Nokia 1020 battery drain rates.. mine normal?

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently got the 1020.. i've installed a battery app.. at one point, post a MS update that i got through dev channels, had issues with massive battery drain.. around 20 percent per hour..

So i reset the phone to factory defaults, per some threads around here.. also tried running with very few apps.. saw around 3.5 percent per hour after that, at least till i put some apps back on it..
This is with wifi, bluetooth and lte on.

My usage throughout the day is minimal.. no videos typically.. just web page hits or email checks or message checks etc.. i turn the phone "off" / standby when not in use typically.. maybe have it on say 45 minutes out of the day without turning it off.. and the rest here and there for email checking.

A few days in row.. start off with 100% around 9am.. by 515 its at 38-40%.. (the recharge rate varies between 25-40%, depending on which recharger i'm using.. i have usb charge ports for the wall.. some are 1 amp, some 2.. not sure this matters on charging)..

Right now i checked the phone.. it shows a 6.8 percent discharge rate.. i really havent seen anything below 5 in awhile now.. it can peak at 11-14 when doing a mix of web/videos etc for 15 minutes.
I do have 2 active tiles and a lot of things pinned.. maybe three swipes worth to get to the bottom if that..

Can anyone comment on their discharge rates.. does this sound normal.. thinking maybe swapping it at the store if they have them there, before my 30 days runs out.. not sure if nokia warranty goes beyond that or not and i'm guessing no advanced replacement if needed.

Thanks in advance

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
try the 4G settings in cellular, its a killer if its looking for a signal and not finding one

Under cellular I dont see this at all.. my phone shows 3-4 bars LTE.. and i know its working in LTE/4G as my download speeds over LTE is around 33 mb peak at times.

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
An update to my saga..

So i ran the test with all background tasks disabled.. and airplane mode.. with it mostly in standby and on and off a few times an hour, the drain was still 6-11 percent per hour with this usage.

I returned the phone, got a new one..

After a power cycle and everything reinstalled.. at times i show 2.53 percent per hour drain.. but, the phone is still typically draining at about 6-22 percent per hour.. usually 6 with on and off usage throughout the day.

I do have many things pinned to the main screen, maybe 2.5 finger swipes full.. most is NOT live tile though, maybe 4 total have notifications, numeric, and 1 with a wider icon view with live tile.. iv'e read this can cause drain, but i'm not about to not pin anything, otherwise whats the point lol

**If i use the phone, on 100% email, web apps etc.. for an hour.. i went from 91% to 73% in one hour (is this typical?)

Recharge rates are usually 20-25 percent per hour.

This just may be the way it is with this model, given my (what should be typical) usage patterns.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
An update to my saga..

So i ran the test with all background tasks disabled.. and airplane mode.. with it mostly in standby and on and off a few times an hour, the drain was still 6-11 percent per hour with this usage.

After a power cycle and everything reinstalled.. at times i show 2.53 percent per hour drain.. but, the phone is still typically draining at about 6-22 percent per hour.. usually 6 with on and off usage throughout the day.

I do have many things pinned to the main screen, maybe 2.5 finger swipes full.. most is NOT live tile though, maybe 4 total have notifications, numeric, and 1 with a wider icon view with live tile.. iv'e read this can cause drain, but i'm not about to not pin anything, otherwise whats the point lol

**If i use the phone, on 100% email, web apps etc.. for an hour.. i went from 91% to 73% in one hour (is this typical?)

This just may be the way it is with this model, given my (what should be typical) usage patterns.

Most common cause of battery drain is background apps - what apps do you allow to run in the background? (Settings - Applications - Background Apps)
Additionally, how many accounts do you have under "email and accounts" and how often do they sync?

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Most common cause of battery drain is background apps - what apps do you allow to run in the background? (Settings - Applications - Background Apps)
Additionally, how many accounts do you have under "email and accounts" and how often do they sync?

Well during my test on the old phone i disabled all background apps as well.. no change was seen.

Accounts wise i just have exchange and gmail.. exchange is push, gmail is every 30.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The first day I got my phone, it was pretty solid. Perhaps slightly better than my Titan, which was decent enough. Then after a few days, it turned bad. I only have 3-4 apps allowed to run in the background and 3 email clients. FB integration is on. I can easily kill my battery in 4hr of heavy usage. I'm lucky to get all day on moderate/light usage. I just got in the Nokia camera grip and it drains just as fast, so my issue clearly is not my phones battery. Def the OS itself and App usage.

One thing, if you go into settings-background applications and then scroll down to advanced, you can see all the Apps that can still run in the background and you can't completely disable it. For this reason, I try to delete any Apps I don't really use.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Well during my test on the old phone i disabled all background apps as well.. no change was seen.

Accounts wise i just have exchange and gmail.. exchange is push, gmail is every 30.

Also ensure that you are not syncing too far back, especially if you have a lot of messages in your synced folders. There should be an option "Download email from" - I leave it at the last two weeks and keep my inbox pretty clean. This applies especially to your Gmail account.

Also, as for your Gmail account, I would not recommend having it at every 30 minutes. This is very frequent for it to establish a new connection and attempt to pull data. I would recommend you set it to push, or every hour or more (or get rid of it by forwarding to your exchange account).

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Also ensure that you are not syncing too far back, especially if you have a lot of messages in your synced folders. There should be an option "Download email from" - I leave it at the last two weeks and keep my inbox pretty clean. This applies especially to your Gmail account.

Also, as for your Gmail account, I would not recommend having it at every 30 minutes. This is very frequent for it to establish a new connection and attempt to pull data. I would recommend you set it to push, or every hour or more (or get rid of it by forwarding to your exchange account).

I think its only set for last 3-7 days max.. (gmail integrated app sucks on here too, unlike iphone you cant search a gmail box.. u can search exchange).. there is no option to push however

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The first day I got my phone, it was pretty solid. Perhaps slightly better than my Titan, which was decent enough. Then after a few days, it turned bad. I only have 3-4 apps allowed to run in the background and 3 email clients. FB integration is on. I can easily kill my battery in 4hr of heavy usage. I'm lucky to get all day on moderate/light usage. I just got in the Nokia camera grip and it drains just as fast, so my issue clearly is not my phones battery. Def the OS itself and App usage.

One thing, if you go into settings-background applications and then scroll down to advanced, you can see all the Apps that can still run in the background and you can't completely disable it. For this reason, I try to delete any Apps I don't really use.

I had forgotten about the advanced area.. this is a bummer.. one shouldnt have to tweak the phone to make battery life that much more usable.. i never had to do this on iphone.. but i guess with nearly a first gen wp, what can you expect.. its still good overall.. i wouldnt switch back at this point, not now that i've found workarounds for most app based issues.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
An update to my saga..

My phone nets about one and a half days per charge, and I can tell you that using the phone for web browsing, and (depending on which ones) apps WILL drain your phone's battery. It's just a matter of which apps; for some reason web browsing on the 1020 is rated at five hours...I blame the AMOLED screen and the atypical white background of most websites (in a nutshell, AMOLED will consume less power where there is 'black' on the screen and more when there are lighter colours, as each pixel is also a light source). Do keep in mind you have all your radios (BT, WiFi, NFC) on - I usually don't use Bluetooth and NFC so I leave them off. My advice is to rifle through all the settings and re-adjust things to how YOU would use the phone; if you're not using something, why should it be on? Expect battery to drain quicker with LTE, but heck I leave it on

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I too have seen an increase in battery consumption as of late, and the only thing I can think of that's different is Update 3. Very disappointing, my average daily battery life has dropped from 22-24 hours to 18-20 hours. I used to often get through 2 days without charging, but now I have to charge my phone every night, like some filthy... peasant (referring to iPhone's infamous battery life).

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I too have seen an increase in battery consumption as of late, and the only thing I can think of that's different is Update 3. Very disappointing, my average daily battery life has dropped from 22-24 hours to 18-20 hours. I used to often get through 2 days without charging, but now I have to charge my phone every night, like some filthy... peasant (referring to iPhone's infamous battery life).

i forgot to mention that part.. i've had update 3 installed for a few weeks now, so it may have something to do with it too.

rudrAgni

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Even if you have blocked background tasks for some apps, not all background tasks can be blocked. You can view these apps in Background Tasks and then going into the Advanced menu option. Check which apps are there. Then open those apps individually and check setting inside each of them. Some may have Location Services turned on, some may have live tile on. Disable them and your battery life may improve. I had battery life as well as live tiles on my Lumia 920 were not working even though i had blocked almost all background apps and I resolved it by following the above steps. Also do recharge cycles i.e fully charge battery, then let it drain till phone turns off. Some apps like WP Bench free can help with that.

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I would have it exchanged again.

I first had one that had the same problems, 5-15% discharge rate. I got another one and this one lasts around 2 days on one charge. Around 1% discharge rate on idle, around 3-5% on load.

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was just me who's battery was crap :( Mine needs charging a lot too. I was just looking for tips when I came across this thread :)

Gagavital

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
stand-by ( 3.5% per hour )
playing game (11% per hour )
and sometimes starts to heat up and drain the battery quickly on stand-by!
( Double Tap is on and battery app is allowed to do its stuff on background )

Gagavital

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
hey, thank you!
I didn't know that there is advanced page on backgrounds task!
I'm pretty sure that over heating problem is due to apps which we can't turn their background tasks off!
next time I face my phones heat , I'm gonna delete those apps and let you know!
those are beats music , mix radio , pandora and al quran app!

Gagavital

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys , I'm pretty sure that I found out the problem!
it was Nokia MixRadio Problem!
I turned collect usage data off and there is no heat any more!
I'm super happy!
hope it help you too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss