Lumia 1020 Microphone Issues

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought I saw a thread about this before but can't seem to find anything anymore. I have just purchased a 1020 and I have the latest update for the phone but seem to be having issues with the microphone. I can call and talk with anyone but as soon as I go into speaker mode they can't hear me. So I tried to speak to my phone to do commands and it's can't hear me either. Is this a software update issue or is the phone malfunctioning?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I thought I saw a thread about this before but can't seem to find anything anymore. I have just purchased a 1020 and I have the latest update for the phone but seem to be having issues with the microphone. I can call and talk with anyone but as soon as I go into speaker mode they can't hear me. So I tried to speak to my phone to do commands and it's can't hear me either. Is this a software update issue or is the phone malfunctioning?

Sounds like hardware to me. I have a 1020 with the Lumia Black update and no issues with mic during loudspeaker calls.

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
No probs With me, I had probe with Skype before... My mic was on too high and I couldn't change mix volume... My friend complained to me... Now the latest Skype update fixed it

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think is the software, before the Black update, have problem when I was on the phone, people can not hear me, when I use speaker is ok, so I called Nokia, they wanted me to send the phone in, I received my phone back within a week, everything is ok, and they said just updated everything and doing nothing on the phone.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like hardware to me. I have a 1020 with the Lumia Black update and no issues with mic during loudspeaker calls.

Hope not.

EDIT: Seems I have found a weird bug. If I record in a vertical format, no sound, as soon as I go to a horizontal format, I have sound. I'll post videos soon.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi, same problem here :-/ Lumia 1020 is updated to the latest version. Had no problems before the update, this is why I think it's not a hardware problem.

onlyconnect

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I think is the software, before the Black update, have problem when I was on the phone, people can not hear me, when I use speaker is ok, so I called Nokia, they wanted me to send the phone in, I received my phone back within a week, everything is ok, and they said just updated everything and doing nothing on the phone.

What I find odd about this is that the mic problem (which I had on my own 1020 before I returned it) survives a hard reset (About - Reset your phone). So what update did Nokia do that went beyond the hard reset?

Tim

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Other similar thread here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/247246-lumia-925-mic-problems-wp8-software-issue.html

I've just returned my 1020 to Nokia for replacement. Ever since I received this handset (warranty replacement for different fault), I have had the following symptoms:

• No audio on recorded video with default Camera app
  • Mic doesn't work on speakerphone
  • Mic doesn't work on video chat with Skype

I have done a full factory reset which did not fix, so assume it is a hardware fault. Will report back when I hear back from Nokia service.

So once this is replaced it will be my 3rd 1020 in about 5 months. I am very disappointed in the quality, given my troubles and those of others on the forum. Considering Nokia has(had) an awesome reputation for building reliable devices. I am back to using my trusty E63 yet again...

EDIT: from this thread, looks like is definitely a hardware issue: Lumia 1020 speakerphone problem - Nokia Support Discussions

Last edited:

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
ok thanks for the link! I'll try to get some information directly from Nokia and would post the answer here (if I get any).

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues with my hardware version 3.3.0.0.
The mic issues with speaker phone didn't occur with hardware version 3.3.0.2.
Maybe it was a fixed hardware issue.
I hope Nokia takes a good look at it.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
ok my Nokia man says:
-never heard of this problem
-please send the device in, we will replace it
-we'll have a look at it

hm. ok

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've got the same issue myself. The call microphone works, but the speakerphone/voice command/video recording one doesn't (mic1 in the Nokia Care Suite works, mic2 doesn't) but I've been trying to hold off sending the device in until after (hopefully) WP8.1 adds in better backup support so I don't lose all of my app data and game saves. Luckily, April is still well within the device's warranty.

Last edited:

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issues with my hardware version 3.3.0.0.
The mic issues with speaker phone didn't occur with hardware version 3.3.0.2.
Maybe it was a fixed hardware issue.
I hope Nokia takes a good look at it.

I have a 1020 with hardware version 3.3.0.2 that started having this exact problem after receiving the black update.

LMKz

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I just received a replacement 1020 from Nokia NZ for this issue. New one works fine, so presumably this is a hardware fault, and seemingly quite common.

Under "about" in settings, my "Hardware revision number" is showing as 4.4.0.0 if that is of any interest.

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess the hardware version doesn't have much to do with it then. As a side note I did have ATT replace my 3.3.0.0 with another refurb version 3.3.0.3 and I updated to Black without any issues. I then installed Developer Preview and updated to the latest WP8 build and performed two hard resets to be sure everything was reset properly. I now await 8.1.

mordycoke

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem.My bottom speaker works fine as well with everything else except that my speaker on top of the Nokia logo doesn't work.I can't hear anything when I make/receive calls.I have 3.3.0.2 software version.I noticed the problem a week after I updated it.I also dropped the phone about 2 feet on my carpet, but that shouldn't have done much to the phone I don't think.If anyone has a solution that would help please let me know.I don't want to resort to having to turn in my phone.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Finally sent my device to Nokia to be repaired, and now it's working great. Not sure what the revision number was before the repair, but it is now version 3.3.0.2.

Brandon Ercoline

May 2, 2014
Visit site
If you're running 8.1:
I took my 1020 into an ATT store and all they did was revert me back to 8.0 and the speaker phone mic works again. I am not sure what is going on with it for 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro