LUMIA 1020 battery drains heavily

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a 720 before I got my 1020 and I can say battery life is really a little disappointing. My 720 can last up to 3-4 days with occasional gaming and browsing. I have to charge my 1020 everyday and it gets really hot sometimes on standby. I came across this app Battery Doctor which you may want to try because it can show you apps that uses battery the most. In my case, the culprit is the airplane mode and battery saver turned on.

Rizwan Iqbal

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My lumia 1020 battery's draining so heavily ( 94% - 8 hrs remaining ) i tried doing the soft reset, disabled all the background apps, turned off the settings, at last even did a hard reset and installed all the apps again and after two days it still on to the same issue... :crying:
Anyone facing the same issues ? :unhappysweat:

Well I have a suggestion for you. Don't use your 1020 as a main phone switch the simcard in any other device for 3 to 5 days. And charge your 1020 to 100% and leave it in drawer with wifi on . repeat this procedure for a week. Actually once your lumia device became habbitual of showing 16 or so on hours remaining after 100% charge. It will show same till ita death. Only you have to change its routine so it can calculate new battery life cycle. I sold my 1020 but when I was fed up with battery life I swapped the sim card to 808 and let the 1020 die in drawer. It lasts upto 5 days 😄😄 with one charge ..

Ms_Macsa

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I only have the apps that are related to maps and the camera installed. Nothing else. The battery life was about a day before I installed the upgrade 8.1. Now the battery life is 4 hours even if I don't touch the phone. What changed? All the apps are the same, I use it even less, turned on battery saver mode for the whole time, wifi and everything else is turned off, still the phone won't last for more than 4 hours. I loved this phone till now, but now I'm starting to lose faith. I even tried resetting the phone, no apps installed. And it just won't help. Do you have any other ideas I could try?

abelljms

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
yep, battery is ****e.
dream back ot the days of the nok5130, with a talktime of DAYS, let alone standby of 'for ever'.
this is why nokia had to sell out to 'the devil' !

1. i carry a battery pack to recharge,
  2. also tyr running with battery saver on, as that really dents power consumption
  3. keep blue tooth off unless actually using it

but why should u have to dance around, the spec is below-acceptable as of 'merchantable quality' in my view

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually I have to charge my L1020 twice a day since Cyan.

Same, twice a day charging...and thats on low-med use. Generally i lose about 10% over sleep (7-8 hours) which is below average in my books but acceptable, but this morning woke up to my battery at 69% from 100% (7 hour period). Wow.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I've disabled Cortana and location services, my battery has improved a lot...only need to charge once a day.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Following up, 12 days after updating to 8.1: My 1020 battery still lasts all day, even on heavier days, which for me means hours of Phone, Camera, and IE use, and not much else. You do have to learn your phone, including the effect of phone and app features you use, and then use it and compromise in line with your priorities.

You also have to figure out when you've trashed your device, or if you purchased a bad one.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Following up, 12 days after updating to 8.1: My 1020 battery still lasts all day, even on heavier days, which for me means hours of Phone, Camera, and IE use, and not much else. You do have to learn your phone, including the effect of phone and app features you use, and then use it and compromise in line with your priorities.

You also have to figure out when you've trashed your device, or if you purchased a bad one.

Are you using Cortana/Location services?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you using Cortana/Location services?
I disconnected her this morning, though mostly because I decided I prefer a standard Bing page. I had detect-tracking and run-in-background off anyway. She's cute and will connect her as needed. I do have system location services checked on, but I screen and monitor apps. I don't have them on for weather, for instance.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I disconnected her this morning, though mostly because I decided I prefer a standard Bing page. I had detect-tracking and run-in-background off anyway. She's cute and will connect her as needed. I do have system location services checked on, but I screen and monitor apps. I don't have them on for weather, for instance.

Hmmm ok, I was using location services with weatherflow...maybe that was an issue?

ck1223

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I am 100% convinced it is a hardware issue, and it is the luck of the draw.

My wife and I both have a Lumia 1020 (RM-877), running 8.1. We both have HAD great battery life, even though she was on firmware 40000, and I was on 50009. I brought my phone in for repair, and they changed the phone housing to fix the problem. After receiving the phone back, I've had crap battery life, and I mean crap. I decided to do a test.

I erased my phone completely, installed no apps, turned off all background tasks that I could. My battery just tanked, maybe lasted 5 hours. Now I thought it was because she was on older firmware, so I downgraded my firmware to match my wife's. We were running the same OS version, same Firmware (40000), and I went through her phone and my phone, and I matched each option under settings and usage, and battery saver. Everything I could think of.

I at the time had about 65% battery, while she has 85%. We went out, and by the time 3 hours went by, I had 5% battery, and she had 65%.

She had Cortana enabled, and so did I. She had a tonne of apps, and I didn't. I didn't have Here Drive+, I didn't have Facebook, I didn't have twitter, nothing. She had facebook, instagram, 3 email accounts, BBM, Nokia Glace, High Sensitivity Screen, I only had my outlook account email logged in.

So there you go, my conclusion is it's a hardware issue, and it's the case housing. I think the battery may be electrically shorting with the case housing, and it's draining the battery.

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Got a 1020 yesterday. Apart from the out-of-box battery life(lost 50% in one night), I love the phone and the camera.

Restarted it this morning, with battery going from 46% to 34%. Did it once again and went to 37%, so could be early software calibration. If battery life gets decent enough to go for a full day without a half discharge at night, this is by far the best phone I've ever had.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Got a 1020 yesterday. Apart from the out-of-box battery life(lost 50% in one night), I love the phone and the camera.

Restarted it this morning, with battery going from 46% to 34%. Did it once again and went to 37%, so could be early software calibration. If battery life gets decent enough to go for a full day without a half discharge at night, this is by far the best phone I've ever had.

ya dont worry about that inconsistency so early on, your device needs to optimize with the software over the next 2 weeks or so. I think most of us here have had the phone for a few months at least. Keep an eye on the usage and report back later.

On topic: My phone has been 'OK' for the last week, battery can go 24 hrs if mostly in idle. Whats interesting is I was at the baseball game last Friday, took off the charge at 5pm...headed down to game. Took a TON of pictures, browsed the web and texted a few people...i got home at 1am with 86% remaining! Very impressed. But then days passed and doing less tasks the battery drained faster.

It may be HW related but i doubt it, theres too much inconsistency for me to believe its hw specific. I still believe it can be related to poor signaling and OS process hogging when in use.

Rasmus Klingenberg

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
ya dont worry about that inconsistency so early on, your device needs to optimize with the software over the next 2 weeks or so. I think most of us here have had the phone for a few months at least. Keep an eye on the usage and report back later.

On topic: My phone has been 'OK' for the last week, battery can go 24 hrs if mostly in idle. Whats interesting is I was at the baseball game last Friday, took off the charge at 5pm...headed down to game. Took a TON of pictures, browsed the web and texted a few people...i got home at 1am with 86% remaining! Very impressed. But then days passed and doing less tasks the battery drained faster.

It may be HW related but i doubt it, theres too much inconsistency for me to believe its hw specific. I still believe it can be related to poor signaling and OS process hogging when in use.

Have a feeling 95% of cases is software-related. The 1520 I had before had the same problem after going to wp 8.1. Intensive tasks, such as picture taking and games/videos basically took the same amount of battery juice, but leaving it overnight after updating and generally idle battery use was awful. Something in 8.1 is messing with the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett