Problem no. 1 IMO for windows phone

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I've thought about this and it seems pretty obvious: Windows phone would be more popular if the handsets were the same form. The 920 could have held the 1020 and some extra battery making it the ultimate phone. 3000+mah and 41megapix. 3rd party accessory makers would give the Lumia line a great edge if that were the case. Instead we get Lumia phones of all shapes and sizes. There was zero need for the silver dollar sized bump on the back of the 1020. Now that Microsoft owns a phone maker, its possible. Not everything crApple is bad, the single form factor of the iPhone is at the top of why its so popular. You can buy an accessory for anything.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
There was zero need for the silver dollar sized bump on the back of the 1020.

You're kidding right? You realize what all goes into the 1020 camera? A sensor 3 times the size of other smartphone sensors, six Zeiss lenses, two flashes, mechanical shutter, etc. You think Nokia didn't try to make that as small as possible?

I think you need some lessons in product design and engineering before you pass such judgement on form variations.

Even Apple has separate forms now with the 5s and 5c. And it looks like they will increase that variation this year with a larger screen premium phone.

Tummala Rahul

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Nope, that would be a silly move. If everything looked the same there would be no visual differentiator between high end and low end lumias. I mean we can differentiate between a 1020 920 and 520 due these differences. If they were the same size, then people who can actually afford high end phones would go to other manufacturers/platforms. After all, if you are paying so much, you would want your phone to stand out in the crowd wouldn't you?

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Uniformity is boring, its one reason people leave iPhone. Additionally, different consumers have different requirements, like screen size and RAM. Different specs also allow for different price points, which is often a major part of the consumers final decision.
I for one would hate for all windows phones to be the same standard shape and have identical features.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't care how popular my phone is: au contraire. The 1020 may very well be my forever phone, but I own two Windows phones now, and will probably add a 1520, or 1520-like (large, expandable) one. I've always valued the choices WP offers, and definitely don't want a generic option that could potentially, maybe make the masses happy.

BTW, Android, not Apple, dominates the smartphone market -by far, and quite indiscriminate variety marks those offerings.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow, some sensitive people here. Sorry, a 1020 that is as thick as the 920 wouldn't be horrible at all. The 920 isn't as thick as its being made out to be here. What I was saying is if the back case stuck out as far as the "bump", there wouldn't be any bump. Fill it with battery. Sorry guys, FACT the 920 sold way better than the 1020. A 1020 with twice the battery? Ya, horrible. What the hell was I thinking. As for the uniformity argument and not caring if its popular; we batter damn well care if its popular. Otherwise.... Heard of blackberry? Oooo ya, remember them? Positioned for business use, like windows phone is with enterprise. I don't think any of us want that to happen. Some of you sound like the Apple crowd did about a decade ago btw. Love my windows phone. Don't want it to go away because of illogical thinking.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
...and android only dominates the market due to the sheer fact that there are so many different android phones, NOT the quality of the OS. Android is crap, period. Apple is at the top, sheer quantity in the market doesnt mean anything, due to the quality of the product and the fact it is being absorbed into everything from cars to homes(not just apps). I dont understand this sect of people on this forum that like being barely ahead of crack-berry. WINDOWS PHONE WILL DIE IN 5YRS, GIVE OR TAKE, IF IT ISNT MARKETED TO THE MASSES. You need to realize Microsoft wont keep the phone going to satisfy 4% market share much longer. Dont give me Brazil or anywhere else where its growing. The USA is what matters.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with you that MS needs more organization and structure in their linup. Right now, at least for most people, it's just a jumble of numbers, with no clear indication of what someone should be interested in. The current number-scheme doesn't even work as an accurate representation of price or where the device lies in the food-chain.

I don't think having one single design is a good idea, but I would like to see a product portfolio where every device targets a specific niche and the model name makes it instantly clear which niche that is. For the more important/larger niches, I'd like to see multiple choices at different price points, and a phablet combining the best out of all devices (where space constraints aren't really as much of an issue).

That is what I'd recommend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)