Lumia 1020 - The JPEG processing killing image quality... Samples.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey...

I have 2 screen shots to show what the JPEG processing (in Amber) can do to the image quality.
It kills the focus and mess with the white balance. No matter what WB you use in the settings, the color will change after saving the image.

Hope the Black update fixes it.

The first one was taken immediately after taking the photo (before JPEG processing)

The second, just after the image has been saved, after processed.

Nokia Before Processing.jpg

Nokia After Processing.png

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's still better than most phones though, keep that in perspective. Look at the nasty sharpening and noise reduction of some of the other "top" camera phones.

But, yeah... I cant wait for Black firmware which will hopefully bring improvements and atleast RAW ability.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If the 1520 camera performance is anything to go by.. 1020 owners are in for a treat once Black ships.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey...

I have 2 screen shots to show what the JPEG processing (in Amber) can do to the image quality.
It kills the focus and mess with the white balance. No matter what WB you use in the settings, the color will change after saving the image.

Hope the Black update fixes it.

The first one was taken immediately after taking the photo (before JPEG processing)

The second, just after the image has been saved, after processed.

View attachment 51024

View attachment 51023

I am also having a problem with my Lumia 920. The photo right after you take it is awesome but after 2 seconds the post processing makes the photo yellowish. Have you tried the front camera? You will look like a yellowish sick person. I hope Microsoft and Nokia are aware of this. I am looking forward that the Black GDR3 update will fix this.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
When are we going to stop judging the camera performance based off the viewfinder...

We have RAW ability now, lets compare to that. ;)

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same problem. Pictures are very nice and sharp right after you take it and then the post processing destroys the picture after 2 seconds. It became yellowish. If you tried to use the front camera, see how you will look like a simpson.

Alex Castillo

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I got the Black update, and lastes version of the Camera software and still the same problem exists! I have noticed the problem is more evident at night or with artificial lighting and low light conditions, no so noticeable in sun light. But what I hate the most is the blurring of the picture after the post-processing... What is the proper channel with Nokia to tell them this problem?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I've talked about this before, and I won't go into detail again now. One point however; JPEG compression and post processing are not usually considered the same thing as that would mislead. I believe the issue you are discussing here is post processing, not JPEG compression. Just thought it was worth pointing out. Perhaps I will add one more point, this is a much more complex issue than 'there's a bug Nokia, please fix'. This is about balance between noise and post processing and what the buyers, in general, want. Noise gets more moans than aggressive post processing. Remember, most phone owners don't understand cameras.

Last edited:

Alex Castillo

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Here is one sample of my Lumia 1020 with Black Update and the latest Nokia Camera version released mid february 2014
Pre-Processing image:
Pre-Processing.jpg

Post-processed image:
Post-Processing.jpg

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the Black update, and lastes version of the Camera software and still the same problem exists! I have noticed the problem is more evident at night or with artificial lighting and low light conditions, no so noticeable in sun light. But what I hate the most is the blurring of the picture after the post-processing... What is the proper channel with Nokia to tell them this problem?

Yep same issue here. Unfortunately

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa