1020 - Camera screeching - FIXED

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys.

Yesterday evening, I noticed my 1020 would make an odd sound when focusing or in video mode. This sound does not come from the speakers - it comes clearly from within the camera unit itself. The sound can only be described as like an opening metal gate that needs oiling - unfortunately I can't post a link (I haven't yet posted here 10 times, so I can't post links yet), but typing "Lumia 1020 squeak" into YouTube will likely come up with a video or two of what I mean.

I believe it is to do with how the camera focuses, and this now makes videoing useless, as the sound comes out in that, but this issue has not yet affected the camera, apart from the noise it makes before taking the shot - however upon researching I have read that this issue may get worse, so I don't know what the long-term effects may be on the camera as a whole.

I have looked around the web for similar situations, and found a few, however none have stated whether a phone with this issue can be repaired - I do not wish to have to replace this particular device, for sentimental reasons. Has anyone had such an issue, and if so, how was it fixed? Will the 1020's discontinued status mean that Microsoft having replacement camera parts will be less likely?

I am in the UK, and I am considering sending it off for repair sometime in the future, so if anyone has any experience with Nokia/Microsoft's UK repairs, and perhaps even an estimate of what the work may cost, that'd be great too.

EDIT: The issue has been fixed - I have updated this thread with the process as I went along. Hope this is of use to someone with a similar issue!

Last edited:

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: 1020 - Camera screeching

I would send it off on Monday so you get it repaired before Xmas. I sent my Lumia off for a repair and it was done in a week with no problems at all. I'm sure you don't want your camera to fail when you film on Xmas day... Best send it off Monday

Mpkinguk

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

I have sent mine back to Nokia "care" 3 times and they still haven't been able to fix it.

Each time it comes back as "passed". I turn it on, and within 10 seconds of opening the camera app, it happens.

So I wouldn't hold your breath. Sorry.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys, thought I'd post an update on this.

Finally got the chance to take my phone to the nearest Care centre - this was the soonest I'd been able to head in the direction, it's not that close to me. The Care centre was not owned by Nokia/Microsoft, but was licensed to carry out authorised assessments and repairs (I found out about this centre by going on the official Microsoft site, so it's all genuine). I decided against sending it off - I'd prefer to have more control over the assessment process by actually talking to the technicians and demonstrating the issue, it'd save time and I could keep my phone whilst waiting for parts, and it also cuts the risk of the phone being lost in the system.

So, I told them about the issue, and when I demonstrated the screeching noise (by holding the phone upside down and tilting the USB end away), they confirmed my suspicions by agreeing it was very likely to do with the camera module itself, and the stabilisation within. Weirdly, they hadn't heard of this issue before. Thankfully, a repair is possible. The camera module itself would be replaced, which would take just an hour, and they could do it on site without sending it away - which was great news. Even better, was that despite the fact that the camera is the most expensive part of the phone (more so than the display, so we're talking a large sum of money here), it'll still be covered under the Manufacturer's Warranty.

The only thing that may become an issue is the fact that a couple of these modules have been on order by the centre for over a week, whereas normally they arrive within a few days. This, I was told, may mean the availability of parts is low. They said they'll contact Microsoft/Nokia and will be in contact soon with any news. If they get the part delivered to them, then I'll travel back sometime soon after, and get the repair done. The solution may very well be in sight.

I'll try and remember to keep posting updates as they happen - I can remember when I first found the problem, I looked desperately to see how other people faired with it in the end, and to my disappointment I found no luck. Hopefully, if someone is looking like I was, they might wander upon this thread.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I also had this with my Lumia 1020, and it too was covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Took it back to the store where I bought it from and it was sent away for two weeks on repair. Came back and they had just replaced the entire camera module. Hopefully the screeching won't come back :sweaty:

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Small update: I've been contacted today - the replacement camera unit has arrived. Looks like I'll be heading there soon for the repair.

Spaha-BiH

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Same problem I had
I was lucky so my warranty still aplies, so they change camera module, and now thanks God, everything is okay

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Success!

Visited the centre for the repair today, and handed over both the 1020 and the original box to the technicians - I took the box because I presumed they'd want to see the IMEI. I was told the repair would take around 45 minutes, so I left them to it and returned almost an hour later. Like the other commenters on this thread, the camera module had been replaced with a new one, as I had expected. This was all under the 24 month Manufacturer's Warranty. The module is sealed, so the technicians couldn't pinpoint the cause of the sound, but they believed it had something to do with a 'focus ring' inside - I'm presuming this is connected to the 'floating' lenses on the OIS.

The new camera is great, works just as well as the old one, but thankfully without that horrible screeching and whistling - it's as quiet as it was when I first got the phone. I've also noticed that the rattling when I shake the phone has quietened too - I was pretty sure it rattled more since I first noticed the issue, and now it's fixed, it has gone back down to what it used to be like. The rest of the phone is in exactly the same condition as it went in - no scratches, nicks or signs of work, they took very good care of it. I'm very pleased with how taking it there worked out, the service was fantastic, and I know where I'll be heading if anything else happens to this phone or any other Lumia's I pick up along the line. For now though, my 1020 feels good as new.

Sauron_EH

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi,I've just replaced the camera module due to the squeaky sound of the OIS and it seems it's fixed, but when I was replacing it I realized that the old camera module had a copper colour sticker on it and the new one doesn't. Does anybody know what it is? Should I peel it off from the old module and paste it on the new one?

Thanks in advance

Sauron_EH

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
That copper sticker is a heatsink, and yes, you should put it on the new one.
Thanks mate! And should it be touching both metallic parts on the camera? Because I've seen touching them in some cases (like in this picture) and others cases don't.
JPnC6md.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa