[L1020] Camera hangs?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Recently I got this problem with my 1020's camera: when I use Lumia Camera, sometimes the app hangs after the first snap and won't respond unless I reboot my phone.
Even if I close it through the task manager, the camera will be unusable upon restarting the app and the lens cover stays open until I reboot and successfully snap a picture afterwards.

Anyone got the same problem? This random stuff is getting annoying, really... I've already encountered it three times this week -_-
I'm running PfD on latest OS, firmware version, and Lumia Camera app btw.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Recently I got this problem with my 1020's camera: when I use Lumia Camera, sometimes the app hangs after the first snap and won't respond unless I reboot my phone.
Even if I close it through the task manager, the camera will be unusable upon restarting the app and the lens cover stays open until I reboot and successfully snap a picture afterwards.

Anyone got the same problem? This random stuff is getting annoying, really... I've already encountered it three times this week -_-
I'm running PfD on latest OS, firmware version, and Lumia Camera app btw.

I am also experiencing this problem in my L1020, but only when I wake up the phone with the camera button and then take a photo while the phone is locked. Lumia Camera will say it's "Saving" for several minutes... only to find out that the photo is missing.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine happened even if I didn't start the camera when it was locked, though...

I wonder if it's something to do with the Preview for Developers...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
After a phone restart (yesterday), I haven't experienced the same issue again. I think it begins to happen when I attempt to take a photo under lock screen, i.e. by launching the camera while the phone is locked and then taking a photo. As long as I don't that, the camera doesn't hang.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully not a hardware issue, but rather just a firmware issue. Try disabling "PFD". I've observed increased responsiveness in my L1020 without having to restart my phone just by unchecking "PFD" in the PFD app. At the same time, "Denim" appears under extras+info when PFD is unchecked - a glitch since Denim hasn't been rolled out for the L1020 yet, but it is possibly caused by having most of the Denim features available already through PFD.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've also had this issue recently, which is strange because I can't remember any updates besides the PFD update I installed a while ago...and even then I'm pretty sure my camera was working fine

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same thing with lumia camera. The workaround was to go to the start screen, wait for about five to ten seconds and then launch the camera app either by pressing the camera button or tapping live tile etc. Either way, it was really annoying because it just froze when you most needed your camera (the screen capture worked btw. but it was of course only a screen capture of a picture...) and then the phone had to be restarted to stop the camera module heating up.

gjo67

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
hello.

I had the same problem. try phone settings , photos + camera . Uncheck " preventer accidental camera launch When phone is locked" .

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've encountered the freezing problem after the first photo after unlocking the phone just a few hours ago. Fortunately, I had a bit of luxury of time (and I couldn't risk losing the photo since the scene of strangers has already changed), so I waited... after around 5 minutes, the camera "Saving..." disappeared and was ready for the next shot.

I guess taking a photo at the same time the phone is scheduled to update some of the pinned tiles is a bad idea.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh. I've never had the time and nerve to wait what happens. In my case the metallic hump around the camera got a bit too hot for my liking and I was afraid of the stabilizer working the whole time and wearing it's bearings. That I think wouldn't be a problem if the phone can just sit still at the table.

I somehow imagined that the problem was somewhere with the image being processed and actually being written on the memory which isn't for some reason ready to be written at and the program just hanging because of that.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh. I've never had the time and nerve to wait what happens. In my case the metallic hump around the camera got a bit too hot for my liking and I was afraid of the stabilizer working the whole time and wearing it's bearings. That I think wouldn't be a problem if the phone can just sit still at the table.

I somehow imagined that the problem was somewhere with the image being processed and actually being written on the memory which isn't for some reason ready to be written at and the program just hanging because of that.

Yes. It just happened to me again a few hours ago, and the luxury of time didn't work this time. However, I noticed that when the photo was taken with, for example, Lumia Camera then the app freezes, the lens cover remains open and the OIS remains active. Closing the app doesn't close the lens cover nor does it deactivate the OIS. Trying to launch a different camera app will display a black screen, but with the complete camera icons on the display - this is true except for the frozen camera app, where it would just say either "Loading" or "Resuming". Hence, it seems to be a problem with Lumia Camera*.

The only way to close the lens cover is to restart the phone and to launch any camera app when the phone comes back to life (and exiting that camera app, of course).

*- I think this happened also with ProShot, making me think that it has something to do with the high-resolution image processing, which is in line with your conjecture.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have also discovered side effects of this bug. Last time it occurred I was in Barcelona, for a trip, so taking a lot of pics. I didn't notice immediately, but MSN Weather and News stopped receiving updates automatically. A week later, I had to soft reset my device (thank you VLC lol), and then it came back. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it means that after this camera freeze bug you notice something weird, don't hesitate to soft reset your device.

Now about the bug fix firmware. We generally have 3051.50009.1424.xxxx Cyan firmware on our devices. There is a 3051.50009.1447.0001 rolled out on Finnish country variants 1020 (and 925 by the way) since the beginning of December. "Denim", for us, won't be more than GDR1 and this Cyan+ firmware update.

I'm worried to see that, unlike other low end or older devices, the 1020 hasn't received GDR1 (520 etc. have the same scheme, Cyan+ and latest GDR1). Only the O2 branded 1020 received "Denim", but it's exactly the same Cyan FW (1424) and an older GDR1.

So nobody can say today (except lucky Finnish guys) if "Denim" will fix our 1020s or not.

Looking forward to receive that update by the end of this month!

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually had that finnish denim update for Lumia 1020 but I wasn't able to test if that bug is fixed or not. I had to send my phone to warranty service and I might get it back in friday if I'm lucky. Then maybe I can test if it's fixed.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 is back from warranty service and so far the camera has worked flawlessly. I'm running developer preview of course so maybe it's fixed at some point in the past few weeks. I'll report here if it hangs again but I'm not using L1020 that much because it's not my primary phone anymore.

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having this problem, though it is less prevalent now. To reiterate, it hangs after you take the first photo, right? You can close the app through holding the "Back" button and swiping down the camera app, but the lens cover will remain open.

I suspect that it is because of the DNG mode? When I capture only in JPEG format (5 + 34/38 MP), this issue is less frequent.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having this problem, though it is less prevalent now. To reiterate, it hangs after you take the first photo, right? You can close the app through holding the "Back" button and swiping down the camera app, but the lens cover will remain open.

I suspect that it is because of the DNG mode? When I capture only in JPEG format (5 + 34/38 MP), this issue is less frequent.
Yes. After taking a picture it hangs in the "Saving..." -sequence. Phone has to be rebooted to get rid of that camera module being active. It doesn't happen all the time, I'd say approximately 1 times of 10. Now I've tried to replicate issue with my 1020 but so far no luck, it has worked without a problem. And yes, I use always JPEG + DNG.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There are some tricks to reduce the frequency, like uninstalling the official Twitter app (don't know why, but many users have reported that).

And most of the time, a reboot will do it, but I've discovered that a soft reset is sometimes needed (if not, after the reboot, the MSN Weather/News would stop updating).

Can't wait that 1447.000x firmware, don't know why Microsoft have pushed them (except on the FI Country Variant) since early Dec.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3