Pictures on extreme low light... Is this VIDEO true? Or is my 1020 is damaged...?

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, there.

I bought a Lumia 1020 because of the greatest pictures in low light.
But I saw a video that made me really love it. The video was about the 920... And I thought: if the 920 can do, the 1020 also, and maybe better.

So... Disappointed... Mine 1020 do nothing even close to this video at extreme low light.

I ask you: is this a fake video, or is my 1020 damaged...?

an extreme nokia lumia 920 camera test in very low light!!!! - YouTube

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, there.

I bought a Lumia 1020 because of the greatest pictures in low light.
But I saw a video that made me really love it. The video was about the 920... And I thought: if the 920 can do, the 1020 also, and maybe better.

So... Disappointed... Mine 1020 do nothing even close to this video at extreme low light.

I ask you: is this a fake video, or is my 1020 damaged...?

an extreme nokia lumia 920 camera test in very low light!!!! - YouTube

I think because he used the focus assist light it helped him get that type of image

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Its about right, my 1020 can do pictures like that but its got to be held still or it gets fuzzy, great with the tripod

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Just don't think you can get into a completely dark room with absolutely no light and still take a picture without a flash, that's physically not possible even with a DSLR. Just think of the settings used on the video camera he was using.

mzoslater

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the lumia 920 and now the 1020. Nokia lumia 920 was best photos in low light conditions! I imagine it would be for the greater opening of the lumia 920, f.2.0 vs f.2.2

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hum.... I guess the 920 is better for low light.
In the movie, he didn't use the 4s speed. And I tried with 4s in a room with more light than the one in the video, and the result was near, but not the same. The ISO don't work for that result either.

I tried the focus assisted too... Not enought..

Kind of disappointed....

By the way, there is an other problem in pictures... I can't see the high resolution pics on the 1020... That really sucks. HD Photo Viewer? Didn't see any difference. Sucks.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Dude don't be disappointed think of the times you're actually going to use this in real life, not so many I know I have the Lumia 920 but what you'll do almost always will be taking great pictures without that horrible rays of light going into your sensor and here's why:
You see the aperture on the Lumia 1020 is f2.2 (its also called lens speed /Fstop speed) while its F2.0 on the Lumia 920.
meaning the Lumia 920's lens is prawn to get more light, but the thing about light is: sometimes there's too much of it.

Take for example night photography in the city, lamp posts almost always ruin good shots unless you cover your lens with some sort of a cup or something.
the Lumia 1020 shines here because of its F2.2 aperture, also when capturing long exposure shots a bigger aperture would mean the light will flood the sensor and some shots will become too white to use.

Anyways, if you really want a great shot that nothing but the Lumia 1020 can achieve right now try this:
* Set your Lumia 1020 up to 4 secs with forced Flash.
* Steady the camera horizontally make sure no shakes will happen (use the Timer function in the menu).
* Let a friend pose as the Flash (the superhero),
* Frame your friend so he's almost out of the view finder.
* Make sure he's posing as if he's about to go off the view finder and not inward.
* Take the picture and once the flash goes off, slowly let him go back to the other side of the view finder.
PLEASE SHARE THE RESULTS afterwards :)

Thanks you.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hum.... I guess the 920 is better for low light.
In the movie, he didn't use the 4s speed. And I tried with 4s in a room with more light than the one in the video, and the result was near, but not the same. The ISO don't work for that result either.

I tried the focus assisted too... Not enought..

Kind of disappointed....

By the way, there is an other problem in pictures... I can't see the high resolution pics on the 1020... That really sucks. HD Photo Viewer? Didn't see any difference. Sucks.

You have to realize that it really matters where are you in relation to the light.
If the lights you're using are facing the camera the results won't be as good, learn where to position yourself the best place for this type of photography is to be either to the front right or to the front left of the light source.
use one light source or a flashlight to highlight what you want the camera to see.

Good luck.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's because of the light coming from the camera he is recording with. There has to be some sort of light in the room to get an effect like this.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't work.
Tried the high ISO, the night scene, 4s shutter... Not that.
Anyway.... Sad.

Other problem... This is the bigger. Setup the app Nokia Camera to see the image after shooting. Take a picture. For 2 seconds after that, the image will be beautiful while processing. After processed, will loose quality. Very bad. Is there anyway I can keep that beautiful image? The JPEG processing kills the image.

Tried the RAW option, but mine 1020 didn't have this option. Does yours have??? o_O
Another Nokia first: Digital Negatives for Lumia – : the official Nokia blog

Mine just have the 5MB and 5MB+38MB.

.......?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work.
Anyway.... Sad.

Other problem... This is the bigger. Setup the app Nokia Camera to see the image after shooting. Take a picture. For 2 seconds after that, the image will be beautiful while processing. After processed, will loose quality. Very bad. Is there anyway I can keep that beautiful image? The JPEG processing kills the image.

Tried the RAW option, but mine 1020 didn't have this option. Does yours have??? o_O

.......?

I agree the post processing ruins a lot of shots on the 1020 (very rarely does it improve the shot); however Nokia has announced that with Nokia Black they will be overhauling the post processing and adding RAW support, so you have to wait until then, hopefully the improvements are going to be worth it.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work.
Anyway.... Sad.

.......?
I hope you considered the trick I suggested earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos