Battery saving tips

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is my second thread, related to my first one regarding problems I had with 2 Lumia 1020's straight out of the box. I did a lot of research on battery saving tips and I thought I'd list them all in one format. Please excuse me if someone else has done the same. Here goes:

Set the phone to 2G in settings under "mobile network". For most users, this saves battery except however for those heavily using data on their mobile network instead of WiFi. In those cases, 3 and 4G is better.

Set your color theme to "dark" and any apps that allow color changing scheme. A light background means the battery is lighting up pixels.

Exit applications via the back button, not by pressing homescreen. Also, close applications by pressing and holding the backbutton and closing off all individual applications.

Set time zone to manual rather than automatic, after selecting your particular timezone.

When not needed, turn off WiFi, bluetooth, NFC and location. I suggest installing a battery app that allows you to individually pin WiFi, bluetooth and location icons, so that you can easily access them, rather than tediously going through settings..

In background tasks, block all avaliable apps from running in the background. You will notice however that when you press "advanced", it tells you a list of other apps that cannot be blocked and may run in the background.

Any apps with ads either block if possible, as per the above suggestion, buy the premium version to remove the ads or remove the app.

Turn the battery saver on and press "advanced" and select on until next charge. When you charge it, the battery saver turns off and you will have to reselect it after unplugging the charger. IMPORTANT: You will have to go through a couple of extra steps for certain applications. For eg, when battery saver is on, you cannot turn location on if you want to use the offline HereDrive navigation. You first have to turn off battery saver, then turn on location, then open HereDrive.

Set screen brightness to low. Turn off keypad press sounds.

In Nokia camera, go to settings and turn off the automatic geolocation tags.

In any native or other app, turn off any setting allowing automatic sending of either location or information to Microsoft.

Turn off double tap to wake up the phone. I don't expect anyone to do without the glance screen. In the above mentioned battery saver mode, (until next charge), even if you have glance screen set to always, the peek or hover mode is activated. So either set the battery saver to on until next charge or manually set glance to peek mode rather than always on.

And lastly but most importantly and most effective, buy a Lumia 1520 battery from ebay and install it in your 1020..............................just yanking your chains.

Not sure if your battery is inherently faulty? Before going to bed, charge it to full, set the phone to airplane mode, and turn off glance screen and night mode. If overnight the battery has dropped significantly, then without question, the battery is faulty.

P.S. 2 other suggestions which I forgot which another user reminded me. Listening to music wired rather than bluetooth uses less power. As a bonus, you get to play around with the graphic equalizer in the 1020. And turn off XBox auto sync. Thanks Chris Germany for those 2 I forgot.

Also, charge the battery always to full and immediately take it off the charger once full. DO NOT fully discharge the battery and try to avoid discharging where possible well under 50%. Li ion batteries like frequent top up charges and do not like deep discharges. In the car, don't leave the phone to get hot in the car or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Why buying a smartphone and turn all the features off?!

WiFi consumes less than 3G connection!

2G is useless. It just helps if the reception is bad so the phone has too look for better signal all the time m (so maybe on the countryside).

Also closing apps is just a android thing. Doesn't matter if you go back or to homesxreen! They normally don't run in the background anyway!

Charging the battery for longer time (eg overnight) does not hurt them! You can't overcharge a battery, there are electronics to avoid that! I keep it on charger while,I sleep and my battery is fine for almost a year now! Its even better!

Also the black theme just helps with amoled screens!!! Normal screens don't care if black or white!

Please, inform yourself a bit better before give advice to other people.

My tipps******** :

Turn off sync in games and Xbox music

Turn off NFC/BT if,not needed

WiFi is ok

Check background tasks for unnecessary apps

There some more but got no time now.

But like I said, turning off everything is useless...

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Why buying a smartphone and turn all the features off?!

WiFi consumes less than 3G connection!

2G is useless. It just helps if the reception is bad so the phone has too look for better signal all the time m (so maybe on the countryside).

Also closing apps is just a android thing. Doesn't matter if you go back or to homesxreen! They normally don't run in the background anyway!

Charging the battery for longer time (eg overnight) does not hurt them! You can't overcharge a battery, there are electronics to avoid that! I keep it on charger while,I sleep and my battery is fine for almost a year now! Its even better!

Also the black theme just helps with amoled screens!!! Normal screens don't care if black or white!

Please, inform yourself a bit better before give advice to other people.

My tipps******** :

Turn off sync in games and Xbox music

Turn off NFC/BT if,not needed

WiFi is ok

Check background tasks for unnecessary apps

There some more but got no time now.

But like I said, turning off everything is useless...

Some of those tips are actually are on the Nokia care app. For eg, exiting an app by pressing the back screen button, not the home button. Look it up yourself. Please read Nokia care yourself before telling me I'm wrong. You say that changing the themes to a dark background is useless. Really? Gee, why don't you write to Nokia and tell them that becuase in the Nokai help and tip apps, it says actually that! Also in the help and tip apps, Nokai suggest as an alternative what I suggested about the battey saver being turned on until next charge and manually checking email. So "my" ideas are not fetched or uninformed as you suggest.

And why buy a smartphone and turn off the features? I never suggest "turn off", I did suggest management of features instead. Why have WiFi, NFC, bluetooth, location etc constantly turned on when not needed? And unless you are a businessman, sales rep, out on the road for work etc, most of us can live with manually checking email once a day.

You say that many of the things I suggested don't work. Well as an update, my Lumia 520 now discharges 0.5% per hr using all those measures So I am now talking about 5 days of standby before it reaches 40%. I rest my case. Only the old dumbphones could do that.

And as far as being bette informed before dishing out advice to others, you suggest leaving the phone plugged in continuously, claiming it doesn't hurt it. This I'm sorry to say is very ignorant. The overwhelming consensus of Li ion batteries is to immediately unplug the charger once it's reached full. Yes, you cannot overcharge a Li ion battery because it has an over and uncharge protection circuit, but leaving it on charger for a long period leaves the battery for a longer period at elevated temperatures unnecessarily. Hence damaging the life of the battery.

Last edited:

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't exit my apps with the back button (depends of course, sometimes I do), and if i leave my phone and do nothing it lasts a few days as well.
It is possible that apps hang up (is that good English? ^^) so then it would be the solution to close them by pressing back button or hold back button and close them with the X.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
And I didn't want to say everything he said is wrong. But to turn off everything can't be the solution...

I wasn't advocating to everyone necessarily doing all those battery saving techniques. I personally do them and find it extremely useful. It was simply a list of battery saving techniques that people could pick and choose how many they wanted to employ. On days off for eg, lounging around the house, I wouldn't be turning WiFi and bluetooth on and off coninuously as I listened to music intermittently through the day and browsed the app store. Because when I'm at home it's easy to recharge the battery. A different thing when I'm out and about.

Just a bunch of suggestions for people to choose as they wish. I was simply stating that as I employed them all on my Lumia 520, I can attest that it definately works, giving me far longer standby then before. Obviously, web browsing, taking snaps etc will drain the battery and there is very little you can do to minimise it.

But for eg, if you went out for a day and your phone wasn't fully charged and you suddenly decide you want to take a lot of pics and videos, then doing all of these, so that you get almost no drain in standby between pics and videos. I personally think this is easier than carrying and charging a spare external battery. If push came to shove and in this instance and you couldn't take all the pics and images you wanted and didn't have an external battery, then you would be forced to put the phone into airplane mode, meaning of course no receiving at the very least a call. Employing all these techniques with the bare minimal drop per hr means you could still utilise the basic necessities of the phone whilst preserving the battery for photography. It's all about choices.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb