Wow! Call Quality from Lumia 1020 to another Lumia 1020

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
So, as some of you may have read in the past, I reported the odd call quality issues when I got my Lumia 1020, they mostly went away on their own, however notice it from time to time. Don't notice it anymore except when getting calls from other countries.

Fast forward to today, my friend calls me...

This call was by far the CLEAREST call I've ever made from any phone (clearer then my VoIP phone system doing VoIP to VoIP). I couldn't believe the quality of this call, I asked him: "Dude, did you get a new phone"? He says "Ya, why". I tell him this is the clearest call I've ever had, I ask him what he got. "Oh dude, I got your phone, that Lumia 1020 thing with the 4000 Jiggawatt camera.

Has anyone else noticed this 1020 to 1020 calls? I'm still blown away, it was as if he was right beside me talking... No lisp, no fuzz, just clear and crisp!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that it's a clearer quality because it was AT&T to AT&T as opposed to another carrier. Not to say that other carriers have bad connection, but occasionally they don't interact well.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada on Rogers...

I do plenty of daily Rogers to Rogers calls, there's a chance he's actually on Telus (thought I'm not sure).

And just for the sake of additional info, I rack up 1,000-2,000 minutes a month talking to TONS of different people (I'm a heavy work user), and have never had a call even close to this quality...

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if this has something to do with the Codec's being used on the GSM network.

I'm wondering if the latest and greatest phones are trying to use these, while most are still using older gens?

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if this has something to do with the Codec's being used on the GSM network.

I'm wondering if the latest and greatest phones are trying to use these, while most are still using older gens?
The Nokia 1020 supports the speech codec AMR-WB.

If the mobile phones of both partners in a telephone conversation are AMR-WB-capable and their mobile operators have enabled this codec this can improve the acoustics significantly.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has been know to have exceptional call quality for many years. It makes sense, as Nokia basically invented many of the algorithms and protocols that make up the cellular voice networks. They have many patents related to this stuff.

I think it's likely that you would get very good call quality with any other Nokia phone on the other end (assuming the network is up to par). That's not to say that other phones can't provide good call quality too, but many don't. Even some phones that are considered flagship phones have fairly mediocre voice quality. Sometimes the difference isn't that obvious because of other conditions.

For example, two of my close friends have Samsung Galaxy phones (S3 and S4). I have a very hard time hearing them clearly on the phone. One of them usually has fairly low signal at her house which causes her phone to sound awful, but I have made lots of calls from her house with my phone and everything is clear. The other friend has a tendency to sort of mumble when he talks and I think his Samsung phone filters out half of what he says as background noise or it gets lost in the compression algorithms. However, twice he has called me on a friends Nokia and I could hear him as clear as a bell (mumbling and all). Those two phone calls were the only time I have had a call with him where I wasn't constantly asking him to repeat himself. In good conditions the SG3 and SG4 sound quite good, but in marginal conditions they don't compare well to Nokia in my experience.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
This is an incomplete list (*) from the end of July with HD Voice-capable phones (successors are supposed to support HD Voice as well):

• Apple iPhone 5
  • Blackberry Q10
  • Blackberry Z10
  • HTC 8X
  • HTC 8S
  • HTC One S
  • Huawei Ascend G300
  • Huawei Ascend G510
  • Huawei Ascend Mate
  • LG E610v Optimus L5
  • LG P700
  • LG P760 Optimus L9