Lumia 1020 still worth it October 2014?

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
My father has a 1520, and I own a 1020.

They are both great phones.

With the 1020 I capture amazing photos, and with the camera grip and a bipod I can easily take videos.
Since it's an AMOLED display, it has a pure black, and vivid colors.

The 1520 is really nice for its wide screen, and its more pumped up specs.
If you play Asphalt on it, your first reaction will be "Wow!".
Also the big screen comes handy to watch videos, read emails and books, surf on the net, and anything else you usually do.
The screen uses IPS technology, so the colors will be more natural than the 1020, but the black color will "suffer".
Even if the size may seem too big (6 inches), I have cargo pants, and suits perfectly in the side pockets. I'm not sure if it suits well in jeans.

(this is the second time I entirely re-write the comment. When I quote, and then send the message it's like it disappears, and that's really annoying. Maybe it's the unsufficient permissions since I'm new and my first 10 messages cannot contain any link?)

Marco Antonio3

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually I took a look at the 930, and I like it. My preference I sampled and it is pretty nice phone. Which do you prefer the 930 or the 1520? I live in the US and. I will still buy global 939 cuz I don't like verizon and 930 has more color options

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you value, and whether you have superior alternatives. I paid $279 for a mint one on Ebay in June, and last month I turned down a $300 offer for my still-mint +accessories from a photographer friend. It's still worth more to me, and I couldn't come up with a price I'd take for her other than a "honestly, whatever another mint one -plus accessories- would cost me".

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I was going to provide my input but it seems like you've decided. But for those that are wondering, I think the 1020 is worth it. I just got one for my birthday this month and I'm absolutely loving it for pictures. I'm not too worried about space because I move my pictures to my external storage. I'm with T-Mobile USA and we never get any good high-end phone anyways.

My 1020 is the unlocked version from the Microsoft Store. LTE works just fine. I had the Lumia 810 with a wireless back cover. So i had to get the wireless back for the 1020. $25 from Microsoft Store online, brand new. Now I'm waiting for my DT-900 from eBay and tempered glass screen protector from Amazon.

Absolutely loving the Lumia 1020!

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you want a fast phone with modern features like HD screen, 4K video recording, sensor core, miracast, and Hey Cortana, then it's not the phone to get. However, if you prefer photography to those features, then it's still an amazing camera that can produce the best images of any phone. And it's only 330 on Amazon. The only reason the 1020 wouldn't be a good buy for a photography person is if they can't afford to get it and then upgrade to the 1030 if it comes out in the next few months. The 1030 will probably not have any of the above shortcomings.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
XT14N said:
That's unreal boss! How?! You use any of those news aggregators like Weave and Feedly third-party apps?
I charge it during the evening and unplug it (actually, I use the wireless charging case but you get the idea) before going to sleep.
I use NextGen Reader and of course, if I capture a lot of photos or use NextGenReader in the public transportation, it will drain faster, but usually, I'm never shot of battery by the end of the day.

I've uninstalled unused apps, have groomed every app which is allowed to run in background. Oh and when I've upgraded to Cyan (and I intend to do the same with Denim or GDR1 if it comes before the FW), I've charged my battery to the max but I have applied the upgrade unplugged. This helps a lot: people upgrading whilst leaving the device on charge have lost batterylife (or alleged battery life, what the phone thinks it is).

And that's it. I do love my 1020 :)

qnc

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I just got the phone recently and you can not beat the photos it captures. If you are not worried about the app ecosystem then it is a great phone in my opinion.

I have fast 4g speeds, great camera, apps that I need are available.

I agree with others here. Do not get it on contract save your upgrade for something else. With that said I would get the phone.

Even with all the upgrades that are out there this will always be a great camera and it beats carrying around my DSL all the time.

AlanCampot

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I'm new in the forum and I'd like to give you one more opinion (if you haven't decided yet).
First of all, I'm from Buenos Aires so my english may not be the best. Excuse me for that.
With that being set, let me tell you about my experience with the 1020. I bought the phone exactly one month ago for ARS4000 (about USD470). Electronic devices are a bit expensive here. Previously owned a Nokia N8, a real legend that's been with me for about 3 years (and still working perfectly).
Why did I choose the 1020 instead of, for example, a Galaxy S4? Well, because of the camera. This thing absolutely OUTPERFORMS anything out there. I compared it to an Iphone 5, Iphone 6, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X, LG G2, Xperia Z2, and guess who wins. Of course. In every aspect. Every other phone may take 20 photos while my 1020 takes only one, but put those 20 photos together and mine is still better. It takes a while to learn to control it, but once you know how to use the ProCam app, results are amazing.
Oh, I almost forgot. It does not need a million of cores, even with two cores it can run smoothly and manage with several apps at the same time.
Cons? Well, the lack of an SD card slot, but the 22/23GB are enough, at least for me.
Every Lumia with WP will satisfy your needs. They are amazing phones, and Android fags know that. Your friends will hate you when their Android devices freeze and restart while your Lumia stay in mint conditions for several years.
Now go to the store, take a picture with the 1020, smile, flutter, and then buy it.

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine over the weekend. White one, with matching DC-18 power bank and camera grip plus capdase xpose transparent case. Loving the phone so far, had the false Denim update... Eh... It's something... I'm going to use it as is anyway. Battery life could be better for sure, and the heat when playing complex 3d games can be a bit unbearable if not for the additional case. Still, the camera... I'm just speechless... So far everything on auto came out ridiculously good. Tried the manual settings and I only got 2/10 good photos... But those 2 photos are just stupidly good.

I really wish the Denim update could improve the 1020 battery life, having an extra power bank comes in handy but I prefer not having to carry things around.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine a year ago, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. The camera is awesome and everything else has held up too.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
wow Man, I dont know this thread still goes on. Okay, I just upgraded from 925 to 1020.

First check the ZOOMING power at clear sun light.

WP_20141018_16_01_28_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20141018_16_01_28_Pro__highres_crop.jpg

I didnt' even know there was a girl at the far end, well "MORE THAN YOUR EYES CAN SEE"

WP_20141018_18_54_13_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20141018_19_12_33_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20141018_19_23_30_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20141018_18_46_49_Pro__highres.jpg

Finally this is a HDR image combined with 5 photos just for fun.
hafenstrasse.jpg

I am not an expert, but I think these photos show you what a 1020 can do.

If you are not convinced, jsut go to FlickR and compare photos from 1020 to the others, then you can decide.

PS: maybe I am using 64 GB, I think the shoot to shoot time quite okay, not bad. 2 to 3 seconds for me.

Last edited:

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Impressive pics. Have had mine for a couple weeks. I'm going to Hawaii in early Nov. I have a feeling I'll be doing some zooming & cropping @ the beach. 😜

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Next month I'm buying a new 920.
I wish I had the extra cash to get a 1020.
I want one really bad.
Where do you live? The 1020 in my country is about US$500 brand new, with a 6 months financing option. For an extra 6 months, there seems to be no immediate replacement for the 1020, I'd say, it's still good for that time period. My cousin used the 920 for almost a year, and he still loves the phone.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Where do you live? The 1020 in my country is about US$500 brand new, with a 6 months financing option. For an extra 6 months, there seems to be no immediate replacement for the 1020, I'd say, it's still good for that time period. My cousin used the 920 for almost a year, and he still loves the phone.

Im in the US. I'm planning on using Cricket wireless prepaid, because of the 10gb , $60 plan.
Its part of AT&T now and uses GSM phones.

You can get a brand new unlocked 920 in the US for $180-$200 shipped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise