My Lumia 1020 got ran over by a vehicle.

claireggie

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
Long story short, i forgot my phone on top of my car-, someone found it on the road(gave it to his son to look at it), and i was able to get it back.
It had the camera grip attached with a mini tripod. I am completely crushed as it has been hard reseted. All my files are gone, but im still glad i got it back as it still somehow works. Camera lens part might have been saved by the camera grip during the incident as it works perfecly fine.

Problems:
The front cam and the sensor seems to be broken as glance doesnt work.

Whenever i make/receive a phone call the screen just blacks out, but the call still go though(sensor problem i guess), but i can not hang up or anything.

Now, i am thinking, is it worth getting repaired?? does anyone know how much it cost to replace the screen and body?

1.jpg3.jpg
2.jpg

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you can't make an insurance claim (or it's rejected), what I would probably do is get hold of a second hand 1020 that has a board fault (eg bricked or battery fault) and just transplant the board and/or battery from your phone into the donor phone.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Sad story...but i guess Nokia ones again proves how durable it it though.

As for a solution to your problem, get a bricked 1020 & perform a transplant.

Ult J

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
i could be wrong but what if no sensors or camera is broken and u just need the screen repaired.
the glass is shattered where i assume the proximity sensor and front cam is.
but i dont know how exactly the prox sensor works.

it might work and it might not

claireggie

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys thanks for the advice.

now my next question is, is there a way to turn off the sensor beside

the front cam? It seems to be my only problem as whenever I make a call, it thinks its beside my ear, so the screen just turns black and disables all the buttons except the volume rokr

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there is.. but a possible workaround is using a handsfree kit for the time being so you can still do calls.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think it's likely there are some DIY repair nuts among us who would be happy to work on your device for free, no guarantees of success, you pay for parts etc., if that would be a better option for you than binning. I've done that with cameras but phones, no chance. Anybody?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I got my screen replaced, cost $240. Most places charge higher than that. I was lucky to find a place that's on the low end and with decent reviews. I would just get a new phone. It's not worth replacing. You don't really know what's all wrong with it besides the cosmetics.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
i'd go for a new phone.

but according to 3310 physics the vehicle that went over a Nokia should be destroyed instead, at least the tyre burst.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
If it was mine id be replace the screen /digitizer assembly as one ,even though your display is still working and its the outer digitizer that is broken as the two are bonded together as one

I don't think the new screen/digitizer come with the camera & sensors ,and that would be a separate part that just pushes in and secured by double tape.

Could be worth checking ebay for any "Bad Imei" 1020's people may be selling and use the parts for yours

If your a buyer unfortunately they do seem to still fetch good prices in the not working/spares parts type categories ,so even if your not going to have it fixed,it still has some value.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
at least you still able to use it, send it to nokia care if warranty haven't void, if void, then go for other care store or send it to nokia care and pay for it

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it;s VERY likely that the sensor is fine and its just the cracked glass makes it mess up. I had an issue with my 920 doing exactly what yours did due to some dust. I was able to fix it by cleaning the dust out.

Since the phone is messed up, I'd recommend attempting to peel some of the glass away from the top right corner where the sensor and camera are. You might find that fixes it. Then you would at least know that having the digitizer/screen replaced(if they're 1 piece) would sort everything out.

If it was me I'd peel the glass off that corner, then depending on the length of my contract/price of the replacement I'd decide whether to repair it or replace it or leave it.

Edit: If it's on a contract you might be lucky. Depending on your carrier it might be possible to explain the situation to them, then get signed up on a new 24month contract,. They will then probably wave the exit fees of the last plan and just make you continue making phone payments for the 1020, which probably wont be much. All depends on how close to ending you contract you are.

Last edited:

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Long story short, i forgot my phone on top of my car-, someone found it on the road(gave it to his son to look at it), and i was able to get it back.
It had the camera grip attached with a mini tripod. I am completely crushed as it has been hard reseted. All my files are gone, but im still glad i got it back as it still somehow works. Camera lens part might have been saved by the camera grip during the incident as it works perfecly fine.

Problems:
The front cam and the sensor seems to be broken as glance doesnt work.

Whenever i make/receive a phone call the screen just blacks out, but the call still go though(sensor problem i guess), but i can not hang up or anything.

Now, i am thinking, is it worth getting repaired?? does anyone know how much it cost to replace the screen and body?

View attachment 70090View attachment 70091
View attachment 70092

i have an idea.. Go to nokia's blog or hit them up on twitter and say how awesome and surprised you feel that your phone is still working after being ran over by a vehicle....And they will give you a new phone

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Genuine display and replacement: 180? at Nokia repair centre, back cover 80? without sim tray. You can find non genuine cover for 30?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium