittent LTE). Using Arthur Semenov's Battery App.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 is now also "idle" and has a 2,74% Discharge-Rate. But in the Background there are some Apps "working" from Time to Time, like "Amazing Weather".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans